Bills vs. Dophins Postgame Thread

14 minutes ago, Muppy said:

there was a recent Bills QB who played it safe and he wasn't a franchise QB either.....Tyrod Taylor. I think TT was encouraged to play it safe because the Bills never truly trusted his throwing ability....may this be the same with Tua? Time will tell....

I remember when Gailey faced the same problem in Buffalo with a Trenative QB and why keeping Fitz another season makes sense IMO. The old bearded gunslinger will show young grasshopper the way. ( or way out )

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I want to see him do some things first.  Things like pass block.  The immediate question though is does he have more on field value than Taiwan Jones right now who is basically a ST gunner and nothing else but he is ostensibly RB3 on gamedays.  I'm not sure.  Does he have more value than TJ Yeldon?  Again I'm not sure but Yeldon seems to have cemented himself into a doghouse of some sort

Actually I don't think TJ is in the doghouse. I think he is a just a super process guy and understands his role. If not they would have replaced him. He is the third sting RB that gets treated like a 3rd string QB. Also with Williams getting the call up today wouldn't normally happen in a non covid year so TJ would have played today if not for that. Hopefully the PS squad rules for this year stay in place. It really is a nice advantage to a team like the Bills who are fully loaded. Allows you to keep more specialized players on the roster.

One of the best non-plays I saw today was the play where Daboll had McKenzie coming across the formation then circling right again at the snap. The pre-snap motion and motion to the right were all window-dressing for a screen Daboll was setting up on the opposite side to the left, but the Dolphin defenders stayed home and did not follow the play motion or over-pursue.

Allen turned and saw nothing was there and calmly tossed it at Knox's feet then shared a laugh with Miami players like, "you got us on that one...".

A year ago Allen would have tried to force something out of that play that was not there, and may have created a negative play. Even if he did get some yardage out of those broken plays it lent a desperate tone to our offense and his play.

He has matured a lot knowing when the best play is to throw it away and that has a calming effect on the whole offense.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I think Fitzy should continue his career in the NFL as a coach and coaching up Tua would be a good start IMO.  

Myself personally, I was also underwhelmed, but more so because I have seen what Tua can do when he's on track with Alabama.

I think we both need to remember Tua is just a pup coming off a serious injury. Much like Allen in his 1st season, somewhat raw with much to learn.

It got linked pre-game but the concern some have raised is that Tua isn’t throwing the same way he threw pre-injury.  If he can work on his mechanics off-season and get the proper sequence foot-hip-torso-arm back, it would help him.  The question is whether he can, or whether the injury has changed how he throws permanently.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It got linked pre-game but the concern some have raised is that Tua isn’t throwing the same way he threw pre-injury.  If he can work on his mechanics off-season and get the proper sequence foot-hip-torso-arm back, it would help him.  The question is whether he can, or whether the injury has changed how he throws permanently.

Can he grow his testicles back too?

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a really good point. One I haven't given much thought. 

It helps explain why Tua seems a little off on throws that used to come naturally.

Interesting...

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

there was a recent Bills QB who played it safe and he wasn't a franchise QB either.....Tyrod Taylor. I think TT was encouraged to play it safe because the Bills never truly trusted his throwing ability....may this be the same with Tua? Time will tell....

I don't think either were encouraged to do this... I just think they are bad QBs.

9 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

Mods, permission please to allow BillsMafia to fund the 2 tattoos mentioned above?

See below.

9 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

If WGR/ the fans want a (x&o) show like that, then you'll need Sal on that show, and then Eric Woods and/or Tasker would be nice as well. 

However, if the Bills were playing bad for some reason, dont expect a show a hard hitting show. I just cant see that happening. Those guys have to many ties/respect to do that. (If that makes sense)

It doesn’t.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Tua reminded me of Trent Edwards.

What more can be said about Allen? Dudes just playing unreal at the moment. 

Seems unreasonable to anticipate/expect continued growth next season or even beyond. His 3 year progress has been well charted, but this season is the stuff of legends that rarely gets equaled, let alone improved upon.

6 hours ago, sonyab1974 said:

I ended up reading through halftime. Entertaining read. Intelligent posters there know Allen is incredible and are envious!👍

6 hours ago, Beast said:

The Fish started today as the leagues best team defensively in points allowed.

They finished at 7th.

That's what playing the Bills will do to a team.

This season will be long debated!

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

See below.

It doesn’t.

Seems unreasonable to anticipate/expect continued growth next season or even beyond. His 3 year progress has been well charted, but this season is the stuff of legends that rarely gets equaled, let alone improved upon.

I ended up reading through halftime. Entertaining read. Intelligent posters there know Allen is incredible and are envious!👍

This season will be long debated!

Hopefully for what still to come.. 👍

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Can I just say that I wish Pancho was still on Earth to witness this. I know he’s watching from above and seeing Josh wearing his Pancho’s Army jacket was priceless. Keep cheering from Heaven Pancho

i wish there was a way where they coulda put panchos hat or face or something on the jerseys 

9 hours ago, sonyab1974 said:

Yeah I know!!!! Very bad taste in your mouth!!!

We all can be upset, cranky, crazy, happy, and other emotions! :)

Oops!!!!! You should know better!!! 😭 Well, I know how you feel, I got banned in the Pats forum! ROFL!

Oh I don't care mind you. Fins fans are obnoxious

• Awesome! (+1) 1

A baker's dozen thoughts on the game, focused mainly on the players other than Allen and Diggs:

1.  Never ever, not even in the heydays of the K-Gun, do I recall a team that went for the jugular like the Bills of the 2020's. 

2.  Barkley throwing a bomb to Davis was just astounding especially considering the game was already won.  Buffalo has been trying to hit that route the last few games.  Davis made a heckuva grab.  107 yards receiving on 2 catches.  2!!!  Barkley balled out yesterday.

3.  Bojo with just an incredible punt.  Now that is how you execute a coffin corner.

4.  Antonio Williams went from who to TJ Yeldon who?  12-63, 2 TDs and a 5.3 yards per rush average, behind a back up line against a front line defense.  Just amazing.  The RB coach seemingly was the only one who knew.

5.  McKenzie came to play.  The only thing he didn't do well yesterday, and it's a nit, is he allowed Van Ginkel to catch him on a sweep for no gain.

6.  The Bills roasted, toasted and flat out embarrassed the highest paid secondary in the league.  Miami did get two INTs to their credit with Jones making an absolute beaut of one.

7.  In another example of how deep this team is, Mike Love gets elevated from the PS and makes a huge TFL to stall a Phins drive.

8.  In a game the Bills absolutely dominated from the second quarter on, the Bills lost the TOP 32-28. If you didn't watch the game and just read the box score, you would be hard pressed to understand how the Bills won by 30 points.  Consider these stats: Total offense: Buf 455 Mia 454!!; Passing: Mia 384 Buf 377; Rushing: Buf 78 Mia 74

9.  A ST, Def and Off TD in the same game.  As I live and breathe.  Finished the second straight week with just three penalties.

10.  Players deserving a shout out from yesterday:  Dean Marlowe, Taron Johnson, Dane Jackson, Tyler Matakevich, Siran Neal and Josh Norman.  Boy the JV defense came to show out.  3 INTs and a FR.

11.  Devante Parker made two beautiful sideline grabs against Levi.  The only Dolphin player that brought his A game yesterday.

12.  Game balls to McDermott, Dabol, Frasier and every single position coach on the Bills.  Brandon Beane, that is one impressive roster, from 1-63, you have assembled.

13.  The John Brown 32 yard TD was exquisite.  The route, the throw, the catch in stride -- the entire execution of the play was flawless.  Welcome back John!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I read the other day that some Doctor who reports such things, ( sorry don’t recall where I read it) he said his hip injury has hindered his throwing motion and it is cause for concern, to what degree I have no idea, but he described his hip fracture as being gruesome...

One would think after such an injury there would be a ruff edges/ scar tissue that could very well be restricting what was his normal hip rotation, it looks that way in which it appears that Tua needs to use his entire body to throw the ball. That and he is darn near petit as QBs go.  

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

I read the other day that some Doctor who reports such things, ( sorry don’t recall where I read it) he said his hip injury has hindered his throwing motion and it is cause for concern, to what degree I have no idea, but he described his hip fracture as being gruesome...

One would think after such an injury there would be a ruff edges/ scar tissue that could very well be restricting what was his normal hip rotation, it looks that way in which it appears that Tua needs to use his entire body to throw the ball. That and he is darn near petit as QBs go.  

As the Tua churns.  Reading the Dolphins board this week, you get the distinct impression that half the fan base wants another option at QB.   No fan base wants to go out like that yesterday.  That is going to lead a bad taste in their mouth right up until the number 3 pick in the NFL draft.  What they do with that pick will be heavily scrutinized.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is it exactly- right now you can see he is just a Torso/arm thrower - much like Josh his rookie year.

His mechanics are totally buggered up and that might be injury related, but he has little shot unless he fixes that.

Right now he was just like Big Ben against us - there was little threat downfield and even the throw along the sidelines were covered and forced great plays by Parker and led him out of bounds.

He needs to improve a lot, but it is also obvious what he needs to work on - the question becomes will he do it - or will he follow Bakers footsteps and miss out on the first offseason and chance at growth.