Bills will be working out QB Chad Kelly

YoloinOhio

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

They're probably looking to the offseason -- Matt Barkley by all accounts a great guy and he threw a couple nice balls Sunday but I wouldn't feel great about him going out there for any length of time if we had an injury, and I believe he is on the last year of his deal.

If someone like Kelly has matured in the eyes of our ownership and is willing to sign a futures contract after the season I wouldn't have any complaints. There is definitely potential upside among Kelly/Fromm/Webb and would make for an interesting competition.

With backups, he tore apart a legitimately decent defense last week.  Receivers weren't even attempting to get any yards after the catch.  And he still decimated them.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

With backups, he tore apart a legitimately decent defense last week.  Receivers weren't even attempting to get any yards after the catch.  And he still decimated them.

To me, Barkley looked like a lot of the qb's we've had over the last 20 years, some good and some bad but I am hoping we can upgrade the position. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is obviously only to pick his brain on the Colts playbook and their tendencies.

The only problem is, 15 minutes into talking to him McD is going to turn to Beane like "This guy is a ***ing moron".

“Picking the brain of Chad Kelly” on the next 30 for 30

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From the report, the workout was yesterday so he must have already cleared that last week 

If this is true then OBD talked to him before they knew the Bills would be playing the Colts wouldn't it?

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yesterday was Monday.

Yes but if he had to wait for 5 days to be in the building Monday?

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If this is true then OBD talked to him before they knew the Bills would be playing the Colts wouldn't it?

Yes but if he had to wait for 5 days to be in the building Monday?

Deleted that post. It took a sec for the 5 day waiting period point to click for me :thumbsup:

• Thank you (+1) 1

When the Colts drafted Eason and there were not going to be any preseason games, Chad's time in Indy was done.  He is among the more talented QBs not in the league but that's not saying much.  I think the XFL restart will be his last chance to make some sort of pro career. 

I do not seek to crap all over people who are trying to overcome their issues and do believe people can grow. Either you believe in redemption or not.  We certainly are not in position to judge where he is at but his time with the Colts probably did him some good.  I never read anything that suggested he was lazy or lacked passion for the game.  Quite the opposite.  I wish him well.

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is obviously only to pick his brain on the Colts playbook and their tendencies.

The only problem is, 15 minutes into talking to him McD is going to turn to Beane like "This guy is a ***ing moron".

No way, mister!

I doubt Coach McD would drop the F-bomb.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is a weird thread to read through. The guy is obviously being brought in for intel having been with the Colts for a year or two, which is really smart. Plus maybe they want to consider him for a futures contract, which is fine. The amount of people who are upset about this and the amount of people who are excited about this confuses me. 

Is it possible that Beane just wants some Covid insurance ? What if the QB room comes down with the virus. That would leave us with just Fromm. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The team certainly did and he had two great throws to Davis as you said mostly with the second team against the Dolphins starters.

That said he was up huge, the Dolphins had all but given up, and they were keying aggressively on the running game. He threw a terrible interception, completed less than fifty percent of his passes, and outside of his two big shots to Davis (one of which required an incredible play from Davis) had less than fifty yards passing IIRC.

If you combine that with his age and the way the cap is projected to drop this year, I don't see a downside in giving the rookie and others on veteran minimum type deals a shot in the pre-season next year.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If he doesn’t get arrested his first five minutes in Buffalo before making it to OBD. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

The team certainly did and he had two great throws to Davis as you said mostly with the second team against the Dolphins starters.

That said he was up huge, the Dolphins had all but given up, and they were keying aggressively on the running game. He threw a terrible interception, completed less than fifty percent of his passes, and outside of his two big shots to Davis (one of which required an incredible play from Davis) had less than fifty yards passing IIRC.

If you combine that with his age and the way the cap is projected to drop this year, I don't see a downside in giving the rookie and others on veteran minimum type deals a shot in the pre-season next year.

Oh, I am all in favor of an upgrade, don't get me wrong.  I'm just saying that he played pretty well under the circumstances (with no proven talent) on Sunday.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, StHustle said:

I love it! He would easily be a top 5 backup.

Yes this does scream of Beane doing ol Jimbo a favor...but nothing wrong with that.

I'm in the minority and feel Chad is a changed man and would be fine on the team...years ago? No....now? Yes.

Chad is WAAAY better than Barkely.

Are you sure you ok ?