Jets, Chargers request to interview Brian Daboll for HC

YoloinOhio

My short term memory is crappola, so can't remember if it was Sal on his WGR show this morning or the 1st hour of OBL, but the point was made that we shouldn't be so focused on losing Dabs being the end all be all for Allen--the Bills will be such an attractive landing spot for OC's with Josh at the helm, that McD will have his hands full fielding all the calls from ueber-qualified candidates wanting it that we will prolly wind up with a top 5 in the league-type candidate regardless! 

• Like (+1) 2

Should Daboll be offered the Jets job and decide to take it he knows that he is in for a tough road ahead.

Bills won 13 games this year, Miami 10 and the remaining team has BB who know doubt will be determined to show that this past losing season is a blip.

In all probability the Jets will finish 4th in the AFCE next year.

If I was him, I'd be patient and wait for the Chargers opening and relish the opportunity to work with an old friend and do battle with Reid and Mahomes - if not stay in Buffalo and continue the good work.

• Like (+1) 2

For someone to take the Jets job at this point it has to be because they simply want to be a head coach...period, and don't care how they get it as long as they get that job title.  OR they're so full of themselves that they think they have the midas touch to magically turn them around. 

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Nightmare scenario: Daboll goes to Jets and drafts Zach Wilson.

I don’t want to lose Daboll, but if he does take a head coaching job I definitely don’t want it to be with the Jets and then have to face him twice a year when he has intimate knowledge of Allen’s strengths and weaknesses more than probably anyone else on the planet. If he goes, he needs to go far away, preferably to an NFC team but not to a division rival, as bad as they currently may be. 

35 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'd say considerably better.  Mahomes career YPA is over a yard higher than Herbert.  Same with Mahomes NY/A and ANY/A.  Sure - he has Kelce and Hill (occaisionally watkins too).  But Herbert has Allen (best slot WR in the NFL), Hunter Henry (top 5 TE), and one of the best receiving backs in the NFL in Ekeler.  

Mahomes is an MVP winner, Super bowl MVP, and Super bowl winner.  The guy slings it all over the field, has a cannon, and plays his best football in crunch time. 

Herbert had moments this year, however his top 3 targets (henry, allen, ekeler) all had aDOTs under 8 yards.  He also had about 150 RB targets where they all had a sub 0 aDOT.  Thats basically if 2/3 targets went to cole beasley and singletary.  Not to say that he can't make downfield throws, because he did - just trying to say that he did not attack down field as much, or as often.

Mahomes is in his 4th year...he didn't do what Herbert did as a rookie...he barely played.

2 minutes ago, Billznut said:

I don’t want to lose Daboll, but if he does take a head coaching job I definitely don’t want it to be with the Jets and then have to face him twice a year when he has intimate knowledge of Allen’s strengths and weaknesses more than probably anyone else on the planet. If he goes, he needs to go far away, preferably to an NFC team but not to a division rival, as bad as they currently may be. 

It’s just as likely that he is the next Freddie Kitchens as opposed to the next good HC. 

Coordinators becoming HC is a toss up. 

12 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

If I'm Daboll I definitely want to go to the Chargers or the Jaguars, not the dumpster fire that is the NY Jets.

Not sure I'd want to go to the Jags, knowing that the owner is still going to be the one handling the personnel there.

12 minutes ago, Aaronthebaron said:

Please no. I expected lose him but thought it’d be Chargers or Jaguars to help their young QB’s. 

Chargers have Herbert and great weather - is Daboll a California guy? West Coast is far from his roots.  

Jax as a city, has really nothing to offer over Buffalo,  but with the #1 pick, the HC job might be compelling.     

Houston has Deshawn Watson and a huge market.  

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He didn't play at all as a rookie.  Just saying - almost 2/3 of Herberts targets had an average depth of target shorter than 8 yards.  His intended air yards per attempt was 7.  

Is that on him or on the offense they were running?

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

Has anyone heard if Daboll is actually interested in becoming a head coach?

On New Years Eve, a younger woman was overheard asking him, "Are you interested in being a head coach?" He replied, "Sure if you wanna learn, I can coach you."

<rimshot>

35 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

It’s just as likely that he is the next Freddie Kitchens as opposed to the next good HC. 

Coordinators becoming HC is a toss up. 

Yeah but they get paid $25-$30M guaranteed money to find out if they are a HC failure or not....

And then if he is a failure he can go back to being an OC ... probably even  back here if the timing was right...