Ok I'm gonna say it...This is the best offense we have ever had entering the post season

Billever76

I think we were a more dominant, complete team, and probably the best in the entire league at the end of the 1990 season, going into SB XXV against the Giants.

This time period right now feels close for me though!  

We are on a huge win streak, we seem really relaxed in a very healthy, positive way, and we have a QB who can win it all and win tough games against teams with great QBs themselves.

Enjoy it!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Still a K-Gun billiever. Had pass and run game.

Agreed.  That offense also had Thurman who put ridiculous all-purpose yards.  Imagine this offense with a Dalvin Cook on it.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Probably the best passing offense the team has ever had. But maybe not the best overall offense.

Still, it's super awesome to be able to even say something like that and have it taken seriously.

• Like (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think we were a more dominant, complete team, and probably the best in the entire league at the end of the 1990 season, going into SB XXV against the Giants.

This time period right now feels close for me though!  

We are on a huge win streak, we seem really relaxed in a very healthy, positive way, and we have a QB who can win it all and win tough games against teams with great QBs themselves.

Enjoy it!

The difference, for me, is the head coach. McDermott is showing a killer mentality. Marv didn’t 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Antonio Williams had me raise an eyebrow 

I know it was garbage time (for us), but Williams ran the ball like I was envisioning Moss to run it this year.  I realize, Williams is a little bigger than Moss, but he ran with power.  Moss is still kind of a mixed bag for me.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Probably the best passing offense the team has ever had. But maybe not the best overall offense.

Still, it's super awesome to be able to even say something like that and have it taken seriously.

K-Gun didn’t have a weakness across the board. Knox is the current Bills weak link

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Buftex said:

I know it was garbage time (for us), but Williams ran the ball like I was envisioning Moss to run it this year.  I realize, Williams is a little bigger than Moss, but he ran with power.  Moss is still kind of a mixed bag for me.

And against Dolphins starters. Considered one of the best defenses in the league 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

And the running game.

It’s adequate 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm going to sound INCREDIBLY old right now but all of these comparisons need to remember and take into account the myriad of rule changes that have happened since 1990-91.  You can't bludgeon people over the middle, you can't hit the QB high, you can't hit the QB low, you can't hit the QB even remotely late, you can hold basically every down on offense, DBs get called for WAY more holding and illegal contact now than before, a defenseless receiver was something to murder not to avoid, there was no sliding like WRs do now to avoid contact.  If you slid like that in front of Steve Atwater you'd lose your head.

If you read this and think I sound like a boomer go watch a game from 90 or 91 on YouTube and tell me what you think.  The games are there.  Go watch them and count the number of things that would be obvious and blatant penalties today that not only weren't penalties they were lauded as good plays at the time.

The Bills have an excellent offense for the time period they are in.  Kelly in today's league wouldn't retire at 36 from getting beaten to a pulp.  Andre Reed would be uncoverable over the middle because you couldn't manhandle him.  A player like Pete Metzelaars would be extremely difficult to defend because he was 6'8" and you can't hit receivers over the middle any more.  You basically have to let them catch the ball and then try to pull it out.  Gronkowski in 1990 would be a dead man walking with the routes that Brady had him run and the throws he hung up in the air for him.  The player that would probably look close to the same would be Thomas IMO mostly because players like him were ahead of their time.

FWIW, Dan Marino would be absolutely ungodly in the modern NFL.  You'd never lay a hand on him.  He threw for 5k yards when 3k was an excellent season.

15 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Williams seems to be a little more point and shoot.  Moss has a little more wiggle.  Not sure who is faster but Williams seemed like a load to tackle.  Not that Moss doesn't run hard but Williams seemed to have that little bit more mass that made DBs not want to stick their nose in there quite so hard.  Reminded me a little of another Williams we had not so long ago.  Kinda the same style of runner.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Big C said:

I am still seeing a lot of doubters out in the Twittersphere. I can’t wait to prove them all wrong. This team is flat out dominating. 

There's people that still doubt the Patriots of the last 20 years..

Addendum to my post above.  The following play was from 2001.  Not a penalty.  This would be an immediate no brainer 15 yard penalty and a borderline ejection today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4OTH0pddv4&ab_channel=lteru

This is a bunch of clips produced by the league itself and spliced together by someone.  Almost none of this was illegal.  BTW, look behind B-Dawk at 2:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdcifUHmxLY&ab_channel=BucsArchivewithLiamMitchell

I don't share these things because I think the league should go back to this because that isn't going to happen.  I show this to those of you who are too young to remember so you have proper respect for offensive players who played in this era and before and didn't put up the video game stats players are putting up today.  The NFL is a VERY different place now and players and styles that are very successful now would have had a much different experience back then.  There is a REASON QBs didn't run around.  There is a REASON why there weren't smurfy little slot receivers.  There is a REASON why tight tends didn't maraud over the middle of the field all day long.  It's not because nobody thought of doing it, it's because you would get killed.  You had two safeties. Your free safety was your ballhawk most of the time and your strong safety was an absolute assassin. Their literal job was to kill people coming across the middle of the field and make them not come there anymore. Every team had one and they all did that, some better than others.  The Bills' assassin was Leonard Smith and he would knock a fool out ZFG.

This is Chuck Cecil. Chuck Cecil was crazy. Chuck Cecil did stuff like this all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKxeo7ZUMzo&ab_channel=SavageBrickArchive

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1