Possible Bills off season moves.

Adamb412

1 hour ago, Simon said:

He missed one season with the knee injury. That was the only time in the last 4 years he hasn't played a full 16 games.

You want to protect that franchise QB, I think locking in Daryl Williams is priority #1 this offseason.

His only BIG Injury was the ACL, correct. But he was constantly dinged or playing injured and out of position for the Panthers and was very much a utility player.

Based on this year alone and the importance of his position I agree with you, but again for me, this is a sell high situation. I place trust in Beane to find a young cheap alternative.

I agree that Tackle should be a priority though, moreso if Williams leaves because, Nsekhe is also likely gone in FA so they will need a swing tackle too.

Edited by Seoulofstone

8 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I live in SC and followed his career. His only BIG Injury was the ACL, correct. But he was constantly dinged for the Panthers and was very much a utility player.

Based on this year alone and the importance of his position I agree with you, but again for me, this is a sell high situation. I place trust in Beane to find a young cheap alternative.

The only other info injury I saw about him was an ankle tweak that cost him a couple games back in his 2nd year. As for how the Panthers may have used him, I just don't get it. It simply doesn't reconcile with what we saw this year. He was absolutely dominant out there for nearly the entire season. Him and Dawkins both had a rough day on the same week (vs the Chargers I think?) but outside of that he was just stoning guys week after week after week. I'd be curious to see the Bills internal OLine grades cuz I don't think it would be difficult to make a case that he was the Bills best OLineman this season.

When you've got a talent like Josh Allen who's going to be your franchise for the next decade, letting your best OLineman walk right now would be criminal, imo.

On 1/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, TPS said:

Yeah, they really won't have the cap room to make any serious external signings.  OF their UFAs, I think they re-sign Feliciano, Milano, McKenzie, and Marlowe.  On the margin are Roberts, Barkley, and Taiwan Jones.  While I'd like to have Williams back, I don't think they can afford him...

I think you see Murphy leave and a few others cut - I can’t see an off-season where they don’t prioritize re-signing Williams. Beane’s repeatedly put a premium on protecting Josh, and Williams is a huge reason why our pass pro has been exceptional this year. I see us losing him only to a team that overpays, but he’d also be hard-pressed to skip town on an emerging perennial contender. 

After that, Feliciano, Milano, McKenzie in that order. I’d also be surprised to see Roberts go - think they give him another year given the importance Farwell put on him and Beane’s commitment to building out ST. He may draw the line at Taiwan Jones despite him being a top gunner and who knows, I think Antonio Williams bests Yeldon for a line-up spot. Barkley shouldn’t cost much at all, unless they think Fromm is really okay to fill that role. Marlowe may be on the out looking in, but the hope is Beane is staggering contracts and some guys are more willing to stay on an up and coming team.

Can’t forget Diggs likely being reworked too, but the hope has always been to build through the draft, and likely we see OL and Defense this year depending on how the first ~20 picks go.

It’ll be an interesting offseason to follow, but I do see Beane staying true to his stated goal of protecting and supporting Josh first and foremost.

Edited by ctk232

2 hours ago, Domitian said:

The cap is going to drop quite a bit next year, so we probably need to temper expectations, especially with some of the expiring contracts the Bills have.

Doubtful it will drop.  In fact, I'll bet it goes up from the $175 projected.

43 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

His only BIG Injury was the ACL, correct. But he was constantly dinged or playing injured and out of position for the Panthers and was very much a utility player.

I agree that Tackle should be a priority though, moreso if Williams leaves because, Nsekhe is also likely gone in FA so they will need a swing tackle too.

Finding a young, cheap alternative is much easier said than done.  And Williams was 2nd team All-Pro at RT in 2017.  When he returned in 2019, the Panthers oddly played him everywhere but RT (and C).  The Bills signed him and he's proven to be an excellent RT for them, and that's his position.

• Like (+1) 1

I suspect this year they will have a net loss of free agents/cuts.  They will need to shed some dead weight like Murphy.

I'm fine with Knox and Smith and a mid-round rookie for TE.  

They need to spend money to bring back Williams and Milano.  Hopefully they can do both.  They won't have much left after that to spend .

My hunch is they will extend Allen this off-season but after the draft.  They will also pick up the fifth year option on Edmunds.  

It will be interesting to see what they do with Star.  A year away from the game, and who knows how he will come back.  They will shed at least 2 of the following three DL - Addison, Butler, and Jefferson (maybe all three).  I suspect they will bring in one FA DL, plan for Epenesa to start opposite Hughes, hope H Phillips is better an additional year removed from ACL surgery, and draft a true edge player.  

Wallace is a RFA and they will tender him either at the second round level or right of refusal/match level.  He was an UDFA so they can't use the original draft round designation.  Dane looks competent enough to be the 4th DB. I would not be surprised if they let Wallace walk and try to recoup the value by getting a comp pick in 2022. They can’t bring back everyone.

The two biggest salary dump questions will be, do the dump Morse? Brown?  Judging from how McD dealt with Morse/Feliciano after Morse had a concussion and knowing Ford is an option at either G or OT, I think Morse may be the surprise cut of free agency and they find a way to replace him in the draft.

My guess in the draft they will go - C, Edge, OT, TE, RB, and S and trade a pick or two away for next year.   Swap the order if Williams leaves and Morse stays.  

Edited by Ethan in Portland

Ertz hasn't looked great this year, and someone is going to pay him too much. I like bringing in another TE but with our cap space next year I think williams protecting Allen for years to come makes me much happier. And no doubt Barkley is a generational talent, but giving up a #1 and having to pay Barkley seems a steep ask for the front office, remember Allen still has to get paid too and its not gonna be cheap.

56 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

Mack

Aaron Jones

Julio 

Golloday 

All kinds of talent this class wonder if we make a move for one knowing our super bowl window is now 

Mack please 

Someone will over pay for Aaron Jones, but if he comes cheap I'd love to see it. No possible way can pay Williams,Allen, and Mack. As awesome as that would be.

46 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Resign oline guys + Milano 

get rid of the dead weight on the dline and bring better talent in. Mcd could do so much more with this defense with a better dline 

Agree for O line, so many teams wonder why their star QBs regress, when they let key stones on the Oline walk. 

5 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

I know we are humming along but I think in the off season there is a few upgrades we have to make and here is what I think we can do 

Zach ertz 

Im not sure what his deal is but he is obviously talented and I think he would take our offense to the next level. 

NY Giants

Look I don't know what the giants are doing but I propose this 

Singletary  and our 1st round pick for Saquon.  Obviously Saquon would be a huge upgrade and we have Zack moss and other depth at RB. I think they would listen...

Thoughts?

Beat the Colts. Nothing but beat the Colts. 

A first round pick (and a third/Singletary) for a RB who’s already been injured and is well into his cheap contract is.....not something I can politely consider. 

You cant pay everybody that's for sure.   I dont see any big splashes in FA.    The cap for sure doesn't seem like it will be what was expected pre-pandemic.   A lot of teams will struggle with it    Should be some bargains through the spring and summer and now we are at least attractive for someone who wants to play for a winner.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

The only other info injury I saw about him was an ankle tweak that cost him a couple games back in his 2nd year. As for how the Panthers may have used him, I just don't get it. It simply doesn't reconcile with what we saw this year. He was absolutely dominant out there for nearly the entire season. Him and Dawkins both had a rough day on the same week (vs the Chargers I think?) but outside of that he was just stoning guys week after week after week. I'd be curious to see the Bills internal OLine grades cuz I don't think it would be difficult to make a case that he was the Bills best OLineman this season.

When you've got a talent like Josh Allen who's going to be your franchise for the next decade, letting your best OLineman walk right now would be criminal, imo.

Was kinda hoping they would have gotten something done a little earlier in the year. Going to be tough to keep him from testing the market now.

6 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

You cant pay everybody that's for sure.   I dont see any big splashes in FA.    The cap for sure doesn't seem like it will be what was expected pre-pandemic.   A lot of teams will struggle with it    Should be some bargains through the spring and summer and now we are at least attractive for someone who wants to play for a winner.

Agreed I dont think we see any big name signings. But if Aaron Jones doesn't get way over paid by someone (probably will) i dont see it too far fetched. Beane and McD had whispers about leveon, so they are keeping an eye for dynamic pass catching RBs. But I'd wager beane does the smart thing, draft mid round RBs keep on cheap deals, rinse and repeat.

I am not worried.  I expect that there will be a LOT of quality veteran FA's looking for a one year or more home.  Playing for a contender is nice for your career and also nice for looking good and finding another payday at a later team .....  The Bills play a variety of offensive and defensive styles so that we could pick up several  players who are "incomplete" players. By that, I mean, players who are smart, have a couple of very strong strenghts but also some weaknesses that might keep them from being an every down player.  We can pick up a couple of these players, sift through them cheaply and have them play only in certain situations.  (Bellycheck made a living doing this).   We already do this on the defensive line, where there is a constant shuffling of guys- partly to keep fresh legs in the game but also to attack the opponent's offence from different directions.