Bills sign Kenny Stills to PS

YoloinOhio

Just now, Doc said:

Yeah he's allowed to be on the PS because of COVID, but this may be a permanent thing for the NFL.

And putting him on the PS means they don't have to release anyone from the 53-man roster.

Yeah that too but I mean the reason he's willing to accept it knowing he can be promoted on game day so easily.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Interesting addition.   He's a guy who can play.   And he's a guy who can get up to speed quickly.  

Still, even with Beas out, I'm not sure where his role is.   Diggs, Brown, Davis, McKenzie seem to be locks for playing time.   

Maybe Stills was added to cover the possibility of another injury.  

I think he could probably play over McKenzie. McKenzie seems to be a guy they don’t want to give a lot of volume to under normal circumstances. I may be wrong. 

If Beasley doesn’t play I think Stills takes over for Brown, Diggs for Beasley and Brown for Diggs. 

If Beasley does play, I think we only actively 2 TE (Knox and Smith) and use a PS call up for Stills. 

We’d have Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis and Stills in 5 WR sets as well as McKenzie to come in for any of those guys and threaten a gadget play. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not sure how the PS works this year but wont this make him a ERFA heading into 2021 if no one puts them on their active roster?

The Restriction status has more to do with "years in the league".

Stills is a vet.  He will be a UFA.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Can someone refresh how a several years vet like stills can be signed to the Practice Squad. Thought that was just for newer players. Covid policy?  

Dez Bryant did the same thing. There can be a certain number of vets on the PS now. 

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Interesting addition.   He's a guy who can play.   And he's a guy who can get up to speed quickly.  

Still, even with Beas out, I'm not sure where his role is.   Diggs, Brown, Davis, McKenzie seem to be locks for playing time.   

Maybe Stills was added to cover the possibility of another injury.  

I agree with this.

I believe that the Bills typically dress 6 WRs, including Andre Roberts.

The only way Stills gets a gameday jersey, then, is if Beasley or another WR misses time.

If the idea is that they want a seasoned veteran ready to step up in the event of injury, then it's a great plan. With Brown having been dinged up throughout the year and Beasley no sure thing to return by Saturday, Stills is a smart depth addition. Given how long he's been in the league, he can hopefully get up to speed fairly quickly.

Another key factor is COVID. An outbreak can strike any position room at any time. The Bills have protected not one, but two practice squad centers all year long. Now they've added WR reinforcements at flanker and in the slot, with the latter being a guy that was Allen's go-to WR in college and thus, likely is already on the same page with him to an extent. It might be a case of Beane and McDermott being diligent in their preparation and contingency plans and saying "if we lose in the playoffs, it's not going to be because of injury or illness!"

I can't help but wonder if it's also a way for the Bills to see if Kenny Stills is a talent and culture fit for NEXT YEAR'S team, too. 

Lastly, I'm at least a little bit intrigued by the addition of Allen's go-to receiver at Wyoming to the practice squad. Another of those late season afterthought Beane additions that winds up paying dividends down the road.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think he could probably play over McKenzie. McKenzie seems to be a guy they don’t want to give a lot of volume to under normal circumstances. I may be wrong. 

I would of been more secure in that thinking before yesterday.

• Like (+1) 4