Rules prevent Daboll interview if Bills in the hunt until the 2 weeks before SB

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He has  shown he wants to be a HC. He interviewed for the Cleveland job last year. 
Root for a SB win and Daboll get the HC job he wants, and McDermott hires a new OC who brings in an even more dynamic offense. 

I'm Inigo Montoya, and I approve this message.

• Haha (+1) 2

We’ll see how it goes. I don’t think Daboll will leave for the Jets as he’s a Buffalo guy and the Jets ownership is a dumpster fire. He’s going to interview for at least one of the other openings. With what he’s done this year and Allen’s improvement Daboll will be getting his shot. At least one team will likely be willing to wait. 

If Chargers job opens up and they don't clean house with Telesco also (they shouldn't - he's drafted pretty well including QB), i believe Telesco and Daboll know each other very well and could fast track the interview for him to catch up to other candidates in 2 weeks if Bills make it that far.

Also, i think that is a great fit for him personality wise. Chargers are always going to be 2nd fiddle to Rams market wise in LA so going there, he doesn't have any pressure to be a dynamic personality that LA usually covets.

This is a guy who spent alot of time with Saban and Belichek. I think he'll be selective in his job search. Bills offense is mostly young and locked up. He can ride this wave for a couple cycles IMO

Edited by BrooklynBills

Chargers make a lot of sense for Daboll, if he wants to be a HC.

Bengals could also be intriguing, if they fire Taylor, who IMO had no business being hired as a head coach and was a product of "people who have spent 5 minutes with Sean McVay" a couple years back. 

I would love Daboll to stay, if he chooses, but if he gets a chance to move up the ladder you can't blame him. 

The good news is that the Bills would be able to have their pick of OC candidates, given Allen and the offensive weapons here.

18 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He has  shown he wants to be a HC. He interviewed for the Cleveland job last year. 
Root for a SB win and Daboll get the HC job he wants, and McDermott hires a new OC who brings in an even more dynamic offense. 

This isn't entirely true. A lot of coaches interview just for the "experience" in case they ever decide they do seriously want to consider taking a job. In fact I'm sure McDermott encourages coaches to interview as "experiencing" the interview process can be invaluable. 

My question is what is the draw? I'm serious. I realize there's only 32 NFL head coaches. But there's also only 32 NFL offensive coordinators. And with the added benefit of this being his home town, raising his kids here, his family being here, being in an extremely well run organization with a franchise QB and with the possibility of building a dynasty. Why would you want to leave? He could be eternally immortalized here with the likes of Levy, Polian, Kelly. With multiple Superbowl rings. Or he could go to another team and fail miserably through no fault of his own and have that on his resume. 

Is it just money? Or power? Or ego? What is the motivation? Because if it's just money, give him a raise. I know I would prefer to stay and build a New England type dynasty right here in Western New York. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I forgot about Houston, but I think you’re spot on there.  Didn’t Watson say/hint something about Bienemy there?  If Bienemy doesn’t get that job, though, Houston would be a fit.  I’m a little skeptical they go for a guy trained by Belichick after the BOB saga. 

I agree, to a point.  But good ones also have a career arc in mind, too.  Daboll will get his shot, either this year or next year.   I don’t see this as a Brian Schottenheimer (or maybe McDaniels Part II) situation where one is a bit too picky and the opportunity passes him by.  We have a good situation here with Allen, we’re in a pretty lousy division that we should run for the next couple of years, cap is in good shape, and we’re positioned to keep the “pieces” around Allen that have helped him to succeed.   So maybe cleaning up the Jets mess isn’t as attractive as waiting a year for an opportunity with better culture/ownership/weather/QB situation/division prospects, etc.  

We have no clue what Daboll wants. The Jets or Jags could be exactly what he wants and if so, the Bills should do everything possible to help get him the job. To do anything else would leave a sour taste and would boomerang on the Bills for years.  I want Daboll to get offers, and then I want the next great coaching talent to choose Buffalo as a place to get their shot.  If Daboll chooses not to leave, that works as well, but I want it to be on his terms. 

8 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Should be interesting.  He's a home town guy with a young family.   He'll be torn, as he may get an offer or two.  

I'd like to think this is a factor, but I honestly doubt it.

He's going to do what's best for his career and will move, if necessary, as he has been.

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Of course the rules apply to every team but New England whom interview by satellite

Especially since it's not really an interview...Belichick probes the candidate's mind, and implants suggestions in the ones selected: "I will coach for New England.  Bill Belichick is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."