Possible Bills off season moves.

Adamb412

28 minutes ago, Magox said:

Yes they have, but there are some tough decisions coming up such as Daryl Williams and Milano.  These guys will most likely command over $10M a year.

True. I've read somewhere that Milano wants to be here for his career, so I think they could keep him for < $10m.  As I mentioned, I think Feliciano is a priority given that he is a poster boy for "the process," and he can play all three interior positions well. Signing Milano and Feliciano would leave Williams out of the mix, unless they made some other surprising move?

I think OL is where the most difficult decisions will be.  I think Boettger has solidified the LG spot.  Ethan-iP suggested Morse as a possible casualty, especially given his concussion history.  Would they let Morse go and put Feliciano at C? Do they think Ford can play RT?

Two possible combos: 1) Dawkins, Boettger, Morse, Feliciano, Ford;  or 2) Dawkins, Boettger, Feliciano, Ford, Williams.....? These questions will have to be addressed after they win the Super Bowl...

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Ertz will be 31 and has looked slow this season.  Someone will pay him given that there aren't 32 good pass-catching TEs in the league but I hope it's not us.  Gesicki would be great.

Can we sign Julie and let the Eagles keep Zach?

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Intriguing choices.

Do you think Samuel is a realistic option for us?

I read this and thought, "Yeah isn't he like retired by now?" Then I realized it was his kid.  I will now go back to my rocking chair and resume yelling at neighborhood children.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

I know we are humming along but I think in the off season there is a few upgrades we have to make and here is what I think we can do 

Zach ertz 

Im not sure what his deal is but he is obviously talented and I think he would take our offense to the next level. 

NY Giants

Look I don't know what the giants are doing but I propose this 

Singletary  and our 1st round pick for Saquon.  Obviously Saquon would be a huge upgrade and we have Zack moss and other depth at RB. I think they would listen...

Thoughts?

You've done too many trades on Madden.  Giants are not trading Barkley, and more importantly...no way Beane gives up a first for a RB coming off an ACL tear and 1 year from a big contract.

Ertz is a real possibility. 

28 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Intriguing choices.

Do you think Samuel is a realistic option for us?

According to the draft experts, yes. He projects to more of a slot type CB because of his height (5'10"). My worry is Zaven Collins. I'm hoping he slides down due to teams needing QBs, OL, EDGE, CBs, WRs. All the experts have Micah Parsons and Owosu ahead of him but I'm imaging 6'4" 260 next to Tremaine Edmunds. The dude can move at that size. He'd be able to take on linemen against the run and can cover. Fun fact, Collins was a QB in high school

• Like (+1) 2

I like Feliciano and think he is a good guy and a solid lineman, but I think he is overrated by this board. If we pay him 8M+ a year like some want to and lose Williams, I think we will regret it. He is a solid guard, but should not be too highly paid. Guards can be found, and are not worth paying a premium for. Just look at Boettger, who was an undrafted free agent and has done pretty well. We also have Cody Ford, who the Bills seem to love for some reason despite underwhelming play. Ford at RT was a disaster, and if he is going to be in the lineup it would be a lot better if he was at guard. I would much rather extend Daryl Williams at 11-12M a year, because losing him leaves a much bigger hole. He has done a great job this year, he should definitely be the priority over Feliciano.

We also definitely need to bring back Milano, as long as his contract isn't too crazy. I think we will cut ties with John Brown to save money, which is unfortunate, and we will have to replace him somehow. Could Kenny Stills be an option to replace him on the cheap? I think we also have to cut 2 of Jefferson, Addison, and Butler due to their salaries and meh performance, and will need to find replacements for them. Hopefully this can be done with some lower level free agency signings or the draft. 

I'm very excited for the offseason (after our long playoff run), I think we can make a great team even better. 

• Like (+1) 1

Potential moves that I see. 

Cuts or Contract Reno's:

Star - though 2022 may be more likely

Morse - Injury history, out in 2021 w $10M+ savings

Addison - Out in 2021 w $10M+ savings

J Brown - $10M savings - odd man out? 

Hughes  - Out in 2021 w nearly $10M savings

Butler - Out in 2021 w nearly $8M savings

Jefferson - Out in 2021 w nearly $8M savings

Not Resigning

Murphy - Done deal

Kroft - Done deal

Nsekhe - Likely gone. May be back cheap.

Milano - Big ?. Dont think Bills offer a big contract but someone else may be willing to. 

D Williams - Looking for big $?

McK - Crowded room.

Norman - Depends on $

Barkley - who knows

Yeldon - Gone

Resign

A Roberts - See him resigned

Feliciano - Q Spain like deal?

Winters - Cheap deal.

Boettger - Cheap deal

Free Agents - With cuts could have more $ than we think

Needs will likely be OL, TE, DL and always looking at DB's/LB's

CB - Des King, M Hilton

OL - Linsley (C), Mack (C), Moton (T)

TE - Everett, McDonald, Cook

Edge - V Miller, Griffen

LB - Hewitt

Draft

OL, LB, DL

Didn't see this posted and this might be a good thread to do so:

Random PFF prediction, but I find it interesting due to combination of reasonable guesses and total nonsense. As far as Bills are concerned, they have 5 players predicted to us:

LB Matt Milano - 45/4

RT Daryl Williams - 31,5/3

CB Richard Sherman - 28/2

RB Chris Carson - 27/3

EDGE Trey Hendrickson 45/4

As for our guys, I think resigning Williams for 10,5 AAV would be great. Milano's numbers would be fine if he was healthy, and since often he is not, I hope they resign him for 32/4 or so.

Sherman and Carson are as bad predictions as they come. I see zero chance that we sign any RB for 9M AAV, and I'd be shocked if we signed Sherman, let alone for 14M a year. As far as I understand we also don't have a cap space to do so unless we start cutting guys like Brown.

Hendrickson I have no idea about but I doubt we will have cap space to sign another DE for 11M a year, even if we cut all Dlinemen we can.

Edited by No_Matter_What
Added Hendrickson, I missed him first time around.

On 1/5/2021 at 6:45 AM, Seoulofstone said:

It's a great year to play the comp picks game, with the cap freeze. People act like Milano , Williams and Feliciano are irreplaceable because they have been success stories. Milano is an oft injured 5th rnd LB, Williams is an oft injured 3rd rnd OL who has endured far more down than up seasons, and Feliciano I was pulled off a practice squad. 

I mean good luck to them, they will all deservedly get paid somewhere, but to me it screams sell high and replace in the draft. When will people trust the staff's ability to draft and develop?

Some of these positions that you mention require continuity...You cannot just take a draft pick and put him  there and hope everything remains same.   I agree in principle your thoughts though.  THe Bills should not fear about losing people in FA

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

Some of these positions that you mention require continuity...You cannot just take a draft pick and put him  there and hope everything remains same.   I agree in principle your thoughts though.  THe Bills should not fear about losing people in FA

In a perfect world I would keep them all.

I agree that continuity is important especially on the OLine. But with that in mind, remember Feliciano missed the first half of the season, and Williams hasnt even been here a year. Just as you can't promise an adequate replacement, who is to say you can't draft a really good player?

If we have a postseason run, their market will change, Williams becomes a $14 mill tackle, Feliciano a $7 mill guard.

Milano has the athletic traits of a 5th rounder.  He works well in this system, but he is an average run defender who misses tackles in the open. He's best as a cover defender. You can get the same player in the 3rd or 4th in Pete Werner.

I get the attachment to the players. These guys have been fantastic for the Bills. I loved the story when Milano and Davis arranged for that kid to get the new blades. Their play has earned them the opportunity to score the biggest contract available and we should trust McB with the reload.

On 1/5/2021 at 2:41 PM, ngbills said:

Potential moves that I see. 

Cuts or Contract Reno's:

Star - though 2022 may be more likely

Morse - Injury history, out in 2021 w $10M+ savings

Addison - Out in 2021 w $10M+ savings

J Brown - $10M savings - odd man out? 

Hughes  - Out in 2021 w nearly $10M savings

Butler - Out in 2021 w nearly $8M savings

Jefferson - Out in 2021 w nearly $8M savings

Not Resigning

Murphy - Done deal

Kroft - Done deal

Nsekhe - Likely gone. May be back cheap.

Milano - Big ?. Dont think Bills offer a big contract but someone else may be willing to. 

D Williams - Looking for big $?

McK - Crowded room.

Norman - Depends on $

Barkley - who knows

Yeldon - Gone

Resign

A Roberts - See him resigned

Feliciano - Q Spain like deal?

Winters - Cheap deal.

Boettger - Cheap deal

Free Agents - With cuts could have more $ than we think

Needs will likely be OL, TE, DL and always looking at DB's/LB's

CB - Des King, M Hilton

OL - Linsley (C), Mack (C), Moton (T)

TE - Everett, McDonald, Cook

Edge - V Miller, Griffen

LB - Hewitt

Draft

OL, LB, DL

The obvious cuts are D line since they are wildly overpaid in proportion to their production. But McD loves his DT rotation. I think Jefferson may be a casualty since his guaranteed money is mostly gone.  

On 1/4/2021 at 5:45 PM, Adamb412 said:

I know we are humming along but I think in the off season there is a few upgrades we have to make and here is what I think we can do 

Zach ertz 

Im not sure what his deal is but he is obviously talented and I think he would take our offense to the next level. 

NY Giants

Look I don't know what the giants are doing but I propose this 

Singletary  and our 1st round pick for Saquon.  Obviously Saquon would be a huge upgrade and we have Zack moss and other depth at RB. I think they would listen...

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if this is covered elsewhere, but Ertz's Cap hit would be around $12 million, and for me that's a hard pass - that's obviously in terms of a trade. Now, if the Eagles want to eat ~$7 million and cut him, then the Bills could sign him to a FA contract for roughly ~$3 million / AAV for a couple years, but that's the ceiling in my mind. Honestly, I don't even know that I'd want the Bills to sign him for that or maybe at all. People often forget it takes time for a TE to develop, and Knox is right on that development curve. Knox's third year should be a big step forward, but given how raw he was, I'd say his 4th and final year on the Rookie deal is when we see Knox's true potential. That in mind, I'd Draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th round again and let them develop as well since Knox should be trending up (as just stated) and it keeps the spending elsewhere, i.e. the Offensive Line since FA money will be tight. 

Moreover, Ertz playing a Kroft type role doesn't seem to be the kind of thing he'd be looking for since he's at the beginning of the end for his career and would want to revive it somewhere that he can play a more prominent role. Honestly, depending on what the Pats do at QB and if the Eagles cut him, that's a place that would make sense. Use of the position in a McDaniel's system with most likely a young, developing QB would make sense. Several other places come to mind as well.

Here's the link to the Ertz contract for point of reference:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/zach-ertz-12316/

If anyone actually watched Zach Ertz play this year, you would see that he's not the same player. He's more "name" than anything else at this point. He's also still under contract for 2021 and is not currently a free agent. Sure, the Eagles will likely cut him, but until that happens, I'm not sure why we are speculating about signing him. This is like that thread the other day where someone suggested signing Kareem Hunt even though he is under contract through the 2022 season. Does no one bother to do a tiny bit of research before throwing ideas out there?

Regarding Saquon, there is no point talking about it. The proposed trade doesn't make any sense and the Giants would never do that. I don't even think Madden would allow that.

Edited by Tommy

On 1/4/2021 at 8:22 PM, hemma said:

We are the #1 spender on the DL [51 mil] in all the NFL and 3rd with the OL.

Beane might need to do some magic on the DL.  Not sure it’s quite living up to the bill, especially with no wiggle room for next year.

No complaint from me about the ‘return’ on the OL [36 mil].  Been solid.

yeah the DL has been a bit disappointing for the spend.  But, Bean did bring in quite a few people to reach that number, and they have been solid.  The OL job was amazing.  I'd like to somehow shed some DL spend and bring in a pass rusher. 

I think the Bills will make it a priority to find a way to bend the rules and get Christian Wade a 3rd year on the International Player Practice Squad exempt list. That way, we are ensured of one more glorious year of, “ I hope they activate Wade and play him in this meaningless season finale,” threads that we’ve all come to love so much.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Didn't see this posted and this might be a good thread to do so:

Random PFF prediction, but I find it interesting due to combination of reasonable guesses and total nonsense. As far as Bills are concerned, they have 5 players predicted to us:

LB Matt Milano - 45/4

RT Daryl Williams - 31,5/3

CB Richard Sherman - 28/2

RB Chris Carson - 27/3

EDGE Trey Hendrickson 45/4

As for our guys, I think resigning Williams for 10,5 AAV would be great. Milano's numbers would be fine if he was healthy, and since often he is not, I hope they resign him for 32/4 or so.

Sherman and Carson are as bad predictions as they come. I see zero chance that we sign any RB for 9M AAV, and I'd be shocked if we signed Sherman, let alone for 14M a year. As far as I understand we also don't have a cap space to do so unless we start cutting guys like Brown.

Hendrickson I have no idea about but I doubt we will have cap space to sign another DE for 11M a year, even if we cut all Dlinemen we can.

I love seeing Williams and Milano back.  Sherman is interesting.  I haven't watched him much this year, but he does not appear to have played well when I did see him.  Perhaps a better fit in this system.  I like the Carson addition.  Hendrickson would be a really nice addition, albeit hopefully not a one year wonder this season.  

Edited by RyanC883