Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Agreed. We stop them 2-3 times and our offense gets up 2 TDs, they’ll have no choice but to abandon the run

I never understood this thinking. The Pats* were crushing us with the run game in the first half of the second game, and when they fell behind they went to Cam Newton and his habit of throwing the ball into the ground. So they were three and out after that, allowing the Bills to run the score up. So say you're down 14 points but running the ball well. Keep running it! At least you'll stop digging the hole. And you might score. I can see going to the pass in the fourth quarter, but teams abandon an effective run game in the first or second quarter!

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Man, the Colts are really playing up the "no one believes in us" thing.  

People are favoring the Bills, for obvious reasons. I haven't seen anyone dismiss their chances.  About half of the pundits I've seen think they can keep it close and have at least a chance at the end.

Tough 1st round match-up after 13-3, but it's a tough year in the AFC in general.  The pressure is definitely on the Bills after last year; it almost feels like our 2nd Super Bowl, where we had more to prove because we lost the 1st.  I've seen a lot of people bring up our "meltdown" from last year and how we have to prove we can win in the playoffs.  The Colts are just playing w/ house money.

I’ve never understood this “playing with house money”. Every team is one and done in the playoffs and each team will be playing to win. The term “playing with house money” means you can afford to lose, which is definitely not the case here.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

People are favoring the Bills, for obvious reasons. I haven't seen anyone dismiss their chances.  About half of the pundits I've seen think they can keep it close and have at least a chance at the end.

Tough 1st round match-up after 13-3, but it's a tough year in the AFC in general.  The pressure is definitely on the Bills after last year; it almost feels like our 2nd Super Bowl, where we had more to prove because we lost the 1st.  I've seen a lot of people bring up our "meltdown" from last year and how we have to prove we can win in the playoffs.  The Colts are just playing w/ house money.

I think there are valid reasons why the media is not believing the colts will win. They can play it up but internally they expect to win, so not playing with house money. Both teams will be very disappointed if they lose.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

I’ve never understood this “playing with house money”. Every team is one and done in the playoffs and each team will be playing to win. The term “playing with house money” means you can afford to lose, which is definitely not the case here.

That is true.  Reich and a few players have all come out and said that there is "no pressure" on them, but once the game starts, you probably don't belong in the NFL if you don't feel the stakes of a playoff game where you either win or you're out.

12 minutes ago, Success said:

Underdogs play that card.  We'd do the same.  This game strongly favors the Bills and most everyone is predicting the Bills.

The Bills have over performed this year.  And we're peaking at the right time.  The Colts on the other hand have probably underperformed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So Chris Simms in his Unbuttoned segment on the Bills said that early on, Daboll was calling plays that were great man-beaters or zone-beaters.  The Dolphins were showing man at the line, then shifting to zone coverage after the snap and the play didn't work as well.  Simms said after the 1Q, they used plays that were maybe not as "killer" against one of the other, but that could be executed well against man or zone.

Do you know which interview?  So many now...

I believe it was Allen's post game interview. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think there are valid reasons why the media is not believing the colts will win. They can play it up but internally they expect to win, so not playing with house money. 

The Colts could be the Bears or the WFT. Those spreads are up there and while most are saying the Colts could win, nobody's given either of these a chance.

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think there are valid reasons why the media is not believing the colts will win. They can play it up but internally they expect to win, so not playing with house money. Both teams will be very disappointed if they lose.

Agree. I know sometimes when you're coming in as the underdog it seems to make teams play better at times, the Bills on numerous occasions last year and this year. I do feel pretty confident though and believe this Bills team is in it to win it this time around.

I do however think that this game will be a little closer than some may think. Of course I hope the Bills can pull away with a big lead. That would be great and it's entirely possible. You just really never know what to expect come playoff time though.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

I’m becoming increasingly worried for this game for the following reasons:

1) Phil Rivers is 17 year veteran,  he’s been here before,  won’t be phased by the moment. He’ll have that offense prepared for whatever we throw at them.

2) All the pressure is on us to win,  how will we handle it?  We know JA is a stud, but how will he handle the pressure of this game if things get tight?  Going back to last years debacle in the playoffs,  we were crushing Houston then Houston woke up and got things going and we folded like a cheap suit.   It’s been a awhile since this team has faced any adversity.  If we struggle early or get behind will the team play tight?

The most important aspect of the game imo.  It’ll be this way for the next 12+ years. Will Josh succumb to the pressure or will he stand tall and persevere?  

There is no fiber in my being that believes the Bills season is over at 1600 on Saturday.  None.  Of course the Colts will fight to the end.  That's what is expected.  I expect some anxious moments in the game.   Taylor had a decent year.  He's at 5.0 average for the season.  He played well last week against a bad run defense.  But take away that last game and he looks rather average.  He's averaging 73 yards a game WITH that 253 yard outlier.  Are we giving him too much credit?

after the game score, the stats are: attempts, yards, average/rush, TDs.  I've bolded and separated his weekly totals.  

Sun 1/3 vs JAX W  28-14 30    253    8.4 2

Sun 12/27 @PIT L 28-24 18    74    4.12 1

Sun 12/20 vs  HOU W 27-20 16    83    5.2 1

Sun 12/13 @ LV W 44-27 20    150    7.5 2

Sun 12/6 @ HOU W 26-20 13    91    7.00 2

Sun 11/22 vs GB W 34-31 OT 22    90    4.10 1

Thu 11/12 @ TEN 34-17 7    12    1.7 0

Sun 11/8 vs BAL L 24-10 6    27    4.5 1

Sun 11/1 @ DET W 41-21 11    22    2.0 0

Sun 10/18 vs CIN W 31-27 12    60    5.0 0

Sun 10/11 @ CLE L 32-23 12    57    4.8 1

Sun 10/4 @ CHI W 19-11 17    68    4.0 0

Sun 9/27 vs NYJ W 36-7 13    59    4.5 1

Sun 9/20 vs MIN W 28-11 26    101    3.9

Sun 9/13 @ JAX L 27-20 9    22    2.4 0 

56 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

https://youtu.be/mraBfrHIPDU

i didnt think it deserved its own thread but here is Nick Wrights take on tomorrow's game.

What a loser. Id feel different if he qouted accurate stats, comparisons, or viable film study...he does not....same old line, brings up Allen's catastrophic 3 game slump, cherry picks deceptive passer rating stats, just lame.

Edited by RichRiderBills

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The most important aspect of the game imo.  It’ll be this way for the next 12+ years. Will Josh succumb to the pressure or will he stand tall and persevere?  

Speaking for myself I think Josh is ready to go and has been waiting for this moment to get back to the playoffs since that heart breaking loss to Texans. I think he is going be ready to play lights out.

Hopefully he won't make any bad decisions from being too pumped up, but I for one thin he is absolutely ready to take this thing by the horns. I don't know if it will be this year (I hope obviously) but, at some point in the near future this kid and the Bills ARE going to win a championship. My 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Speaking for myself I think Josh is ready to go and has been waiting for this moment to get back to the playoffs since that heart breaking loss to Texans. I think he is going be ready to play lights out.

Hopefully he won't make any bad decisions from being too pumped up, but I for one thin he is absolutely ready to take this thing by the horns. I don't know if it will be this year (I hope obviously) but, at some point in the near future this kid and the Bills ARE going to win a championship. My 2 cents.

Agreed.  Now we just have to see him do it

11 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I wouldn’t even be mad if we beat the colts and lost in the divisional round. I’d be disappointed sure but not angry 

this team is young and Allen is learning. Winning playoff games is the toughest thing to do as a QB in this league, go ask Manning and Brees. Only thing Allen needs right now is his 1st playoff win to get over that hump. 

1 hour ago, TylerD said:

The main thing is the pressure....... I have yet to see anyone in the world other than homer Colts fans like me say we will win lol, and even then we are not expecting a win... just a prayer.... With that said, pressure can do crazy things. It's no mystery as to why Peyton Manning and the Colts won their first ever Super Bowl as a wild card. After dominating the 2005 season, and being one and done to the Steelers, nobody in the right mind thought the Colts would go to the Super Bowl the year after as a wild card team and having to get through the Patriots. I do expect Indy to keep this close at least for 3 quarters as they have with all teams this year, but the 4th quarter is the Colts kryptonite this year and that is where Buffalo may pull away.

Buffalo is rolling into the playoffs right now, and Allen looks like the hottest qb in the league... Pressure or not, I think the Bills will come to play. Colts will have to score early and often to keep up in this one. I just can't see the Bills laying an egg in this one, especially with 2 years of playoff experience behind them.

I think it will be only one quarter that the game will be close. The main reason is I think Daboll will ratchet down the aggressive play calling in the first quarter to get Josh in a good rhythm in an attempt keep "hero" Josh in check. Between the fans and a chance for playoff redemption after last year Josh is going to be amped up.

In my opinion Josh pushed too hard early against the Steelers by trying to win the game in the first quarter. That caused Daboll to change the play calling to calm Josh down so I think he heads it off tomorrow and just has a lot of runs and short throws scripted to start the game. Once Josh is in a groove we'll be looking to attack the entire field.

Just now, Penfield45 said:

I wouldn’t even be mad if we beat the colts and lost in the divisional round. I’d be disappointed sure but not angry 

this team is young and Allen is learning. Winning playoff games is the toughest thing to do as a QB in this league, go ask Manning and Brees. Only thing Allen needs right now is his 1st playoff win to get over that hump. 

I agree and if he had any jitters it was last years playoff game if he even had any then. I just think he is as ready as you can possibly be and hoping to see something really special for the Bills and fans coming up tomorrow and for the next 10 plus years hopefully.