Did blowout make Sean McDermott favorite for COY?

mjt328

About a week ago, there were some articles floating around that Sean McDermott had the second-best odds for winning 2020 Coach of the Year... just behind Miami's Brian Flores.

But a lot can change in a week.  And I think it would be tough for voters to pick COY from a Dolphins team that failed to make the playoffs.  Especially after getting destroyed in Week 17, needing a win to get into the postseason.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, DeltaDigital said:

He should win it handily. FLO is a fraud. 

Lol take it easy man.

But yes...hes def over FLO at this point.

Fins are in a good spot. They have a top 3 pick lol. They need a ton of WR help. That will help Tua get to where he wants to be.

Those fins WRs are god awful. They all need to be replaced.

2 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Lol take it easy man.

But yes...hes def over FLO at this point.

Fins are in a good spot. They have a top 3 pick lol. They need a ton of WR help. That will help Tua get to where he wants to be.

Those fins WRs are god awful. They all need to be replaced.

Fair enough... Still a better WR Corps than Robert Foster, Zay Jones, and Lee Smith... Not saying you're making them, but the excuses for a heisman winning national champion QB are endless. 

6 minutes ago, Domitian said:

COY voting is an utter crapshoot, so who knows.  I do think you have to take Flores out after that game though.  

A lot of politics go into all these awards... and Buffalo is not a league golden child. I think COY though McD will have a good shot. Hard to build a case more deserving than he has done.

22 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

About a week ago, there were some articles floating around that Sean McDermott had the second-best odds for winning 2020 Coach of the Year... just behind Miami's Brian Flores.

But a lot can change in a week.  And I think it would be tough for voters to pick COY from a Dolphins team that failed to make the playoffs.  Especially after getting destroyed in Week 17, needing a win to get into the postseason.

I think he was already the Favorite.  Close with Browns IMO.  But the AFCE Winning, and dismantling of the NFLs top Defense with mostly backups likely locked it up for him.

15 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I think this is a great question.  Media people giving COY to Flores talked about his handling of Tua/Fitz, but I think it really showed that it wasn’t feel, but the fact that Fitz was significantly better than Tua - therefore the switch and continued pulling of the starter actually hurt the team.

I also think that preseason - most pundits had the Dolphins around 6-7 wins and they got 10 (+3 to expectations). They also had the Bills with around 10 wins and they got 13 (+3 to expectations). 

I think Flores did a good job with the talent, but the fact that they missed the playoff by getting smoked in the last game should knock some luster off Flores and should highlight the job done by McD.  

I also think the winning streak to close out the season and the SOS and SOV should push McD to the top, but I also think some voters already have their minds made up - it is how Mahomes will get a lot of his MVP vote - when he just isn’t the MVP.

The Buffalo Bills entered the current season as one of the NFL's most intriguing question marks. Many predicted a record around .500, ranging from 7-9 to 9-7. Our strength of schedule was recognized by all to be among the most difficult in the league.

Executive of the year, Brandon Beane. He turned weaknesses into strengths with the signing of Daryl Williams and the very bold trade for Steffon Diggs. Beane also added another solid draft, including winning on a 6th round pick of our new kicker, Tyler Bass. Without Beane's magic, we're not here.

Coach of the year, Sean McDermott. McDermott preaches process and complimentary football. The Bills have improved performance and gained momentum throughout the season in all three phases of the game. This, while molding (with Daboll) a former project, now an elite quarterback, for today and the next 10 years.

Both have been masterful and deserve this year's awards in a vote that should not be close.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Betting Odds pretty much had Flores and MCD neck and neck as favorites, some with Flores in a slight lead.  I would think getting utterly destroyed in every facet of the game in a "win and in" scenario to MCD who played his starters only a half would end that discussion, but the award is voted on by sports writers, so who knows.  They're as likely to give it to Ron Rivera for the whole coaching with cancer angle.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

hard to say. Me, I say yes.

the argument is that Miami got 10 wins with a strong rebuilding effort.

BUT 

Tua the HOT QB is not what was advertised and the better defense got blown out.  

I just kept reading about how dangerous this defense was.  And either they rolled over after the PR TD, or they are not very good.  Buffalo scored in like 40 seconds in the 2 minute drill.  The 3 TDs in the 4th quarter were when the game was basically out of reach, but honestly the drive to make it 28-6 vs 21-6 really just ended it.

As for coach of the year - its a tough year.

Payton is deserving.  Carroll is deserving.  Lafleur and Reid.  Stefanski.  Hell - even Ron Rivera. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think anyone comes close to McDermott for Coach of the Year.  Sweeping the division, securing a 2 seed and the overall improvement between 2019 and 2020 are enough reasons, alone.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

A lot of politics go into all these awards... and Buffalo is not a league golden child. I think COY though McD will have a good shot. Hard to build a case more deserving than he has done.

I agree the NFL plays favorites, and it does factor into things like awards.

But I also think the Bills are starting to gain some popularity amongst the general fanbase, which will gain them traction in that area.  It's not all about big markets.  We have a tremendous, high-scoring offense with some likable young players.

• Like (+1) 1

He definitely deserves it. But this award usually goes to team the make a drastic improvement... but McDermott built this team over several years methodically so i doubt he earns it. But i think Sean more methodical approach will equal way more success long term then a team that made a huge leap for 1 season like Browns/Dolphins

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I just kept reading about how dangerous this defense was.  And either they rolled over after the PR TD, or they are not very good.  Buffalo scored in like 40 seconds in the 2 minute drill.  The 3 TDs in the 4th quarter were when the game was basically out of reach, but honestly the drive to make it 28-6 vs 21-6 really just ended it.

As for coach of the year - its a tough year.

Payton is deserving.  Carroll is deserving.  Lafleur and Reid.  Stefanski.  Hell - even Ron Rivera. 

the 3 TD’s by Josh should have been enough 

By the 4th qtr they just gave ip