Bills sign WR Tanner Gentry to PS

• 2 months later...

Good move, hopefully SM won’t be afraid to use them when the inevitable injuries happen... 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

So some questions here. 

-the host refers to him as having 4.4 speed and Gentry doesn't correct.  That's pretty fast. 

-at his Wyo pro day, Gentry logged a 4.58 as well as poor agility scores.  So where does this "4.4 speed" come from?

Stuff I didn't know:

-Gentry separated his A/C joint in his shoulder (Grade 3) and was out for the same season where Josh Allen broke his collarbone

-Having to watch the team struggle from the sidelines and rehabbing together was when they started to bond and became friends

He talks about needing both an off-the-field friendship and an on-field relationship for the QB and WR to mesh.  Says his dad was a WR in college and preached to him "when the ball is in the air, it's yours no matter what".  His role model is Dez Bryant (hey, aim high!).  Said his agent thought he might get drafted in the late rounds, so he had his whole family there.  The draft coverage put up a segment on "next year's QBs" with Josh Allen that showed several highlight reel throws to Gentry, so they all got excited "hey, I might get picked!".  Said it was "disappointing but motivating" to not get drafted - the old "chip on my shoulder" saw. 

Rico asks him what it was like watching his old teammate get drafted the next year, was he shocked to see Josh Allen get drafted #7 overall.  Gentry says "If I'm being honest, I was shocked that he didn't go first!"  Says there was no doubt in his mind Allen was the best QB in that draft class and he was mad for a while, but that when Josh got drafted to Buffalo Josh was really happy about it and Gentry thought it was a great fit for him.

Biggest wake-up moment coming to the NFL was how athletic and fast all the DBs were, that just because you're fast doesn't mean you're going to get open against these guys, he had to learn to get creative with his route-running.  Said in Wyo he relied on his athleticism sometimes because he could.

They talk a bit about stereotypes of white WR, Gentry says the funniest comparison for him was to Wes Welker, "he's a 5'8" slot and I'm not!" (he saw himself as a outside receiver).  Said he played all over with the Bears and he actually likes playing the slot now, talks about how Larry Fitzgerald plays in the slot sometimes and it can create a mismatch.  Says he knows Josh lobbied for him "a little bit" as far as getting him in the door for a look but now he has to earn everything.

Asked now that Josh Allen is "the Franchise" in Buffalo, the "King of the City", what does he see as the difference between Josh Allen in Wyoming and what he is like right now?  Says flat out "Nothing. He's the same guy. Same Fearless Leader, always making jokes with the guys, never too serious."  But says the minute you walk into that locker room you can tell that the whole locker room is ready to ride for him. 

Rico does a segment where he states something then asks for two words in response

XFL experience: "pretty *****

Josh Allen in Wyoming: "game changer"

Josh Allen in Buffalo: "face of the franchise" (Ok, more than 2 words but)

Stefon Diggs: (shakes his head) "elite talent"

Buffalo Bills Training Facility: "top notch"

Compared to Chicago: "Way nicer"

Coach McDermott: "Love him" (sounds like he means it)

Dawson Knox: "Great Hair"

When you eat your wings, blue cheese or ranch? "I already know I can't say ranch, but I can't eat blue cheese!  It's ranch!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Asked now that Josh Allen is "the Franchise" in Buffalo, the "King of the City", what does he see as the difference between Josh Allen in Wyoming and what he is like right now?  Says flat out "Nothing. He's the same guy. Same Fearless Leader, always making jokes with the guys, never too serious."  But says the minute you walk into that locker room you can tell that the whole locker room is ready to ride for him. 

I believe Josh was the best man in his wedding... may be wrong. I believe he was at least in the wedding party. I love to hear things like this.. it backs up everything I’ve heard about Josh from people who have had first hand experience with him. 

Kid definitely has a mean streak though... from being so competitive. Part of me didn’t love spinning the ball in the Chargers DBs face or throwing the ball at Okafor’s head... but at the same time I absolutely love it. He’s got a fire to him... I loved that about Fitzpatrick... like when Brandon Spikes launches himself at his head and Fitzy’s helmet came off and Fitz went RIGHT after him with no helmet... there’s a great photo somewhere... 

Edited by JGMcD2

8 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I believe Josh was the best man in his wedding... may be wrong. I believe he was at least in the wedding party. I love to hear things like this.. it backs up everything I’ve heard about Josh from people who have had first hand experience with him. 

Kid definitely has a mean streak though... from being so competitive. Part of me didn’t love spinning the ball in the Chargers DBs face or throwing the ball at Okafor’s head... but at the same time I absolutely love it. He’s got a fire to him... I loved that about Fitzpatrick... like when Brandon Spikes launches himself at his head and Fitzy’s helmet came off and Fitz went RIGHT after him with no helmet... there’s a great photo somewhere... 

McDermott loved that he spinned the ball in that dude’s face lol. I remember it from the mic’d up that week. 

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So some questions here. 

-the host refers to him as having 4.4 speed and Gentry doesn't correct.  That's pretty fast. 

-at his Wyo pro day, Gentry logged a 4.58 as well as poor agility scores.  So where does this "4.4 speed" come from?

According to this article in the Denver Post, he ran a 4.46 at his pro day, which, rounded down, is 4.4:

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/07/tanner-gentry-nfl/

"His predraft, pro-day workout at Wyoming further buoyed those hopes, as his speed (4.46 seconds in the 40-yard dash), strength (19 bench-press reps) and hops (38-inch vertical leap) pointed toward being drafted."

Edited by chongli

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

McDermott loved that he spinned the ball in that dude’s face lol. I remember it from the mic’d up that week. 

Lol I know... which made me like it even more.

“I’m just here to let you know that if you get one more, you’re going to be out for the game. That’s all.”

**Walks away**

**Turns around**

“Oh and 17, I love that swagger baby!!”

I hate it solely because I don’t want to hear other fans complain and say Josh is a bad dude or whatever. It just gets annoying and is far from the truth. 

Edited by JGMcD2

10 minutes ago, chongli said:

According to this article in the Denver Post, he ran a 4.46 at his pro day, which, rounded down, is 4.4:

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/07/tanner-gentry-nfl/

"His predraft, pro-day workout at Wyoming further buoyed those hopes, as his speed (4.46 seconds in the 40-yard dash), strength (19 bench-press reps) and hops (38-inch vertical leap) pointed toward being drafted."

I don't know what to tell ya there.  Seems to be some confliction.

But as for the 4.46, we all know the rules: 4.46 rounds to 4.5. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Josh was in Gentry's wedding party.  Not best man.

If we're mentioning Josh "competitive fire" moments, you got to mention the face mask penalty in the Rams game, 2d and 10 in the 4th with :49 seconds left.  Josh was clearly pissed because he felt the refs didn't call a face mask/horsecollar on Donald the previous drive, resulting in a strip sack.  The line in the box score "Josh Allen pass incomplete short left.  Penalty on Josh Allen, Face Mask: 15 yds (no play)"  doesn't come close to capturing the mayhem of that sequence of events. 

Announcer: "That is a Strong Man"

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dion Dawkins specifically mentioned it in one of his "Player's Tribune" pieces.  "And then the next game, we played the Chargers, and Josh f*cking sonned them by spinning the ball in their faces.  Yeah — that got us loose, man. I think we needed that."

I don't "get it" but then I'm not a football player.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know what to tell ya there.  Seems to be some confliction.

But as for the 4.46, we all know the rules: 4.46 rounds to 4.5. 

Maybe the host just wanted to make it sound better for Gentry and make him happy during the interview, so he rounded down instead. 4.6 is close enough to half-way between 4.0 and 5.0. :-)