Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

he wont forget, but what resources can he use to stop Smoke if his #1 is on Diggs and they shadow him? Its really a pick your poison situation for him.  112 other coaches tried and werent very successful at stopping this offense.  Take one thing away and another will burn you.  

If he keeps it cover 2, then Diggs lights it up, so does Knox and our RBs......

Blitz and Allen and the WRS destroy them....

I believe the only way the colts win is by a STRING of flukey plays

I see them trying to control the ball and clock, thats where our D needs to do its job.

Not an easy task for a good coach and a good team.

The entire key to me is the Colts OL vs the Buffalo Bills DL: If the Colts OL controls the LOS and pushes us around and controls the clock and wears us down this might be a tough Saturday afternoon. Just keep Taylor in check and make Rivers beat the Bills.

As for the offense, give me much of the same we have seen all year, no reason to change from what is working. Turnovers are key, especially in 2nd half

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, JV14 said:

I'd like to see Daboll call a hook & lateral.  McKenzie in motion, quick 7 yard pass to Diggs, flip it to Isaiah and he's off and running.

I think the formula that has worked effectively over the last couple of months is getting 7-8 yards on first down throws.  Scoring drives of 8-10 plays has a cumulative effect of slowing down the pass rush.  Indy fans have seen it repeated over and over in the last few games.  Fast starts, slow finishes.  The occasional Bills handoff game is only necessary to keep them biting on the RPOs.  This is not a running team.  It only becomes a running team when the other team's defense is out of gas.  As to the Bills stopping the run, I think this is where you are going to see the benefit of 8 healthy rotational DLinemen and three healthy LBs.  I would imagine Indy's front four is tired.  Buckner is dinged.  Have them chase Josh around a bit and wear them down.   Is it Saturday yet?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We are going up against HC Frank Reich.  He's not going to forget about Smoke, especially since he just left 4 calling cards for 72 yds and a touch last weekend.

The main thing is, especially if Bease can go, it's a pretty tall task to cover 3 WR like that for any length of time. 

Especially the way Allen spreads the ball around.

If I were a DC I might toy with the idea of using a lot of resources to take Diggs away as he is Allen's favorite target, but I don't see the DB skills on the Colts side to effectively do that.

Also, Allen will just hit the open man.

They will look at how the Titans and KC played us. Their best defense and chance to keep things close is to slow the game down and keep Allen on the sideline.

They are going to try to ram Taylor down our throats and use short passes and RAC to inch down the field and keep our offense cooling their heels.

Allen was dinged and struggled earlier this year solving zone defenses. I don't think the way those teams played him then will be as effective this time around.

8 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Especially the way Allen spreads the ball around.

If I were a DC I might toy with the idea of using a lot of resources to take Diggs away as he is Allen's favorite target, but I don't see the DB skills on the Colts side to effectively do that.

Also, Allen will just hit the open man.

They will look at how the Titans and KC played us. Their best defense and chance to keep things close is to slow the game down and keep Allen on the sideline.

They are going to try to ram Taylor down our throats and use short passes and RAC to inch down the field and keep our offense cooling their heels.

Allen was dinged and struggled earlier this year solving zone defenses. I don't think the way those teams played him then will be as effective this time around.

I don’t believe the titans game plan will work anymore.

the one concern I have is whether this will be similar to the Steelers game. People forget that the Steelers really bottled up and confused Josh in the first half.  We made some great adjustments. But the concern I have is that Pittsburgh was able to pressure with mostly 4 or 5, and then do enough confusing things to really shut us down. 

The flip side to that is that it seems the Bills have really been able to adjust quickly to what defenses throw at them. Just look last week even— Miami came out strong. Then, in 2 drives, the Bills had them solved. 

21 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

The entire key to me is the Colts OL vs the Buffalo Bills DL: If the Colts OL controls the LOS and pushes us around and controls the clock and wears us down this might be a tough Saturday afternoon. Just keep Taylor in check and make Rivers beat the Bills.

As for the offense, give me much of the same we have seen all year, no reason to change from what is working. Turnovers are key, especially in 2nd half

Agreed.  I think back to the CFP semi-final game where Ohio State’s OL dominated the Clemson DL.  That was really the story of the game.  Our DL can’t let that happen Saturday.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I have a feeling the Bills score at will in this game.  I think it's over by halftime

Every time I picture the game I see the same thing. I don't know if anyone can stop this offense right now and you know Daboll will have a few wrinkles built in for the playoffs. And we haven't really used Allen as a weapon in the rush game this year, something tells me that will change in the playoffs and give defenses one more thing to look out for. A small part of me worries that Allen will suddenly have a bad game, feels like he's due for one. But I'm not especially concerned about it. The way this offense has played over the last month they are Super Bowl caliber.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Every time I picture the game I see the same thing. I don't know if anyone can stop this offense right now and you know Daboll will have a few wrinkles built in for the playoffs. And we haven't really used Allen as a weapon in the rush game this year, something tells me that will change in the playoffs and give defenses one more thing to look out for. A small part of me worries that Allen will suddenly have a bad game, feels like he's due for one. But I'm not especially concerned about it. The way this offense has played over the last month they are Super Bowl caliber.

Idk what it is but I also have a lot of negative thoughts too.

I think about Baltimore last year flying into the postseason and coming up lame.

Maybe its our history as to why I haven't truly accepted this is a top team. The 'always looking for the other shoe to drop' mentality as a fan takes a long time to break.

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

the one concern I have is whether this will be similar to the Steelers game. People forget that the Steelers really bottled up and confused Josh in the first half.  We made some great adjustments. But the concern I have is that Pittsburgh was able to pressure with mostly 4 or 5, and then do enough confusing things to really shut us down. 

The flip side to that is that it seems the Bills have really been able to adjust quickly to what defenses throw at them. Just look last week even— Miami came out strong. Then, in 2 drives, the Bills had them solved. 

Here is my take from the Miami game.  Buffalo was ineffective on early down throws.  That put them in 3rd and long and Miami came out with their amoeba defense.  It caused so much confusion on the line calls that it even forced a Buffalo time out called from the sidelines.  Eventually, the first down passes started to connect and the 2nd and 3rd downs were more make-able.  That is when I thought the game changed.  I'm not so sure Buffalo adjusted to Miami as much as they started getting completions.  Thoughts?

35 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Bills did the same thing to Watson in first half of the playoff game last year. Eventually though, players make plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

I like the crew.

Ian is one of the best in the biz and Charles is a really solid analyst.

they’re not bad.  I actually really like Kevin Harlan, who called the game last Sunday, he has a good annoucer voice (it’s similar to Marv and Kenny Albert)

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I agree that the same approach would not have the same success. The Steelers have a much better secondary than the Colts IMO.

They gambled bringing 5-6 guys or the house at Allen, but he was not intimidated and started to figure out where to go with the ball.

The Steelers also have a great NT who was crushing the pocket that the Bills finally decided to double team as Morse was getting forklifted into Allen and was hurt on a series, or just needed a brace adjusted.

Not sure, as he did come back in.

Edited by WideNine

26 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

they’re not bad.  I actually really like Kevin Harlan, who called the game last Sunday, he has a good annoucer voice (it’s similar to Marv and Kenny Albert)

Harlan is awesome.  His call of the streaker a few years ago is a classic.

57 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Idk what it is but I also have a lot of negative thoughts too.

I think about Baltimore last year flying into the postseason and coming up lame.

Maybe its our history as to why I haven't truly accepted this is a top team. The 'always looking for the other shoe to drop' mentality as a fan takes a long time to break.

BBFS is a tough thing to overcome after 20 years.  You can do it.  Be strong.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wjag said:

I think the formula that has worked effectively over the last couple of months is getting 7-8 yards on first down throws.  Scoring drives of 8-10 plays has a cumulative effect of slowing down the pass rush.  Indy fans have seen it repeated over and over in the last few games.  Fast starts, slow finishes.  The occasional Bills handoff game is only necessary to keep them biting on the RPOs.  This is not a running team.  It only becomes a running team when the other team's defense is out of gas.  As to the Bills stopping the run, I think this is where you are going to see the benefit of 8 healthy rotational DLinemen and three healthy LBs.  I would imagine Indy's front four is tired.  Buckner is dinged.  Have them chase Josh around a bit and wear them down.   Is it Saturday yet?

Josh foams at the mouth on 2nd down and 2 yds to go :)