Corey Bojorquez 1st in Punt Avg 50.8

Thank God we are at the end of the drought. Remember when we thought the punter (Moorman) was the best player on the entire team? Sadly, for a few years he might have been. I am not trying to take anything away from Moorman but you know your roster is pitiful when about the only guy you cheer is the punter.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GymShorts84 said:

He had a 69 yard bomb and the commentators didn’t say a word about it. The returner back pedaled 20 yards and Kevin Harlan reported in in a monotone voice like it’s normal. 

The weird thing is that it's becoming almost normal to see 60 or even 70 yard punts.

I'll age myself here: I remember when an average in the low 40s was considered excellent. I don't know exactly why punting took such a quantum leap in the NFL in the last couple decades, but it did. We've got a good one, and he'll get better at angling kicks, etc., the longer he plays.

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Thank God we are at the end of the drought. Remember when we thought the punter (Moorman) was the best player on the entire team? Sadly, for a few years he might have been. I am not trying to take anything away from Moorman but you know your roster is pitiful when about the only guy you cheer is the punter.

There were a ton of Moorman jerseys in the stands back in those bad old days.

I like others have bagged on him incessantly. But today he showed me 2 directional kicks (coffin corner) that I don't think I've ever seen from him. That kick inside the 1 was ridiculous. Won't be calling him Bozo anymore! Great year Corey!

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Definitely a Bojo hater. I had a great hot take earlier in the year....in which I said we should have drafted Braden Mann and not Bass. So yeah.

I’d love to see more of those coffin corner kicks, definitely has a live leg and has been good. And it seems those holding issues are past him. 

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The weird thing is that it's becoming almost normal to see 60 or even 70 yard punts.

I'll age myself here: I remember when an average in the low 40s was considered excellent. I don't know exactly why punting took such a quantum leap in the NFL in the last couple decades, but it did. We've got a good one, and he'll get better at angling kicks, etc., the longer he plays.

It was Br*dy's suggestion to fill balls with Helium rather rather than air.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You Bojo haters....show yourself.

I'm still not a fan. Still too many touchbacks and too much inconsistency.  He's been good the last month or so after the Arizona shank. 

Interesting stat on him, his net average when kicking from between his own 1 and 20 is only 36.2 yards and he's averaging over 15 yards per return.  His gross is only an average of 49 in those situations so it's not that he's outkicking the coverage, it's that it's coming out low.  The times you need him to get it out long and high is when it's not happening.

He's also had to punt three times from the +side of the 50 and put two of them into the end zone. Pooch or short directional OOB inside the 20 and it doesn't happen. 

When in his comfortable range between our own 20 and midfield, where he can kick it without stress, and without distance control his punting has been good, net average 47, gross 52.1 and opponents are only averaging 5.5 ypr so it's coming out nice and high in those situations.

Maybe it will develop in time, he's a young guy.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm still not a fan. Still too many touchbacks and too much inconsistency.  He's been good the last month or so after the Arizona shank. 

Interesting stat on him, his net average when kicking from between his own 1 and 20 is only 36.2 yards and he's averaging over 15 yards per return.  His gross is only an average of 49 in those situations so it's not that he's outkicking the coverage, it's that it's coming out low.  The times you need him to get it out long and high is when it's not happening.

He's also had to punt three times from the +side of the 50 and put two of them into the end zone. Pooch or short directional OOB inside the 20 and it doesn't happen. 

When in his comfortable range between our own 20 and midfield, where he can kick it without stress, and without distance control his punting has been good, net average 47, gross 52.1 and opponents are only averaging 5.5 ypr so it's coming out nice and high in those situations.

Maybe it will develop in time, he's a young guy.

solid post. he's in my good graces now, but this is what had me so infuriated the first half of the season. im not sure if he's cleaned any of that up, if he's had less opportunities in those situations, or if we've just been playing so well that his mistakes aren't noticed. but i haven't noticed much the last month +. I hope it's because he's actually kicking better, but I haven't looked at the analytics. 

8 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

solid post. he's in my good graces now, but this is what had me so infuriated the first half of the season. im not sure if he's cleaned any of that up, if he's had less opportunities in those situations, or if we've just been playing so well that his mistakes aren't noticed. but i haven't noticed much the last month +. I hope it's because he's actually kicking better, but I haven't looked at the analytics. 

His net average was 11 yards higher in December than in November. Gross was up 5.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'll concede his touch punting still has much room for improvement, but I don't buy your above statement.  How many punts is that based upon?  10?  Probably less.  I assume that includes a 12 yarder which is going to lower his gross in those situations 4+ yds.  Likewise, you're talking even fewer returns, so you can't place much confidence in the conclusion of those stats.

Inside our own 40, I'd take him over just about any punter in the league.  On the opponents side of the 50, there's prolly 20+ punters I'd rather have.

1 hour ago, eSJayDee said:

I'll concede his touch punting still has much room for improvement, but I don't buy your above statement.  How many punts is that based upon?  10?  Probably less.  I assume that includes a 12 yarder which is going to lower his gross in those situations 4+ yds.  Likewise, you're talking even fewer returns, so you can't place much confidence in the conclusion of those stats.

Inside our own 40, I'd take him over just about any punter in the league.  On the opponents side of the 50, there's prolly 20+ punters I'd rather have.

6 punts from inside his own 20.  6 out of 41 punts total so 15ish percent.  The yards per return are unaffected by the shanked punt.  The other team is still averaging 15 yards a return in those situations.

Your criticism is fair though so I tried to find out exactly what happened on all 6 of those punts.

Punt from 9, 45 yards, 10 yard return. 35 net Score 17-13 Late 3rd quarter

Punt from 13, 57 yards, 40 yard return. 17 net. Score 7-7 1st quarter

Punt from 10, 71 yards, 0 yards on return, 71 net. Score 10-14 late 2nd quarter

Punt from 12, 40 yards, 15 yard return, 25 net. Score 14-6 mid 3rd quarter

Punt from 18, 12 yards, out of bounds, 12 net. Score 19-16 mid 3rd quarter

Punt from 20, 68 yards, 16 yard return, 52 net. Score 34-17 late 4th quarter

The one with the long return seemed to have good hang time but it was right in the middle of the field and the coverage was nowhere to be found.

Oddly he had 2 of his worst games in domes.  Vegas and Arizona. Worst as in he had multiple touchbacks in Vegas and the horrid shank in Arizona.

Edited by That's No Moon