Ok I'm gonna say it...This is the best offense we have ever had entering the post season

Billever76

48 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

K-Gun didn’t have a weakness across the board. Knox is the current Bills weak link

sure there was. They couldn’t/didn’t  possess the ball, so they screwed the defense which had to stay on the field 40 minutes per game. Also Jim was not very mobile and the TEs were nothing special. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I think we were a more dominant, complete team, and probably the best in the entire league at the end of the 1990 season, going into SB XXV against the Giants.

This time period right now feels close for me though!  

We are on a huge win streak, we seem really relaxed in a very healthy, positive way, and we have a QB who can win it all and win tough games against teams with great QBs themselves.

Enjoy it!

It’s a special year. We still have to do it in the playoffs to be with that group. I think we can though. 

Just now, mykidsdad said:

We are missing a Thurman on Offense and a Bruce on D. I still think we can win it all, but we aren't as talented as the Hall of Fame machine that was our 1990s Bills.

This group could have HOF players too. We will have to look back on it a couple decades from now. Allen, Diggs, and White have potential. 

55 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm going to sound INCREDIBLY old right now but all of these comparisons need to remember and take into account the myriad of rule changes that have happened since 1990-91.  You can't bludgeon people over the middle, you can't hit the QB high, you can't hit the QB low, you can't hit the QB even remotely late, you can hold basically every down on offense, DBs get called for WAY more holding and illegal contact now than before, a defenseless receiver was something to murder not to avoid, there was no sliding like WRs do now to avoid contact.  If you slid like that in front of Steve Atwater you'd lose your head.

If you read this and think I sound like a boomer go watch a game from 90 or 91 on YouTube and tell me what you think.  The games are there.  Go watch them and count the number of things that would be obvious and blatant penalties today that not only weren't penalties they were lauded as good plays at the time.

DING DING DING we have a winner here. 

The game has changed so much that looking at Farve's lifetime stats by year tell some of the story. He was MVP with a 90's QB rating, then later in his career he was a post 100+ QB rating. 

Players weren't able to get to 4k yards a season because it was so hard. There is no hearing the footsteps as a WR, there is no penalty for attacking the QB. That gives the QB calmer feet. The whole thing is an offensive league now. 

Half of QBs in 2020 throw 65% completion rate or higher. 10 QBs have a rating 100+ and 9 QBs threw over 4k yards. 9 QBs had 30+ TDs and 19 over 20 TDs. 

1992? 2 QBs over 65%, 1 QB over 100+ QB rating, 5 QBs threw over 20 TDs and none over 25 TDs. Only 1 QB over 4k yards in a season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1992/passing.htm

Edited by BillsToast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I think we were a more dominant, complete team, and probably the best in the entire league at the end of the 1990 season, going into SB XXV against the Giants.

This time period right now feels close for me though!  

We are on a huge win streak, we seem really relaxed in a very healthy, positive way, and we have a QB who can win it all and win tough games against teams with great QBs themselves.

Enjoy it!

100%.  Bills were so good I thought they would easily truck the Giants.  30 years later I almost still can’t believe it was a competitive game, let alone a loss.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

K-Gun didn’t have a weakness across the board. Knox is the current Bills weak link

It's greatest strength was it's greatest weakness. JK called the plays, and was awesome at it. Except when defenses did exotic ***** to fool him. He didn't have someone like Dabs in his ear making adjustments.

It's greatest strength was it's greatest weakness. JK called the plays, and was awesome at it. Except when defenses did exotic ***** to fool him. He didn't have someone like Dabs in his ear making adjustments.

16 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Which is another rule change that I forgot to mention.  QB helmet radios weren't a thing. Which matters. A lot.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

sure there was. They couldn’t/didn’t  possess the ball, so they screwed the defense which had to stay on the field 40 minutes per game. Also Jim was not very mobile and the TEs were nothing special. 

No, there wasn't.

Scoring quickly is not a weakness. They weren't just the highest scorers, they scored 51 points more than the 5th highest scorers. A low time of possession wasn't a weakness, it was a side effect of their extreme productivity.

And Kelly early in his career was plenty mobile. No, he wasn't an antelope, but he could move decently. Lost that in the last two or three years and that's how people remember him, but he could run when he had to and evaded sacks well.

And not being special (the TEs) isn't a weakness. We got 9 TDs out of the TEs in 1990, for instance. And over 500 yards and excellent blocking, in a season when the best TE in the league managed 747 yards. McKeller was 7th in the league for yards among TEs. That's not a weakness. Certainly not an extreme strength either, but far from a weakness.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Might want to go back and re watch that SB.   Extremely poor tackling was the major reason they were on the field for 40 minutes, not because of the K gun offense.   

The NFL moved away from selling big hits, to selling high scoring, and also moved away from brain injuries to protecting players.  The game has changed enormously.  I think Madden had a lot to do with it -- Madden the game more than Madden the coach.  People get used to seeing offensive production and they expect to see it on the field too.

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

I'd dare say that this offense has better receivers than the K-gun offense had.  Definitely a more mobile QB.  Possibly a more creative OC.

No, I have to disagree.  Andre Reed, James Lofton, Don Beebe, Keith McKellar, Thurman Thomas. Reed made his living going across the middle where most players feared to tread.  Reed, Lofton, and Thomas all made the Pro Bowl in 1991.  Thomas had 631 receiving yards.  Al Edwards didn't start but he was a good player. 

If there's an advantage for this year's team, it's with the offensive coordinator.  What Daboll comes up with is amazing. 

As for the HCs, both took lousy teams and, along with brilliant GMs, made them better quickly.  Levy was able to keep a great team focused and together for years, and McD hasn't had a chance to do that yet.  Levy had a team full of stars and had them working together.  McD has a team of very good players and has them working together.  I'll take either one, don't want to rate one above the other.

The ‘90 team is the only team better than this one going into the playoffs. People forget that the early 90s were in an unprecedented era of dominance for the NFC, 13 straight Super Bowl wins. Winning the AFC in those days was similar to winning the MAC and having to go against the SEC champion for the overall title. 

It’s kind of futile to compare the K Gun offense to this one Super Allen.  They are both special, and have similar and different strengths.  Football is played so much differently now than at that time.  

I just checked this morning.  We finished the year with the #2 offense, #3 in passing, #20 in rushing, and my favorite, #2 in pts.  We’re only .5 pts. Behind the Packers.  We dropped slightly for the year to 14th in defense, and a fun pt. Was ST.  We are #1 in the league in kickoff returns, and #4 in punt returns.

Talk about playing well in all three phases of the game.

• Like (+1) 1