Anthony Lynn fired by Chargers

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s a very attractive job—probably the best one out there right now.  Lots of talent and a young QB already in place.

Drawbacks are Mahomes in division and ownership. But I agree roster and QB combination it is the best job on the market. 

• Like (+1) 1

I call this and I said at the beginning of the season that 7 or 8 HC’s would be fired this year. Lynn was really bad, in way over his head and he is not a leader. I don’t care if you read 10 of Tony Robbins books on how to be a leader it’s not going to help, you either have it or you don’t. 

Telesco will be hiring Daboll. Both St Francis grads. He will do well with Herbert who has similar intangibles as Josh Allen.

Bills OC would be a highly coveted opening but I think the Bills will look internally at Dorsey and Hall to keep continuity.

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

The special teams unit alone was a complete and total failure in coaching. Completely terrible. Great young QB who could have taken them somewhere this year and he was completely squandered. Lynn was a total failure as a HC.

Thats a bit unfair.  They missed starters in quite a few games

James missed the season.  Pouncey also didn't play all season.  

Harris missed 8 weeks.

Ekeler missed 6 weeks.

Ingram missed 9 weeks.

Bosa missed 4 weeks.

Bulaga played 38% of snaps.  

Allen/Williams/Henry all missed time this year.  There were weeks where they were on their 4th string back.

It's not an excuse of course - but I'm going to assume they regress next season.  I agree on the special teams part - but its hard to make a coaching adjustment like that mid-season.  

Top 10 in offense and defense yardage wise to me seems like neither unit could get it done in the 4th quarter.  

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the job that I fear most we lost Daboll to. 

Bad luck Anthony. You just aren't quite cut out for it. 

Maybe he just isn't cut out for it yet.  Spend a few more years as an assistant and a coordinator, and maybe it will be a different story next time around.  The mistake the Jets made with Gase, and the Bills made with Ryan, is hiring a guy hot off his failure as a HC someplace else.   Coaches need time to recover from the experience first time around, to reflect on it, to learn more about the game and what it takes to be the HC.   After they've learned, they have a better shot the second time around.   Obvious example is Belichick.

Which is not to say that it isn't possible to succeed the first time around.   Obviously, plenty of coaches do that.   But failing the first time doesn't mean you'll never succeed at it.  The only point is if you fail once, you'd best go back to the job you have succeeded at and learn some more things before you take your second shot.  

Someone mentioned Gase to Chargers.  For the reasons I just gave, Gase is the absolute worst possible choice.   He failed, immediately tried again, failed.   If he has any future as a head coach, it's after he's had a colling off period. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Why do a lot of people think Daboll will want to leave?

He might be happy just being an OC and especially with this O.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the street......until you get there. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1