Did blowout make Sean McDermott favorite for COY?

mjt328

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

His two toughest opponents are Rivera because cancer(doubt McDermot would even mind) and Stefanski for finally getting the Browns to the playoffs, but if McDermott didn't get it for taking the Bills he shouldn't get it for the Browns.

I don't think Stefanski beats out McD, the Browns are the one team that historically gets less respect than Buffalo. However you can't overlook the sympathy vote for Rivera. I have no idea who actually does the voting, but with WFT being an old established historical NFL team, combined with his battle with cancer, his reclamation of Alex Smith's career, and overcoming the dumpster fire that the front office was at the beginning of the season, I wouldn't bet against him as COY no matter how much I think McD deserves it.

The Bills stared the season as a playoff bubble team with a lot of doubts about their young QB making enough progress to get them over the hump. They ended the year as the most dominant team in the NFL, with Allen as a legit MVP candidate. Week 17 was a nice exclamation point; the 10-win Fins were in a must-win sutuation, and the Bills destroyed them with a lot of starters on the bench. 

Allen probably won't win MVP (too many turnovers, and just look at Rodgers' numbers), but McDermott should take COY. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 1

I get the sentiment to vote for Rivera because of what he is going through and that should get him some 2nd or 3rd place votes, but a coach with a losing record should not win coach of the year. Congrats, you took a terrible team and made them slightly less terrible...to me this feels like another situation where they are moving the goal posts to make up reasons not to give to to McDermott 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Question... do teams that don't make the playoffs get HC of the year?

I thought this was an interesting question so I did some research and the answer is yes but not since a guy named Jimmy Johnson did it in Dallas 1990... I doubt it happens again.

Edited by PrimeTime101

3 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

He should win it handily. FLO is a fraud. 

I wouldn't say Flores is a fraud. He took a pile of dog crap last year and won 5 games. That team had no business winning 2 or 3. 

And now they win 10. I don't call that a fraud. It's development and they have the 3 overall pick this year from the Texans. They are going to be competitive for as long as he is there.

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I don’t see where any posters are laughing at him or calling him “McClappy” anymore.

Why is that?

Because he forced us to learn that, THAT is his style.. I'm over it.. are you?

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I wouldn't say Flores is a fraud. He took a pile of dog crap last year and won 5 games. That team had no business winning 2 or 3. 

And now they win 10. I don't call that a fraud. It's development and they have the 3 overall pick this year from the Texans. They are going to be competitive for as long as he is there.

I think Fraud is a to strong of a word for it... Maybe more like... Fools gold?

40 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Because he forced us to learn that, THAT is his style.. I'm over it.. are you?

I never referred to him that way & always thought the term to be demeaning,

so I guess my response to your question is “What is with you?  Exactly what are you ‘over’? We’re you one of them?”

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

He should win it handily. FLO is a fraud. 

Flores isn't a fraud, he took a 5 win team (a team that was obviously tanking and probably had no business going 5-11) and got them to 10-6 with suspect QB play. I think it is obvious he is at least a respectable coach and will be in the mix for COTY. But McD will be in the conversation as well. I also think the Browns coach will be in the conversation. Overall I wouldn't be too upset if any of these coaches won it over McD but it would be nice to see him get some recognition. 

COY front runners right now are Flores of Miami (hurt badly after yesterday) and Stefanski of Cleveland.

Sorry I dont see McDermoot as COY, at least if it is decided pre Super Bowl, if we win that al bets are off.

It is very similar to Josh Allen for MVP.  The inertia for Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes as MVP is just to great right now to overcome.  Yes i think Allen and McDermeott  will get some vote but right now I would be shocked if either won.

Regardless, i am very pleased beyond any reasonable expectations this year.

29 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

COY front runners right now are Flores of Miami (hurt badly after yesterday) and Stefanski of Cleveland.

Sorry I dont see McDermoot as COY, at least if it is decided pre Super Bowl, if we win that al bets are off.

It is very similar to Josh Allen for MVP.  The inertia for Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes as MVP is just to great right now to overcome.  Yes i think Allen and McDermeott  will get some vote but right now I would be shocked if either won.

Regardless, i am very pleased beyond any reasonable expectations this year.

The interesting thing is I think Josh Allen’s development hurts McD’s chances.

Josh as an MVP candidate makes the coaching job seem not so impressive.

Hard to argue the resume of Stefanski is much better than McD though

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

The interesting thing is I think Josh Allen’s development hurts McD’s chances.

Josh as an MVP candidate makes the coaching job seem not so impressive.

Hard to argue the resume of Stefanski is much better than McD though

The Browns making it to the playoffs for the first time in what 15 years? is a lot to overcome. And the Browns last year were a disaster.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The Browns making it to the playoffs for the first time in what 15 years? is a lot to overcome. And the Browns last year were a disaster.

They were 6-10 with 4 losses of 1 score or less.

I get it. He’s a candidate because of the storyline. Story matters the most when it comes to COTY and CBPOY. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

He definitely deserves it. But this award usually goes to team the make a drastic improvement... but McDermott built this team over several years methodically so i doubt he earns it. But i think Sean more methodical approach will equal way more success long term then a team that made a huge leap for 1 season like Browns/Dolphins

Agreed...I think that is why Stefanski wins it.   The Browns made the playoffs after 17 seasons in his first year as HC.  He shut down all the noise in Cleveland and made them a disciplined team.

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Flores isn't a fraud, he took a 5 win team (a team that was obviously tanking and probably had no business going 5-11) and got them to 10-6 with suspect QB play. I think it is obvious he is at least a respectable coach and will be in the mix for COTY. But McD will be in the conversation as well. I also think the Browns coach will be in the conversation. Overall I wouldn't be too upset if any of these coaches won it over McD but it would be nice to see him get some recognition. 

I agree that people calling Flores a fraud are doing it purely on a spite of a division rival.  He may not have handled his QB situation very well; but he had his team playing hard for him every week.  He had them almost winning against the reigning super bowl champion; they beat the Patriots; won tough road games. Beat the Rams on the road,   Flores will build that team better with the draft capital they have received from Houston....They could trade that 3rd pick into more multiple 1st and 2nd round picks and builld that team's offense even better. 

They may need to look for a more progressive OC than Chan Gailey

F*ck the Coach of the Year. Give it to Cleveland Browns HC. As far as I can tell, getting COY award doesn't mean crap when the coach can get fired in a year or two.

I'd rather get into the AFC Championship game. To sniff at the possibility for a return to the SUPER BOWL. I'll take that instead.