Rules prevent Daboll interview if Bills in the hunt until the 2 weeks before SB

NFL rules limit the ability of other teams to interview assistant coaches / coordinators if the coach's team is still in the playoff hunt.  If the Bills had earned a first round bye this year other teams could have interviewed Daboll during the bye week, so the lack of a bye week helps a bit in that regard.  If the Bills continue to win, the earliest any team can legally interview Daboll for a head coaching gig would be the two week period between the AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl.

Let's hope that the Bills continue to win and that head coach needy teams start hiring head coaches ASAP so there are fewer partners left for Daboll once he can finally join the dance.  I would love to see Daboll back as the OC next year if we don't win it all this year.  Once we win a Super Bowl, I will officially give my blessing for Daboll to move on.  Until then, I want Daboll whispering in Josh's ear in Orchard Park on Sundays.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

NFL rules limit the ability of other teams to interview assistant coaches / coordinators if the coach's team is still in the playoff hunt.  If the Bills had earned a first round bye this year other teams could have interviewed Daboll during the bye week, so the lack of a bye week helps a bit in that regard.  If the Bills continue to win, the earliest any team can legally interview Daboll for a head coaching gig would be the two week period between the AFC Championship game and the Super Bowl.

Let's hope that the Bills continue to win and that head coach needy teams start hiring head coaches ASAP so there are fewer partners left for Daboll once he can finally join the dance.  I would love to see Daboll back as the OC next year if we don't win it all this year.  Once we win a Super Bowl, I will officially give my blessing for Daboll to move on.  Until then, I want Daboll whispering in Josh's ear in Orchard Park on Sundays.

Didn't I read Bienemy has an interview today?

https://www.nfl.com/news/49ers-dc-robert-saleh-chiefs-oc-eric-bieniemy-set-for-head-coaching-interviews-o

Edited by wjag

1 minute ago, wjag said:

Didn't I read Bienemy has an interview today?

Chiefs are on their bye.  Hopefully someone snaps him up!

• Like (+1) 1

I'm starting to wonder how many jobs will be open next year, and how many such jobs might be attractive to someone like Daboll.  LAC is a no-brainer, if it opens.  Jax probably would be, too, with Lawrence on the way.  But a reclamation project in Detroit? Or a "one last gasp" effort in ATL?  Not sure I'd want that.  The Jets?  Why waste the shot on that dysfunction.  Better off waiting for a year on the Chargers. So maybe he's not gone after all.  We will see how many openings pop up today.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Should be interesting.  He's a home town guy with a young family.   He'll be torn, as he may get an offer or two.  

• Like (+1) 1

We should root for Daboll to get his dream job. He’s earned it. I ONLY want Daboll back if he chooses to stay and not because his success placed him at a disadvantage. To me, hoping he doesn’t get a job is like being happy someone’s car broke down and they can’t leave town. 

13 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I'm starting to wonder how many jobs will be open next year, and how many such jobs might be attractive to someone like Daboll.  LAC is a no-brainer, if it opens.  Jax probably would be, too, with Lawrence on the way.  But a reclamation project in Detroit? Or a "one last gasp" effort in ATL?  Not sure I'd want that.  The Jets?  Why waste the shot on that dysfunction.  Better off waiting for a year on the Chargers. So maybe he's not gone after all.  We will see how many openings pop up today.  

Not long ago the Bills were one of those hopelessly dysfunctional teams. It’s what good coaches WANT to do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I think if Lynn gets fired Daboll will go there. If not I think we might have a chance to keep him another year looking at the fits of who seems to be favoured in each spot. Looks very much like Urban Meyer is Jacksonville's guy, Bienemy seems to be the favourite in Houston..... and I agree with you Lions, Atlanta and the Jets are less natural fits. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

What about Houston?

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

NFL really needs to block any and all interviews until all games are played. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

We should root for Daboll to get his dream job. He’s earned it. I ONLY want Daboll back if he chooses to stay and not because his success placed him at a disadvantage. To me, hoping he doesn’t get a job is like being happy someone’s car broke down and they can’t leave town. 

Not long ago the Bills were one of those hopelessly dysfunctional teams. It’s what good coaches WANT to do. 

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Never been a big fan of holding anyone back from a promotion. Daboll deserves to be an NFL HC if that’s what he wants to be. Rooting against that is bad mojo. McDermott and Beane will figure out a new OC. 

This is the way the coaching carousel works in the NFL.  A hundred different factors go into who gets a job each off season, and one of those factors is who is available to interview at the start of the off season, which for 18 teams, starts today.   The internet musings of one Inigo Montoya will have no karmic effect on what happens or doesn't happen to Mr. Brian Daboll.  I think it's fair for a fan of the Bills to hope that we can keep the band together for one more year if we don't win the Super Bowl this year.  I think it's inevitable that Daboll ends up a head coach, it's just my wish that he does it off the glory of a recently won Buffalo Bills Super Bowl.

🍻

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think if Lynn gets fired Daboll will go there. If not I think we might have a chance to keep him another year looking at the fits of who seems to be favoured in each spot. Looks very much like Urban Meyer is Jacksonville's guy, Bienemy seems to be the favourite in Houston..... and I agree with you Lions, Atlanta and the Jets are less natural fits. 

I forgot about Houston, but I think you’re spot on there.  Didn’t Watson say/hint something about Bienemy there?  If Bienemy doesn’t get that job, though, Houston would be a fit.  I’m a little skeptical they go for a guy trained by Belichick after the BOB saga. 

1 hour ago, Max Fischer said:

I agree, to a point.  But good ones also have a career arc in mind, too.  Daboll will get his shot, either this year or next year.   I don’t see this as a Brian Schottenheimer (or maybe McDaniels Part II) situation where one is a bit too picky and the opportunity passes him by.  We have a good situation here with Allen, we’re in a pretty lousy division that we should run for the next couple of years, cap is in good shape, and we’re positioned to keep the “pieces” around Allen that have helped him to succeed.   So maybe cleaning up the Jets mess isn’t as attractive as waiting a year for an opportunity with better culture/ownership/weather/QB situation/division prospects, etc.  

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Never been a big fan of holding anyone back from a promotion. Daboll deserves to be an NFL HC if that’s what he wants to be. Rooting against that is bad mojo. McDermott and Beane will figure out a new OC. 

That's why you root for him to CHOOSE to stay, not root for him to not get offers.  

50 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This is the way the coaching carousel works in the NFL.  A hundred different factors go into who gets a job each off season, and one of those factors is who is available to interview at the start of the off season, which for 18 teams, starts today.   The internet musings of one Inigo Montoya will have no karmic effect on what happens or doesn't happen to Mr. Brian Daboll.  I think it's fair for a fan of the Bills to hope that we can keep the band together for one more year if we don't win the Super Bowl this year.  I think it's inevitable that Daboll ends up a head coach, it's just my wish that he does it off the glory of a recently won Buffalo Bills Super Bowl.

🍻

Well spoken sir! I second that motion. May Daboll gets his ring in Buffalo (which for him I would assume would be sweeter than any he got in New England) ...and then send the man off into the sunset as he goes to conquer the NFL world 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

As I recall this has been true.  but they keep tweaking the rules so who really knows.  

As usual Yolo is on top of it 

👍

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Domitian said:

That's why you root for him to CHOOSE to stay, not root for him to not get offers.  

He has  shown he wants to be a HC. He interviewed for the Cleveland job last year. 
Root for a SB win and Daboll get the HC job he wants, and McDermott hires a new OC who brings in an even more dynamic offense. 

• Like (+1) 1