Anthony Lynn fired by Chargers

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

While this is true, you do realize Spanos still owns the chargers and is one of the cheapest owners in the NFL. A lot of coaches have had problems working for spanos and his family. He’s the one who gave the green light to fire Schottenheimer after an 11-5 season

That’s the downside to the Chargers job. If you’re willing to take a chance then you’re inheriting a good young QB and a solid roster. 

Just now, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Has anyone thought that maybe Daboll doesn’t want to be a Head Coach yet? Maybe he wants to win here too. He was snubbed by Belichik, went and got better, and is on the cusp of something awesome. 

I just don’t get the feeling from him that he wants to run the show yet. 

It has been reported that he definitely wants to be a HC

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The real question is who would you rather have as a HC Daboll or McD. I will be waiting for that poll and I bet it would be very close.

For MY answer it's McD by a country mile ... don't get me wrong I love Daboll, it's just I love him a little less than McD.

But IMHO, the salient question is ... how about the Chargers OC for a replacement if Dabs DOES leave? I like what Steichen has done with Herbert (who I see a lot of Josh Allen in) and the offense has performed admirably even though playing under a less than stellar HC. 

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You never know, maybe he doesn’t want to be a HC. Some guys are better coordinators than HC’s. And if Terry backs up the brinks truck for him I think he will stay. 

Yes - some guys are better coordinators than head coaches - such as Anthony Lynn. Always liked Lynn when he was with the Bills, but it looks more like OC is his specialty. Who knows about Daboll - can't begrudge a man for trying to reach the "top" of his profession, if that is what he wants. Maybe we are lucky & he is happy reaching his "dream" job as OC of his hometown Bill's and prefers to stay home rather than go to So Cal. But how do you turn down all that money? I thinks he takes the HC job of it is offered.

Has anyone thought that maybe Daboll doesn’t want to be a Head Coach yet? Maybe he wants to win here too. He was snubbed by Belichik, went and got better, and is on the cusp of something awesome. 

I just don’t get the feeling from him that he wants to run the show yet. 

I think its very possible that if it comes down to the Lions or possibly Falcons (possibly Jets), and Daboll doesnt like the smell of the situation, he would be happy to wait a year and ask Pegula for a raise.  

Chargers and Jaguars, maybe even the Texans feel like shiny opportunities.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

This is where I expect Dabol to go

And then we promote either the QB coach or WR's coach Hall

Not sure if Hall has enough coaching experience just yet to take that role.

It’d be interesting to see if we look at outside candidates to fill the OC vacancy. Seems likely that Dorsey gets promoted but you never know.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It has been reported that he definitely wants to be a HC

So, I’m not trying to be argumentative here, but where. I started looking, and found countless articles saying that he should get an interview, or an opportunity. The quote from McDermott has said he supports him being a coach. The only quote I’ve seen from Daboll, in regards to his desire to be a coach is this:

“You learn real quick that you better focus on the things that you can control, the task at hand,” he said. “Whether things are good outside or bad outside, you can’t control those. You can’t let your mind drift into those because then you wouldn’t be doing your job as good as you can do it. And that’s what you need to do. You better be at your best; you better be dialed in at this time of year because one slip-up and you’re not where you want to be. And that’s the worst feeling, trust me.”

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2020/12/24/buffalo-bills-brian-daboll-leslie-frazier-may-head-coaching-candidates/4028505001/

It doesn’t reflect a guy being interested in any job, other than the one he has. I know this is one source, and I trust your opinions. I’d just like to see it where he says he wants another job.

So, I’m not trying to be argumentative here, but where. I started looking, and found countless articles saying that he should get an interview, or an opportunity. The quote from McDermott has said he supports him being a coach. The only quote I’ve seen from Daboll, in regards to his desire to be a coach is this:

“You learn real quick that you better focus on the things that you can control, the task at hand,” he said. “Whether things are good outside or bad outside, you can’t control those. You can’t let your mind drift into those because then you wouldn’t be doing your job as good as you can do it. And that’s what you need to do. You better be at your best; you better be dialed in at this time of year because one slip-up and you’re not where you want to be. And that’s the worst feeling, trust me.”

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2020/12/24/buffalo-bills-brian-daboll-leslie-frazier-may-head-coaching-candidates/4028505001/

It doesn’t reflect a guy being interested in any job, other than the one he has. I know this is one source, and I trust your opinions. I’d just like to see it where he says he wants another job.

Something I’ve heard reported rather then read. Could have been a podcast or radio, can’t recall. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Great guy, but an offensive version of Wade Phillips. 

Amazing people, great coordinators, mediocre to bad head coaches. 

That said, Wade was a huge part of Denver's last Super Bowl win, and finally got a ring and should have won another with the Rams, holding Brady to 13 points with McVay's fancy offense scoring 3. 

Nothing wrong with being a fantastic OC. 

Why are people saying Lynn is a good or better OC?  The only time he was the OC was with the Bills in 2016 after they fired Roman after 2 games.  The Bills had a lot of talent on offense that year, so who knows what kind of coordinator he is.

The only thing I know about him is he's a good guy who hasn't proven much as a coordinator or head coach.  He's the EJ Manuel of coaches.  A guy who you would like to have as a friend or relative who you want nowhere near your football team.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Why do a lot of people think Daboll will want to leave?

He might be happy just being an OC and especially with this O.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the street......until you get there. 

Because he wants to be an HC

• Like (+1) 1