Round 1 Playoff: Colts at Bills - Sat. 1/9 1:05pm

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, The BLUES Brothers said:

Your professional demeanor is what helps make sports fun - we can both love our teams without trying to start a brawl with the opponents fans.  Indy is a cool area - we had a blast attending the Indianapolis 500 - restaurants are great.  Was happy for Reich when he got the Coach's nod over the patriots coach that bailed - "just" 28 years ago  I was in the crowd at The Comeback game and later met F R at a charity golf tournament - and he was genuinely as nice as he always seemed...

Completely agreed!!!! And fans can have debates but still be professional about it!! I have never been to Indy but I want to one day. My fiancée goes there every year because she does dog sports, and they have a huge flyball tournament there every year. We wanted to go this year, but with Covid didn’t get the chance. I’m hoping next year we can go!! I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. I have seen many Edmonton Oilers games but have yet to see a colts game live haha. I did go to Seattle a few years back and saw them play Denver. Was a hell of a game and got to see Peyton!

34 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

You are fan of Oilers with Frank Reich as Head Coach?  🤣

I am a big Frank Reich fan (never cheered him to start over Jimbo) but the Houston Oilers was team Reich lead NFL's most famous comeback in.

Lmao definitely meant edmonton Oilers in hockey hahahaha. 

• Like (+1) 3

I have all the respect in the world for the Reich, Rivers,  and the Colts running game. But I just don't see them or anyone else throwing a D look at Allen and Co. that they haven't shredded recently. Man schemes, zone schemes, and any combination have been handled with relative ease over the last month and half against some of the better defenses in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Knicks and Pirates? Being a Bills fan has been a day at the beach in comparison. 

The Pirates is a rare combo with the Bills... it's because when I was young I was into baseball only and we lived in Washington, PA... and my grandparents lived in Bradenton where the Pirates held spring training every year and still do. I've been a Pirates fan ever since I was little in the late 70s. So unlike most Bills fans who are Yankees or Indians fans, I'm Pirates. I get the #!#@ing Steelers fans who see my Pirates stuff and automatically assume I'm a Steelers fan. It's terrible LOL 

In the early 90s, I had it all... but now I have hardly anything left pro wise... except for this one beautiful, magical team I love :) 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The Pirates is a rare combo with the Bills... it's because when I was young I was into baseball only and we lived in Washington, PA... and my grandparents lived in Bradenton where the Pirates held spring training every year and still do. I've been a Pirates fan ever since I was little in the late 70s. So unlike most Bills fans who are Yankees or Indians fans, I'm Pirates. I get the #!#@ing Steelers fans who see my Pirates stuff and automatically assume I'm a Steelers fan. It's terrible LOL 

In the early 90s, I had it all... but now I have hardly anything left pro wise... except for this one beautiful, magical team I love :) 

Pirates were an easy team to root for back in the day with Willie Stargell, Manny Sanguillen,  and the whole "We Are Family" vibe going on. 

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Pirates were an easy team to root for back in the day with Willie Stargell, Manny Sanguillen,  and the whole "We Are Family" vibe going on. 

I was 5 years old... I had no idea who they were, just that it was the Pirates. As I got older I of course knew exactly who the players were and I was baseball card crazy also. Of course by that time the old team fell apart and a new one came up with Van Slyke and Drabek and Jim Leyland... I thought Leyland was a great manager!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I was 5 years old... I had no idea who they were, just that it was the Pirates. As I got older I of course knew exactly who the players were and I was baseball card crazy also. Of course by that time the old team fell apart and a new one came up with Van Slyke and Drabek and Jim Leyland... I thought Leyland was a great manager!

Hearing those names are an awesome blast from the past.

Bills, Pirates, Penguins fan here...yeah super weird combo.  Local Pitt kid who had ties to the Kelly family, hence Bills fan.

Early 90s were certainly awesome, as a kid growing up and those 3 teams were killing it.  

Pens: slippery rock joe, super Mario, jagr, Francis, stevens, Barasso, etc etc...stacked teams

Pirates: Bobby Bo, Andy Van Slyke (still have the pirates 3 rivers announcer in my head saying his name), Barry (before juicing)...that was a stacked outfield, to go with great pitching and defense

Fun times going down memory lane 😁.  Cant say I envision the Pirates ever returning to glory under Nutting.

Then of course most kids (sorry about Knicks 😁) were bandwagon Bulls fans too, MJ Scottie BJ armstrong etc.  

Good luck to your Buckeyes!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Hearing those names are an awesome blast from the past.

Bills, Pirates, Penguins fan here...yeah super weird combo.  Local Pitt kid who had ties to the Kelly family, hence Bills fan.

Early 90s were certainly awesome, as a kid growing up and those 3 teams were killing it.  

Pens: slippery rock joe, super Mario, jagr, Francis, stevens, Barasso, etc etc...stacked teams

Pirates: Bobby Bo, Andy Van Slyke (still have the pirates 3 rivers announcer in my head saying his name), Barry (before juicing)...that was a stacked outfield, to go with great pitching and defense

Fun times going down memory lane 😁.  Cant say I envision the Pirates ever returning to glory under Nutting.

Then of course most kids (sorry about Knicks 😁) were bandwagon Bulls fans too, MJ Scottie BJ armstrong etc.  

Good luck to your Buckeyes!

Thanks, appreciate it!!!

So the hockey part is TOUGH for me considering that my cousin played for the Canadiens and if you're French Canadian then you really can't hate the Habs. I remember listening to Sabres games on the radio on a crackly AM station and despite the bloodline you couldn't really root for the Bills without the Sabres... and I mean with Patty L, Mogilny, Hawerchuk (RIP) and Audette it was great times AND THEN you bring in Hasek after that and it just was lit.

The last year my father was on this Earth we went to a Sabres/Hurricanes game together... and I still have the photos, the ticket, the paper after. It was the only game he and I ever went to together as father and son. I never knew why he didn't like sports at all until I found out his twin brother, a football star in high school, died months after graduation because of a tumor he had which caused him blackouts. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Thanks, appreciate it!!!

So the hockey part is TOUGH for me considering that my cousin played for the Canadiens and if you're French Canadian then you really can't hate the Habs. I remember listening to Sabres games on the radio on a crackly AM station and despite the bloodline you couldn't really root for the Bills without the Sabres... and I mean with Patty L, Mogilny, Hawerchuk (RIP) and Audette it was great times AND THEN you bring in Hasek after that and it just was lit.

The last year my father was on this Earth we went to a Sabres/Hurricanes game together... and I still have the photos, the ticket, the paper after. It was the only game he and I ever went to together as father and son. I never knew why he didn't like sports at all until I found out his twin brother, a football star in high school, died months after graduation because of a tumor he had which caused him blackouts. 

Sorry to hear about your father, and uncles condition.

Haha, I remember the old school AM radio...trying to find Bills games, I was super pumped anytime Bills had a primeitme or national game back then.

Go Bills!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

Really want to see a better showing from McD and his defense this time

Last year vs the Texans the defense completely fell apart 

I'll call my shot now. If the Colts only score 19 points in regulation like Houston did, the Bills are winning by 14+ points.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Sorry to hear about your father, and uncles condition.

Haha, I remember the old school AM radio...trying to find Bills games, I was super pumped anytime Bills had a primeitme or national game back then.

Go Bills!

Yeah, not having Van Miller or Paul Maguire around the Bills like the old days is odd and sad also... I just wish they were still involved. I wonder what Paul Maguire thinks about this team?

I was really fortunate to meet Ralph twice in my life... the second time was coming onto the concourse after the Bills beat the Jets at Rich in 1999. He was lively and really enjoyed the win and acted just like another fan!

Bumped into Marv Levy too on a sidewalk in Chicago in 1999 as well... it was all total luck and amazing!

I'm just ready to win it all... what could be better after such a terrible year?

• Like (+1) 1

Regarding Colts match-up, few things stood out to me while watching their games this season:

1. OL: even with some big injuries, they have a really good.group up front.  They are athletic and solid at power/pull plays in space

2. Rbs: this might be the most underrated duo in the league, imo, they are top 5.  Taylor is a strong/fast back, Hines is shifty and quick as heck (reminds me of Sproles type in that offense)

3. passing attack: rhey can be very horizontal, bubble screens/tunnel screens, but also execute crossing patterns very well.

What to attack when Bills on defense:

1. Rivers is so dangerous reading defenses,  but think we need to continue blitzing up the middle

2. Jam the Wrs: mix up the cover 2, bc we need our corners to support the quick check downs and not rely on Edmunds (or even Milano) covering Hines. 

3. Steelers switched their defense to play a "robber" ( Minkah free.roam as a intermediate middle zone) i. the 2md half and shut down the screen/Wr drags.

4. Make Rivers beat us over the top

5. I dont mind seeing Norman, more physical corner outside this week.  That or Wallace better bring his a-game tackling.  It will be a physical match-up

6. Go for the ball on Taylor.  Dating back to his days at Wisconsin, JT has had fumble issues crop up...be big if we could force a key turnover.

Id study the heck out of what Pittsburgh did in the 2nd half (both offense and defense).  Ben flipped a switch being more aggressive downfield and drew some big pass interference penalties.  Houston, even though they dropped both games, had big success moving the ball on the Colts too.

• Thank you (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Rivers did put up quite the stat line when he came to Buffalo in 2018. The vontae Davis game. 

The Chargers had our number there for a few years dating back to that game where the power went out at the Ralph that we won IIRC. It was surreal to be there for that.