Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

YoloinOhio

All the "insider" reports from Jax are that they are only interested in someone with HC experience at the pro or college level.  Not seriously going to consider a promotion for a OC or DC.  If I'm Daboll, I'd rather stay OC in Buffalo than a doomed HC with the Jets or Lions, but Chargers would be a dream job.  I think it may be difficult for the Jets or Lions to attract a truly "hot" candidate.  Much like for a Bills.  McDermott wasn't burning up the rumor mill with being a hot hire.  I think they'll need to look beyond the guys who are getting all the buzz because I'm not sure they'd be interested in that tire fire.

(1/2) Odds to be the next head coach of the Jets (BetOnline):

Daboll +300
Bieniemy/Eberflus +600
J. Brady +650
Riley +700
Campbell +750
Schottenheimer +1000
Toub +1000
Harbaugh +1000
Saleh +1000 
A. Smith +1200
O'Brien +1200
Pagano +1200

37 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Is that on him or on the offense they were running?

Air yards isn't indicative of success as an offense - look at ben and brees this year, they were both very low and had successful offenses.  Just saying - he threw a ton behind the LOS and within 5-10 yards.  A lot of teams do this, he did it more than most.  

You won't put up Mahomes numbers playing that way either.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Air yards isn't indicative of success as an offense - look at ben and brees this year, they were both very low and had successful offenses.  Just saying - he threw a ton behind the LOS and within 5-10 yards.  A lot of teams do this, he did it more than most.  

You won't put up Mahomes numbers playing that way either.  

I mean he isn't far behind....4,336 yards passing in 15 games isn't that far off.

Just now, Big Turk said:

I mean he isn't far behind....4,336 yards passing in 15 games isn't that far off.

Sure - but the offense was 9th in yards and 18th in scoring.  They couldn't run the ball (Bottom 5 in YPC), so they'd pass as an extension of the run.  They also were a full yard per play behind KC.  

Even with mahomes contract I'd take him over Herbert every time.  He elevates the players around him, Herbert's numbers suggest the opposite.

59 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

He did coach their QBs in 2007-2008 (see Chad Penningon and Brett Favre). 

That Favre guy had a bit of success after his stint with the Jets. 😉

Edited by WhoTom

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Dabol is not going to the jets.....not if he has a brain in his head

That's my opinion...but then I didn't think Pettine would "jump ship" as DC to take the HC job for the Browns and it was "hey, y'all, Watch This!".

If I were Daboll, I want the Chargers (where he knows the GM, and where the QB looks super-promising and there's a lot of talent on the roster already).

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Success said:

He'd be the right guy for the Jets. They need someone to develop a QB - whether that's sticking w/ Darnold, or Fields. He's probably the best candidate for that.

But please, universe - no.

he isn’t for the jets situation. Not a good pick.

the Jets need a HC who has head coaching experience.

if he was to get hired it be eith Houston or charchers where they both have a similar QB.

32 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

This is an interesting interactive.  Suggests Daboll should go to the Chargers.

Nobody matches to an "A" to the Jets.  Surprised?

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30537412/play-matchmaker-nfl-head-coach-carousel-make-your-pick-texans-lions-falcons-jobs

LOL at this.  Someone didn't proofread too carefully.

image.thumb.png.7afc20e1b34464c6f14181e6f86e9984.png

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jobot said:

Has anyone heard if Daboll is actually interested in becoming a head coach?

1) He interviewed for the Browns job last year

2) someone here said they heard he already had feelers out for putting together a staff

3) McDermott was asked about what it was like to balance working towards that next step (HC) while still trying to do a good job as coordinator, and part of his response was that "Brian has done a good job" (of balancing the two).  This strongly implies Daboll is working to prepare himself for HC opportunities

I would say the preponderance of the evidence is he wants it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffalo2218 said:

I kinda doubt the Jets have enough brinks trucks to lure Daboll to a beaten, broken and battered franchise. From Daboll's perspective, "you want me to basically pass up Josh Allen for Sam Darnold? I thought you guys already did that yourselves"

I think a lot of HC candidates would be drawn into a "broken situation", a small improvement and they can look like a miracle worker.  It will come down to the ownership, the $ and the power.  Similar to what Beane/McDermott have done.  It will ultimately come down to the ownership,the autonomy & t power and the $.

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I think a lot of HC candidates would be drawn into a "broken situation", a small improvement and they can look like a miracle worker.  It will come down to the ownership, the $ and the power.  Similar to what Beane/McDermott have done.  It will ultimately come down to the ownership,the autonomy & t power and the $.

For the Jets, I will say as far as the owners, they are not only hands off, but pretty much oblivious compared to some team like say Dallas. That in itself may lure someone, but no coaching candidate out there would pass up the Chargers for the Jets. Hell I could see some current head coaches leaving their team to go coach there

Edited by buffalo2218

I'm happy for Brian Daboll that he is getting consideration.

But at the same time, I shake my head every year (on Black Monday) when teams start their interviews and cycle through the latest "hot names" on the coaching list... In other words, the offensive/defensive coordinators who just happened to have success in 2020.

No offense to Daboll, because he's done a great job for us THIS year.  And for the sake of continuity, I would love for him to stay in Buffalo.

However, the guy has been a coach in the NFL for almost 20 years, and got his first stint as an offensive coordinator back in 2009.  Why is he just getting recognition now?  If we are being honest, very few people knew who Daboll even was until this season.  And that just happened to be after the Bills front office overloaded the offense with ridiculous levels of talent and Josh Allen suddenly started playing at an MVP level.  

Remember when Seattle's offense was really good (before Marshawn Lynch retired), and Darrell Bevell was one of the big names around the league?  How about Adam Gase when Denver had Peyton Manning?  I seem to recall Anthony Lynn doing a pretty good job at OC here too.

Teams are going to expect Daboll to just come in, and magically develop their young QB into the next Josh Allen.  Good luck.  Instead, they should be looking for a great leader, who can work seamlessly with their GM.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

For the Jets, I will say as far as the owners, they are not only hands off, but pretty much oblivious compared to some team like say Dallas. That in itself may lure someone, but no coaching candidate out there would pass up the Chargers for the Jets. Hell I could see some current head coaches leaving their team to go coach there

Jets do have a lot of draft capital and some may be intrigued by the "glamor" of NYC metro area...that is until they pay taxes.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I'm happy for Brian Daboll that he is getting consideration.

But at the same time, I shake my head every year (on Black Monday) when teams start their interviews and cycle through the latest "hot names" on the coaching list... In other words, the offensive/defensive coordinators who just happened to have success in 2020.

No offense to Daboll, because he's done a great job for us THIS year.  And for the sake of continuity, I would love for him to stay in Buffalo.

However, the guy has been a coach in the NFL for almost 20 years, and got his first stint as an offensive coordinator back in 2009.  Why is he just getting recognition now?  If we are being honest, very few people knew who Daboll even was until this season.  And that just happened to be after the Bills front office overloaded the offense with ridiculous levels of talent and Josh Allen suddenly started playing at an MVP level.  

Remember when Seattle's offense was really good (before Marshawn Lynch retired), and Darrell Bevell was one of the big names around the league?  How about Adam Gase when Denver had Peyton Manning?  I seem to recall Anthony Lynn doing a pretty good job at OC here too.

Teams are going to expect Daboll to just come in, and magically develop their young QB into the next Josh Allen.  Good luck.  Instead, they should be looking for a great leader, who can work seamlessly with their GM.

Folks are looking at Josh Allen week 1 of 2018 and then his performance this year and saying “I want the guy who helped make that happen.”

It’s not crazy. 

Besides, it sometimes works. McVay worked. Kyle Shanahan worked. Matt LeFleur worked.