Bills sign Kenny Stills to PS

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Davis has been targeted the last few weeks but his catch % has dropped. Plus he didn't come back to the ball that was picked, even though it was a really nice play by the Miami cb. To me hasn't looked super sharp the last few weeks.

Just a guess by me as a possibility.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/60126/gabriel-davis/game-log

Davis has been getting 4 or 5 targets a game.  At that rate, the difference between a catch % of 40 or of 60% is one pass.  I would have to go look at the film and make sure they were all catchable passes (not thrown away in his direction) to decide whether that 1 pass means anything or not.

We've also been playing some pretty good, physical defenses: SF #4, Pitt #3, NWE #8.  Denver and Miami statistically not as good, #16 and #23 but MIA very very good at takeaways.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Davis has been getting 4 or 5 targets a game.  At that rate, the difference between a catch % of 40 or of 60% is one pass.  I would have to go look at the film and make sure they were all catchable passes (not thrown away in his direction) to decide whether that 1 pass means anything or not.

We've also been playing some pretty good, physical defenses: SF #4, Pitt #3, NWE #8.  Denver and Miami statistically not as good, #16 and #23 but MIA very very good at takeaways.

In addition to the takeaways, Miami was the #1 scoring defense and has two of the top CBs in the league.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand your point about McKenzie not being heavily involved/just being a gadget guy back in 2018 when we brought him in, even though we were hurting at WR.  I like Isaiah McKenzie so I watch for him on film.  The piece that needs to be remembered is that he was pretty much a rookie as a WR when we signed him in 2018 - very few targets, maybe 10? 12? with Denver in 2017.  He was used by Den as a PR/KR until he fumbled his way out of the job (6 fumbles with Den, 2 with us)

I definitely have some recency bias in saying this but McKenzie has become one of my favorite players on the offense. Daboll has him doing a little bit of everything. YardsPerPass on Twitter pointed out he was put in motion to be an extra blocker on the TD to John Brown:

So McKenzie was responsible at least in part for every TD we scored in the 1st half.

McDermott called him out very specifically in the post game presser when he said "McKenzie is another example of a player coming here to be the best version of themselves" (somewhat paraphrased). I would say he represents that philosophy better than anyone on the team.

Edited by HappyDays

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah he's allowed to be on the PS because of COVID, but this may be a permanent thing for the NFL.

And putting him on the PS means they don't have to release anyone from the 53-man roster.

Kinda feel it needs to be permanent.  Has worked well for some teams.  Gets him in the building to get comfortable with our offense before having to be placed on regular roster. Great insurance policy!

Also, many teams utilizing this option. Be tough for them to reverse next year. Many vet players would hit the streets who didn’t previously meet requirements for PS. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I definitely have some recency bias in saying this but McKenzie has become one of my favorite players on the offense. Daboll has him doing a little bit of everything. YardsPerPass on Twitter pointed out he was put in motion to be an extra blocker on the TD to John Brown:

So McKenzie was responsible at least in part for every TD we scored in the 1st half.

McDermott called him out very specifically in the post game presser when he said "McKenzie is another example of a player coming here to be the best version of themselves" (somewhat paraphrased). I would say he represents that philosophy better than anyone on the team.

Great recognition by Josh to read that and get McKenzie over to help in pass pro. Brown made that look so easy as well.

10 hours ago, Figster said:

Sammy was Buffalo's number 1 when we traded him unless we had one hidden somewhere. 

Mahomes top target isn't even a WR...

By default he was the #1

I like the action the Bills talent evaluators took....a lot of dead wood gone in a hurry.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand your point about McKenzie not being heavily involved/just being a gadget guy back in 2018 when we brought him in, even though we were hurting at WR.  I like Isaiah McKenzie so I watch for him on film.  The piece that needs to be remembered is that he was pretty much a rookie as a WR when we signed him in 2018 - very few targets, maybe 10? 12? with Denver in 2017.  He was used by Den as a PR/KR until he fumbled his way out of the job (6 fumbles with Den, 2 with us)

What I saw is that by the end of last season and especially this season, he's taken a big step towards becoming a more complete WR.  Last year when it had become a "tell" oh McKenzie's in there, it's gonna be a jet sweep or reverse, he started slowly running some additional routes from the slot, slants and crossers.  This year, like all our WR he's had just a quantum leap in the details of his play at WR - he releases better, he'll drag his toes on the sidelines, he'll run options (he said that was an option route Beasley taught him for the 1st TD), he'll block hard.  (I actually thought he might have earned the nickname 'lil Dirty for some of the blocks he's laid this season, for a little guy he does bring it).

So I agree with you that he joined the team as a gadget guy, but I'm not sure that's still how they see him, and I kind of view yesterday as they gave him a chance and he took it.  I don't think he's about to displace Beasley any time soon, but I think he made a solid case to see playing time in the slot ahead of a guy who just joined the team.

I think we see Stills only if Brown reinjures and can't go and we feel the need, the need for speed.  I think Daboll's playbook takes some time to master.  But it's gonna be a long month, we may see him yet!

PS from that article:

With three touchdowns to his name, McKenzie had plenty to chirp about, but he came back to the sideline speechless.

“He was kind of humbled, out of breath,” Dion Dawkins said. “Out of breath and was extremely focused. He was running. I know on that punt return, we didn’t hear nothing from him, because he put it all on the football field.”

Check this play out - he blocks better than Brian Winters 

3 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Kinda feel it needs to be permanent.  Has worked well for some teams.  Gets him in the building to get comfortable with our offense before having to be placed on regular roster. Great insurance policy!

Also, many teams utilizing this option. Be tough for them to reverse next year. Many vet players would hit the streets who didn’t previously meet requirements for PS. 

The union should be in favor of it because it keeps more people employed, the coaches will be in favor of it because it gives them more toys, GMs will be in favor of it because it allows them to hoard players and talent, and the owners will be against it because it drives up costs.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

By default he was the #1

I like the action the Bills talent evaluators took....a lot of dead wood gone in a hurry.

My original comment was a compliment of Brandon Beane despite losing a fan favorite of mine (personally). Not yours, mine.  I didn't say how good Watkins was or go on to say Sammy Watkins had just spent the off season getting  on page with Tyrod Taylor. At the time to me it was a bone headed move and for that team and QB it was IMO.

Its not my problem some people can't seem to handle Sammy Watkins name mentioned without tossing out insults... 

On 1/4/2021 at 5:04 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Lets no say we "arrived" till we are in the Super Bowl but it is truly amazing, for the first time in decades this franchise has the feel for being legit.

The task now, as you've stated, is a Super Bowl.  I'm just happy at the prospect...

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Figster said:

My original comment was a compliment of Brandon Beane despite losing a fan favorite of mine (personally). Not yours, mine.  I didn't say how good Watkins was or go on to say Sammy Watkins had just spent the off season getting  on page with Tyrod Taylor. At the time to me it was a bone headed move and for that team and QB it was IMO.

Its not my problem some people can't seem to handle Sammy Watkins name mentioned without tossing out insults... 

Sorry I picked on one of your favorites.

I just get kind of sore about that draft and the players the Bills could have took at 9 with out trading away #19 in 2015 along with #115 in 2015

Every player taken from #9 to #17 has made the pro bowl some perennially.

Then in rnd 2 its Cyrus Kouandijo at 44 and the Pack took Davante Adams at 53.

Thats why this team was a mess.

Thanks to McBeane for rescuing this franchise. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

So.  Will he be active this week.   Would be good to have 1 more speedster to impact their ability to man up. 

I wouldn't want Stills taking reps from anyone on the team currently getting them. If he has to fill McKenzie's role while McKenzie fills in for Beasley (assuming Beas is still on a snap count) then fine. But besides filling in due to injury, he shouldn't get any snaps at all. People who think he should just inserted as our #3 or #4 receiver are trippin. No, not even the #5 receiver role. McKenzie is GREAT in that spot for us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

I wouldn't want Stills taking reps from anyone on the team currently getting them. If he has to fill McKenzie's role while McKenzie fills in for Beasley (assuming Beas is still on a snap count) then fine. But besides filling in due to injury, he shouldn't get any snaps at all. People who think he should just inserted as our #3 or #4 receiver are trippin. No, not even the #5 receiver role. McKenzie is GREAT in that spot for us.

I wouldn't want him on a ton of snaps either.  I'd want him to come out and run go routes 5 to 10 times.  They need to respect his speed and big play ability.  Throw brown on other side and the middle should be wide open...and their LB are a weakness. 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So.....whatcha guys think?  Active this week?

I don't see whose job he would be taking.  None of the normal guys are going to miss the game. I would rather see someone like Dane Jackson get the call up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, Hebert19 said:

So.  Will he be active this week.   Would be good to have 1 more speedster to impact their ability to man up. 

At this point I am gonna say no.....they are starting Cole while he is dragging his leg around the field and still making plays.....we might bring up both RB's.....there is a chance we might have to bring up an extra DE