Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That simply begs the question why did early down throws shift from ineffective to effective?

The issue they had initially was pass protection. I think the main fix was adjusting their blocking scheme. They probably adjusted their routes too, but Allen actually completed his first 3 or 4 passes without issue. WRs weren't having trouble getting open. However, Miami brought effective pressure at opportune times on those first few drives.

Someone shared posts from an analyst who broke down the protection adjustments. I'm not sure where to find it now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The issue they had initially was pass protection. I think the main fix was adjusting their blocking scheme. They probably adjusted their routes too, but Allen actually completed his first 3 or 4 passes without issue. WRs weren't having trouble getting open. However, Miami brought effective pressure at opportune times on those first few drives.

Someone shared posts from an analyst who broke down the protection adjustments. I'm not sure where to find it now.

I haven’t seen that and would like to

Unpopular opinion: I actually don't like the protection design on the play above ^^^. Relying so heavily on a very small WR and a rookie RB to hold blocks against blitzers...that ain't gonna work most times, and it kind of reminds of a play earlier in the season where a WR in motion, I want to say Gabriel Davis, was supposed to block...maybe Joey Bosa?...on a play. It did not exactly work out. The defenders on such plays ARE accounted for, technically, but...

• Like (+1) 2

Good article here on how the Colts might defend Josh. Basically, they’ve had success against Watson and Mahomes with some more exotic blitzes. I hope we are ready for it. The blitzes in the video in the article of Watson are pretty great. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/7/22217906/film-room-detailing-how-the-colts-need-to-attack-josh-allen-in-the-passing-game-this-weekend

Edited by Miyagi-Do Karate
  • Like (+1) 3

closer I get to this game the more I feel like it will be a low scoring very close game. 

Colts have a top defense and run the ball really well and are very well coached. The dline has to have the best game of the season, the colts have the best oline in the NFL. 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Oh, it was Dan Orlovsky on Twitter...

He ends it by saying "this is the play that proves he is ready to be a head coach", but I don't get that sentiment. Calling plays and designing schemes is the job of a coordinator, not a head coach. So what he really means is that this play shows that Daboll is good at his current job.

Being a head coach has much less to do with schemes and play calling. Not saying Daboll isn't ready to be a head coach, but this play call doesn't have anything to do with that.

27 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

closer I get to this game the more I feel like it will be a low scoring very close game. 

Colts have a top defense and run the ball really well and are very well coached. The dline has to have the best game of the season, the colts have the best oline in the NFL. 

The Colts DON'T have a top defense. They've been pretty average lately. Early in the year they did, but now they don't. They've been on the opposite trajectory as the Bills defense.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Good article here on how the Colts might defend Josh. Basically, they’ve had success against Watson and Mahomes with some more exotic blitzes. I hope we are ready for it. The blitzes in the video in the article of Watson are pretty great. 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/1/7/22217906/film-room-detailing-how-the-colts-need-to-attack-josh-allen-in-the-passing-game-this-weekend

This is why finishing vs the 49ers, Steelers, Pats, and Dolphins was the perfect tune up for the playoffs and why I was glad the O got to see a fully healthy Miami Defense.  

We're ready.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Unpopular opinion: I actually don't like the protection design on the play above ^^^. Relying so heavily on a very small WR and a rookie RB to hold blocks against blitzers...that ain't gonna work most times, and it kind of reminds of a play earlier in the season where a WR in motion, I want to say Gabriel Davis, was supposed to block...maybe Joey Bosa?...on a play. It did not exactly work out. The defenders on such plays ARE accounted for, technically, but...

I agree and it just proves Daboll doesn't deserve a head coaching job.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/5/2021 at 5:14 AM, nucci said:

that long flight from Indy to Buffalo is a killer. I don't see how the Colts will be ready to play. 

And now we find this out?

The earth is spinning faster than it has in 50 years...

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-earth-is-spinning-faster-than-it-has-in-50-years

Have we accounted for this?

Do the Colts even know?

Does it favor a short passing game?

I tell ya fellas, if it's not one thing it's another.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree the man on man on man aspect is not Ideal.  Buffalo ran zone read slant alot in the first half.  Where its impressive is Dabolls understanding of the defense he is facing.  0 blitz the ball has to come out on the first hitch.  The defense is designed to create an extra bltizer.  The coverage guys expect this.  Jones had inside leverage and was playing to stop the slant.  Mckenzie didnt need to stone wall the saftey just slow him down for Allen to drop it over the top.  No saying how the defense plays 2 wr on the same side they probably dont call that bltiz with another te in the game.  Daboll had a read on what the defense would do to stop a staple play and had a play to beat it for a TD.  Pretty good stuff.  

I get to watch the game live tomorrow :)

I switched shifts with guy at work who is more of a hockey fan than a football fan :)

He knows how much the Bills and this game means to me :)

What a great guy :)

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Like A Mofo said:

I like the crew.

Ian is one of the best in the biz and Charles is a really solid analyst.

Ian is a really good one and was on WGR recently -  I think the link should work:

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/01-05-ian-eagle-from-nfl-on-cbs-353887959

Seems like Ian will do a great job - but truth be told I typically listen to pregame on the radio and then keep it on for the Buffalo Bills radio play by play coverage (Murph/Tasker and Sal Capaccio) and have the TV on for video only - the TV guys aren't as in tune with the Bills.  

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Oh, it was Dan Orlovsky on Twitter...

This is a play where Josh recognized what was going on, called the audible "Balboa", and proceeded to point out to McKenzie where he wanted him to go. Because of his audible the back flipped to his right side as well. I'm sure this was something they had practiced, but Josh still made the check and aligned the protections himself. This wasn't the original play call. I understand Daboll deserves credit for the offense, but Josh deserves credit for identifying what he is seeing on the field with precision, adjusting everyone at the LOS, and executing the play to perfection. 

• Like (+1) 6

33 minutes ago, H2o said:

This is a play where Josh recognized what was going on, called the audible "Balboa", and proceeded to point out to McKenzie where he wanted him to go. Because of his audible the back flipped to his right side as well. I'm sure this was something they had practiced, but Josh still made the check and aligned the protections himself. This wasn't the original play call. I understand Daboll deserves credit for the offense, but Josh deserves credit for identifying what he is seeing on the field with precision, adjusting everyone at the LOS, and executing the play to perfection. 

Right.  I’m sure the play is designed whereby Josh has to recognize the pressure and do certain things.  To me, this is a perfect example of the synergy between Daboll and Allen, and reflects how far Josh has come in terms of reading defenses and getting his guys into the right play.

The analysis is over-the-top regarding Daboll’s HC qualifications.  It’s a really good play design and a great read by the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

He ends it by saying "this is the play that proves he is ready to be a head coach", but I don't get that sentiment. Calling plays and designing schemes is the job of a coordinator, not a head coach. So what he really means is that this play shows that Daboll is good at his current job.

Yeah, I don't get that part either.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Yeah, its up to the QB to make the adjustment at the line. I assume they had a sideline discussion about what was going on those first few drives.