Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

YoloinOhio

On 1/4/2021 at 9:28 AM, Logic said:

I'd place a large wager that Daboll will be coaching the Chargers next year.

Went to high school with their GM, Tom Telesco, and would be walking into a ready-to-go roster. 

Daboll+Herbert+Williams, Allen, Henry, & Ekeler = immediate success.

^This

They were 2 years apart at St Frannies and share the same agent. 

This is Dabolls most likely landing spot, he's not going to the Jets. If the Jets are his only HC option he'll stay in Buffalo another year imo.

16 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Going to the Chargers is like going to an AFC East team in 2004.  Do you want to be in the same division with Mahommes?  They will win that division another 7 or 8 years at least. QBs these days seem to play in their late 30s.  Pat will be around forever. 

Herbert is going to be a star, with a good defense they could be challenging the Chiefs for the division in a couple years imo.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

^This

They were 2 years apart at St Frannies and share the same agent. 

This is Dabolls most likely landing spot, he's not going to the Jets. If the Jets are his only HC option he'll stay in Buffalo another year imo.

Herbert is going to be a star, with a good defense they could be challenging the Chiefs for the division in a couple years imo.

The agent thing is common. The st Francis thing is close to meaningless despite how much people bring it up. It was 35 years ago and they weren’t  “friends” The bigger connection is McDaniels. They didn’t play together at JCU but  there is a connection amongst JCU grads stronger than the HS thing. Chargers were interested in him last time around. If Daboll gets the job it will be exclusively on merit. And it is spanos decision this time anyway. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The agent thing is common. The st Francis thing is close to meaningless despite how much people bring it up. It was 35 years ago and they weren’t even friends. The bigger connection is McDaniels. 

Sure, all that is secondary to the fact that the Chargers are a great situation for a new coach to walk into, but when you add it all together.....

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I truly think Houston is the best job

I think the situations are kind of similar, though Watson is obviously more established as a star qb.

However, I would much rather live in SD than in Houston.

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I think the situations are kind of similar, though Watson is obviously more established as a star qb.

However, I would much rather live in SD than in Houston.

He can live in Orange County but not SD. Not sure that would be factor. Caserio is the favorite for the GM job, who he worked with in NE. But the overwhelming factor is deshaun Watson. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He can live in Orange County but not SD. Not sure that would be factor. Caserio is the favorite for the GM job, who he worked with in NE. But the overwhelming factor is deshaun Watson. 

Sorry, I forgot for a moment they're not in SD anymore.😝

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I truly think Houston is the best job

I think it's close.

Everything Herbert did this year, Watson has done for 4 years. He's proven. They traded away his superstar #1 option and he played even BETTER. The division is waaaaaaaay weaker. Their defense just needs to be mediocre and they will win 9-10 games next year and probably the division.

Folks are sleeping on the Texans because they don't have a first round pick. Who cares?

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think it's close.

Everything Herbert did this year, Watson has done for 4 years. He's proven. They traded away his superstar #1 option and he played even BETTER. The division is waaaaaaaay weaker. Their defense just needs to be mediocre and they will win 9-10 games next year and probably the division.

Folks are sleeping on the Texans because they don't have a first round pick. Who cares?

Plus it’s a 5 year deal at least, not one year. And in this case you come in at the same time as the GM so I think there is more of an opportunity to be truly aligned (like McDermott/beane). I like what I’ve seen from Herbert but I can’t put him in Watson’s category yet. And as far as Jacksonville... the opportunity to take Lawrence is exciting but no one knows what he will do in the nfl. I do know the last 2 college playoff games Ive seen him play, he was the 2nd best QB on the field. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 1/4/2021 at 11:35 PM, DCOrange said:

Are the Jaguars viewed as an impatient franchise? They've generally given all of their coaches a very long time to prove themselves with the exception of Mularkey going 2-14 in his one season as a coach. Coughlin got 8 years (granted he was legitimately good). Del Rio got 9 years despite only 2 playoff appearances. Bradley got 3 years despite winning a total of 14 games. And Marrone got 4 years.

I think the Jags are a sneaky good destination; the major drawback is the fairweather fans/London relationship if you view that as a bad thing. But you get to walk into Trevor Lawrence, a boatload of other future picks, and the ability to pretty much build a team from scratch to your liking.

Chargers definitely seem like the most likely for Daboll though.

Khan came out and said that he wants control over roster moves. No way to know how serious that statement was, but it means that he may dive into meddling.