Ok I'm gonna say it...This is the best offense we have ever had entering the post season

Billever76

7 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Still a K-Gun billiever. Had pass and run game.

The run game was key......this version of the Bills is very exciting but the 90's K-Gun had Thurman.....a dual purpose blocking threat......there is a reason they went 4 straight times.  This version of the Bills will be interesting over the next few weeks for sure!!

Go BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Might want to go back and re watch that SB.   Extremely poor tackling was the major reason they were on the field for 40 minutes, not because of the K gun offense.   

When the k gun sputtered because of the no huddle, the defense would spend most of the game on the field. That is just a fact, as was Rick Tuten punting 5 or 6 times in that super bowl, because the k gun couldn’t sustain drives in that game. The revered k gun managed a paltry 3 scoring drives. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Utah John said:

No, I have to disagree.  Andre Reed, James Lofton, Don Beebe, Keith McKellar, Thurman Thomas. Reed made his living going across the middle where most players feared to tread.  Reed, Lofton, and Thomas all made the Pro Bowl in 1991.  Thomas had 631 receiving yards.  Al Edwards didn't start but he was a good player. 

If there's an advantage for this year's team, it's with the offensive coordinator.  What Daboll comes up with is amazing. 

As for the HCs, both took lousy teams and, along with brilliant GMs, made them better quickly.  Levy was able to keep a great team focused and together for years, and McD hasn't had a chance to do that yet.  Levy had a team full of stars and had them working together.  McD has a team of very good players and has them working together.  I'll take either one, don't want to rate one above the other.

I was going to start dissecting your reply but I'll just agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

When the k gun sputtered because of the no huddle, the defense would spend most of the game on the field. That is just a fact, as was Rick Tuten punting 5 or 6 times in that super bowl, because the k gun couldn’t sustain drives in that game. The revered k gun managed a paltry 3 scoring drives. 

We can agree to disagree, but the K gun can't help the pathetic tackling of the defense on the Giants opening drive of the 3rd quarter.   

Definitely the most prolific offense the team has ever had.  The K-Gun did have more balance though.  HOF QB, 2x HOF WR, HOF and MVP RB.  This Bills team lacks the running game.   That being said, the K-Gun failed when in truly mattered, 4 years in a row, so maybe this pass happy attack in a pass happy league will be different!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buftex said:

I know it was garbage time (for us), but Williams ran the ball like I was envisioning Moss to run it this year.  I realize, Williams is a little bigger than Moss, but he ran with power.  Moss is still kind of a mixed bag for me.

As much as I think Moss struggled to gain yards at times, I still think he performed better than Singletary did this year. Our o-line needs to do better in run blocking schemes. Pass blocking they are ridiculously good. JA some weeks can sit back in the pocket and literally make a loaf of bread he has so much time and open space protecting him. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

We can agree to disagree, but the K gun can't help the pathetic tackling of the defense on the Giants opening drive of the 3rd quarter.   

i just looked, 6 punts on 10 drives. 1/8 on third down. 19:27 time of possession, meaning less than 2 minutes per possession on average. Sure the Bills defense missed tackles, especially on one play in Q3...  but to say k gun had no weaknesses is absolutely false. They stunk up the place that game only putting up 17 points and were really two big plays away from almost being shut out (the Lofton tip catch and the big Thurman run) 

if anyone in advance told you the defense was going to hold the Giants to 20 points, I’d believe it would have expected an easy win. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

A couple of observations....

I can still remember McMahon (Bears QB) having a concussion that "cleared up at halftime." For those of us who have watched the game for decades, the changes that have been made are truly incredible. Check out this segment showing McMahon get piledriven well after the play and the explanation for how things were handled then. 

Here's Ditka angrily saying that McMahon was fine after seeing spots in his eyes and that he didn't want to hear the question again: 

Can you imagine a coach today saying that? He had some spots in his eyes but it cleared up and he'll be at practice all week and play next weekend? 

The game has changed for the better, 100%. 

But as others have said as well, this is why offensive stats were lower overall in the past. Guys were getting beat to a pulp on a weekly basis. 

As far as this Bills team compared to those teams... I see the same type of comradery forming, which is amazing and cannot be overstated. 

One difference between this offense and the K Gun was that in Kelly's day they had very few plays and just ran them over and over, with different wrinkles here and there. Tasker talks about it all the time. It wasn't a big playbook. It was mostly based on doing a few things extremely well, and most teams couldn't stop it. 

Offenses today (and defenses) are much more complicated and multiple than in the past. Guys like Walsh on offense and Parcells/Belichick on defense (hate to say it, but it's true) were way ahead of their time, which is part of why they were so successful. Most games they were facing off against teams that were just playing what we might call vanilla offense/defense today: line up and play.

Back then there were a lot of "ole ball coaches" who to be honest were pretty much interchangeable. Game plans were play hard, hit hard, tackle well, catch the ball, block. Very complex systems were somewhat unusual. That might sound like a knock, but it's not meant to be. My point is that the game has evolved tremendously, and it's easy to forget that given the NFL of today. 

Now, the league is full of mad scientists and wunderkinds cooking up all sorts of exotic schemes, especially on offense. It's a different kind of arms race, where you have to outthink the other mad scientist on the opposing sideline, PLUS accumulate talent. Couple that with rules changes, and it's no surprise that scoring and stats are up. What truly amazing is that there are still a few great defenses that show up in the biggest games, even with all of these things being true.

So you CAN still scheme up a defense that can shut down the best offenses, even with all the rules changes. The Giants beat the 18-0 Patriots, who had a seemingly unstoppable offense, by a score of 17-14 in the Super Bowl. Then again in another Super Bowl by a score of 21-17 a couple years later. 

The league has proven that you can play a lockdown defense without head shots, dirty hits, and destroying WRs over the middle. It's just that very very few coaches are able to come up with plans to do that.

The best news of all, and the biggest difference between the 90's teams and now, is that we have defensive coaches who are among those few in the league. 

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The K-Gun sputtered in that 1st SB because of poor coaching. I’d adequate it to Pete Carroll’s decision to throw instead of giving ball to Beast Mode. Giants played with multiple DBs and instead of letting Thurman run the rock, they decided to keep trying to throw the ball

• Like (+1) 1

The game is way softer today than it ever was, the really big hits are gone, it allows for the smaller track runners to play. In the 90’s Tyreek Hill wouldn’t have made it out of OTAs, today he’s a star.   This team is built well for today’s game and that’s all that matters.

5 hours ago, BigPappy said:

As much as I think Moss struggled to gain yards at times, I still think he performed better than Singletary did this year. Our o-line needs to do better in run blocking schemes. Pass blocking they are ridiculously good. JA some weeks can sit back in the pocket and literally make a loaf of bread he has so much time and open space protecting him. 

Maybe better than Singletary, but only by a hair.  Remember how good Singletary was last year?  He (and perhaps Moss too) just don't seem to be getting a lot of opportunities.  From my armature eye though, I think Singletary hits the hole a little better...not trying to trash Moss, he has had moments, I just envisioned him being a little more of a bruiser...Singletary's game (when he was going good) is a little craftier.   

• Like (+1) 1