Did blowout make Sean McDermott favorite for COY?

mjt328

6 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

F*ck the Coach of the Year. Give it to Cleveland Browns HC. As far as I can tell, getting COY award doesn't mean crap when the coach can get fired in a year or two.

I'd rather get into the AFC Championship game. To sniff at the possibility for a return to the SUPER BOWL. I'll take that instead.

Why not both.  Did anyone restrict our options ? 🙂

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

I agree that people calling Flores a fraud are doing it purely on a spite of a division rival.  He may not have handled his QB situation very well; but he had his team playing hard for him every week.  He had them almost winning against the reigning super bowl champion; they beat the Patriots; won tough road games. Beat the Rams on the road,   Flores will build that team better with the draft capital they have received from Houston....They could trade that 3rd pick into more multiple 1st and 2nd round picks and builld that team's offense even better. 

They may need to look for a more progressive OC than Chan Gailey

Miami has the coach and they have a lot of talent. They even have so much draft capital thanks to the Texans. But can they find a QB? I am not sold on Tua and Fitz is at best a stop gap QB who tops out at 10ish wins on a good supporting cast. Without a good QB it is hard to sustain winning. Look at the Jets from 2009-2010. They stacked their Offensive supporting cast and Defense while drafting a QB up high but that QB didn't pan out and the other components of the team aged rather quickly and they fell apart and became a 6-8 win team until it all completely fell apart. 

Miami has the third pick in the draft but do they really have a good QB option there? Lawrence will be long gone to Jax and I don't see the Jets trading to a division rival and they might take a QB anyway and trade Darnold for some picks. I like Flores and I think the Fins will be a tough competitor the next 2-4 years. But the defense can age or get gutted fairly quickly and the supporting cast on offense can get expensive and be less effective if the QB play isn't there.

Since this thread is about McD, two big knocks on him from past 3 seasons were clock management and challenges.

How do we feel he did on those this season?  Personally I don't recall much issue on either, may have been game early in season before the half wasted some time, but overall seemed better IMO??

Agree? Disagree?

The coach of the year almost always goes to an elite team.  Every coach of the year of the last decade has had at least 11 wins with the exception of a 9-3 season by Arians.   My guess is it goes to Cleveland's coach.  11-5 is worthy of COY.  Beane getting GM of the year virtually assures COY will not go to Buffalo.