Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson

TroutDog

There were many TBD GM’s who commented on Beane’s stupidity to let them both walk. Hmmmmmm. 

Shaq was non-existent on the field in their last game (literally ZERO stats) and Phillips has a TOTAL of ten tackles, an assist and two sacks. https://www.nfl.com/players/jordan-phillips/stats/career

Looking at reality, who was right, Beane or the individuals who called these decisions poor? For me it is fairly clear that Beane was. 

With that being said, the defenses around the NFL were hung out to dry this year with no time to gel. That is why I hate what the NFLPA arguing for not having any preseason work: the play on the field was, definitively, less than what we have come to expect from a defensive standpoint. 

Anyway, I digress. Thoughts on letting those two go?

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• TroutDog changed the title to Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson

As I said at the time......well done by McBeane not giving Shaq the 5th year extension.

That's the only reason they got any good football out of him at all.

Jordan Phillips was a long prior proven unaccountable dude on a contract run as well.

They got the most out of both of them.

• Like (+1) 16

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

There were many TBD GM’s who commented on Beane’s stupidity to let them both walk. Hmmmmmm. 

Shaq was non-existent on the field in their last game (literally ZERO stats) and Phillips has a TOTAL of ten tackles, an assist and two sacks. https://www.nfl.com/players/jordan-phillips/stats/career

Looking at reality, who was right, Beane or the individuals who called these decisions poor? For me it is fairly clear that Beane was. 

With that being said, the defenses around the NFL were hung out to dry this year with no time to gel. That is why I hate what the NFLPA arguing for not having any preseason work: the play on the field was, definitively, less than what we have come to expect from a defensive standpoint. 

Big Stuff was hurt for a lot of the season, so you can't just look at his stat line.

I really wish we had paid him because he was a lot like Dion... his attitude and playfulness was something that our D line fed off of. 

I'd take Phillips and another DE over Addison, but that's just my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 3

Yeah I wasn't high on them and glad they didn't return. 

I appreciated Shaq his last year. And I loved Jordan Phillips's hype.  He'd always be throwing his hands up to get the crowd pumping or after a sack he'd smack his thigh pads. He made me want to jump through a wall a couple times. 

Hopefully they let Addison, Jefferson (maybe butler) walk to try to keep Mango, Williams, and Milano. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Big Stuff was hurt for a lot of the season, so you can't just look at his stat line.

I really wish we had paid him because he was a lot like Dion... his attitude and playfulness was something that our D line fed off of. 

I won’t argue that other than saying if you knew they’d be where they are now would you still argue to pay him?

I loved the guy but the results are in the puddin’, as they say. 😃 

1 minute ago, papazoid said:

neither was worth what they got.....beane wins

Agreed...obviously. 😃 

Just now, TroutDog said:

I won’t argue that other than saying if you knew they’d be where they are now would you still argue to pay him?

I loved the guy but the results are in the puddin’, as they say. 😃 

Results in Arizona are from their team, not from ours really... I just wish he had stayed.

The Bills not drafting Dobbins and drafting Moss instead was where I got pissed off... but ohh well, I'm not complaining one bit. Que sera, sera :)

Well, when your GM drafts the Mandalorian as your teams QB, he’s bound to be right more frequently that the fans..., just sayin 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Well, when your GM drafts the Mandalorian as your teams QB, he’s bound to be right more frequently that the fans..., just sayin 

Go Bills!!!

I’m still holding on for finishing season two...and am taking a ton of heat from friends for it as they want to discuss! Been too wrapped up in Bills football! 🦬🏈

• Like (+1) 1

I was fine letting Phillips walk for the money he was being offered. They had already drafted Oliver and there was no way they were keeping Phillips.

I posted at the time and still stand by they should have picked up Lawson's 5th year option and let Murphy walk.  Murphy has been terrible his entire Bills career.  Lawson has had some moments and was by far the better player in 2019.  I will admit I didn't follow him at all this year so I won't offer commentary on his performance. All I know is Murphy was inactive during the time the defense played the best this year and likely won't be active in the playoffs barring injury. 

Either way, they still have a hole at DE.  Johnson didn't make any strides and Hughes/Addison are old.  

I did not like the Epenesa pick either, but I do like what they asked him to do. I like him more at a quick 260 than a slow 285.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Big Stuff was Dareus.

Some fans just love irreverent clowns like Phillips and Stevie Johnson.

One of the worst things about the drought was seeing a generation of fans who only knew losing learn to idolize losers like that who would selfishly put themselves in front of the team with stupid personal foul penalties and bulletin board material etc..

McBeane has done a good job managing a range of personalities but giving dudes like that big money makes it even harder to reign in their antics.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Neither were "right".  Both players were likely a product of the system and their role in it.  If they had come back, there's a good chance they'd have kept up their level of play in the same system.  Neither were good enough to excel on their own outside of Buffalo.  There's a good case to make that they should have been kept regardless of what they've done with other teams.  That being said, the cap space can be used elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, Domitian said:

Neither were "right".  Both players were likely a product of the system and their role in it.  If they had come back, there's a good chance they'd have kept up their level of play in the same system.  Neither were good enough to excel on their own outside of Buffalo.  There's a good case to make that they should have been kept regardless of what they've done with other teams.  That being said, the cap space can be used elsewhere.  

Ok...seems to be quite a bit of guessing in there but if that’s how you feel. 

20 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Expect much of the same rhetoric being sprouted around here when Beane lets Darryl Williams walk this off-season.

• Sad 1

Just now, nedboy7 said:

Some good old ex Bills bashing!!  It had been a while. 

Please...I’m not bashing them. I loved them both when they were here and look at my history: I pull for any young guy to get chances to a fault. 

2 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Expect much of the same rhetoric being sprouted around here when Beane lets Darryl Williams walk this off-season.

Not the same, in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Domitian said:

Isn't the forum for discussion of ideas like that?

Sure, if you provide some facts. 

I’m not belittling you, just commented on your post. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

One of many good moves.  Trading away Marcel and Watkins were very unpopular with some of the fan base and now it’s indisputable that they were the right moves.  Same with Phillips and Shaq, even though they produced and were fan favorites they weren’t worth what some in the open market were willing to pay.   

Now we gotta see what they do with Milano.  Personally I’d love to see them sign him to another deal, just not sure they will do it.   We have an OT that we need to sign and that probably ends up more of a priority.

• Like (+1) 1