Baltimore Ravens are the worst match up imo

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Bills were looking plenty physical against the 49ers and Steelers.  IMO.

They did look physical in those two games. But I think they had in both games advantages that allowed them to leave large areas of the field relatively unprotected against the pass and to concentrate hard on the run. The Niners without Garoppolo are not much of an air threat, and the Steelers had had very little long-distance success in the weeks before our game. We looked like we were confident we didn't have to worry too much about Roethlisberger going long.

Do you think playing the Ravens you have a similar automatic scheme advantage in being able to not worry about the long ball? That's a real question, I don't know the answer, but my personal guess is that while Lamar's throwing isn't nearly where it needs to be, that he's still good enough that they need to protect long, and they need to worry about him attacking outside. 

Will the Bills be able to be so physical when they have to protect every yard of the field? My guess is no. If they play the Ravens and get a real early lead, it should be academic, as the Ravens don't seem able to come back well. But if the Ravens get ahead early, I would really worry.

11 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You’re talking about a Qb who has never won a playoff game though and can’t throw anywhere except the middle of the field.  

Pump the brakes guy.    

I was curious about your assertion that he can't throw anywhere but the middle of the field, so I went and checked.

Just not true.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/lamar-jackson/JAC323395/2020/all/qb-grid

Below average to the left flat, awful beyond twenty yards on the right side, but everywhere else he's at least average.

If anyone can do a good job shutting him down, it's McDermott. But how much effort will he put in to stop them throwing? My guess is that they will be worrying more about the run game.

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I was curious about your assertion that he can't throw anywhere but the middle of the field, so I went and checked.

Just not true.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/lamar-jackson/JAC323395/2020/all/qb-grid

Below average to the left flat, awful beyond twenty yards on the right side, but everywhere else he's at least average.

If anyone can do a good job shutting him down, it's McDermott. But how much effort will he put in to stop them throwing? My guess is that they will be worrying more about the run game.

You would think of all fan bases that Bills fans would try to avoid just believing the narratives that are put out against quarterbacks. I do believe that Josh is much better than Lamar and I think that Lamar can struggle if he needs to bring a team back, but the guy is a good quarterback 

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

For me its the colts im worried about. They are the most complete team. I am guessing we see the colts round 1. time will tell.

The Colts probably won't make the playoffs.  They're outside looking in and need one of the Dols, Browns, and Ravens to lose, and they're all favored.

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35486/for-sizzling-bills-two-teams-loom-as-tough-first-round-playoff-matchups

However, rank 12th in the NFL in rushing at 908 yards, averaging 6.1 yards per carry.

Baltimore is once again the league's top rushing team (177.8 yards per game), which presents a challenge for a vulnerable, albeit improved, Bills defense that has allowed 200 rushing yards twice this season.

Baltimore has been especially torrid during its current four-game win streak, averaging an NFL-leading 37 points per game over that span.

Considering their vast improvement on that side of the ball in 2020, the Bills are better-equipped for Baltimore this time around.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They did look physical in those two games. But I think they had in both games advantages that allowed them to leave large areas of the field relatively unprotected against the pass and to concentrate hard on the run. The Niners without Garoppolo are not much of an air threat, and the Steelers had had very little long-distance success in the weeks before our game. We looked like we were confident we didn't have to worry too much about Roethlisberger going long.

Do you think playing the Ravens you have a similar automatic scheme advantage in being able to not worry about the long ball? That's a real question, I don't know the answer, but my personal guess is that while Lamar's throwing isn't nearly where it needs to be, that he's still good enough that they need to protect long, and they need to worry about him attacking outside. 

Will the Bills be able to be so physical when they have to protect every yard of the field? My guess is no. If they play the Ravens and get a real early lead, it should be academic, as the Ravens don't seem able to come back well. But if the Ravens get ahead early, I would really worry.

Well...I thought the "book" on Jackson was still, smother the center of the field and don't worry too much about him throwing outside the hashes?  So that allows large areas of the field to be similarly unprotected. 

The physicality I'm talking about isn't related to what gets covered and how, it was just we attacked in a way I hadn't seen us do.  We were jamming receivers on the line, nailing people when we tackled, punching the ball, just a more physical style of play all over.

image.thumb.png.8770ddccd4ebcebdd2c56a1a5118063f.pngimage.thumb.png.1dc761f14abfc5538d3505e917e94997.png

Which one of these Jackson, and which one Mullens?

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35486/for-sizzling-bills-two-teams-loom-as-tough-first-round-playoff-matchups

However, rank 12th in the NFL in rushing at 908 yards, averaging 6.1 yards per carry.

Baltimore is once again the league's top rushing team (177.8 yards per game), which presents a challenge for a vulnerable, albeit improved, Bills defense that has allowed 200 rushing yards twice this season.

Baltimore has been especially torrid during its current four-game win streak, averaging an NFL-leading 37 points per game over that span.

Considering their vast improvement on that side of the ball in 2020, the Bills are better-equipped for Baltimore this time around.

Did the article include the info that their torrid play during the 4 game win streak included the Cowboys and the Jaguars who have the #30 and #31 defenses?

And that they gave up 42 points to the Browns (that was an awful football game IMO but then I like defense)? 

Again, I'm not trying to diss the Ravens.  They're a very, very good football team.  Talented on D, best run game in the league, very well coached, very physical.  But I don't get why people are singling them out to shake in our shoes over, vs. the Titans (who already beat us, and who have the #2 run game in the league), the Browns (#4 run game), the Colts, or even Miami which happens to have the #1 defense in the league on points (Ravens are #4)?

Trust the Process.  McD came up with a good plan last year.  Just stay healthy and avoid the Covids.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did the article include the info that their torrid play during the 4 game win streak included the Cowboys and the Jaguars who have the #30 and #31 defenses?

And that they gave up 42 points to the Browns (that was an awful football game IMO but then I like defense)? 

Again, I'm not trying to diss the Ravens.  They're a very, very good football team.  Talented on D, best run game in the league, very well coached, very physical.  But I don't get why people are singling them out to shake in our shoes over, vs. the Titans (who already beat us, and who have the #2 run game in the league), the Browns (#4 run game), the Colts, or even Miami which happens to have the #1 defense in the league on points (Ravens are #4)?

Trust the Process.  McD came up with a good plan last year.  Just stay healthy and avoid the Covids.

Stats without context is how good analysis is done these days apparently. It’s more important to get the stats out there to fit your narrative than it is to be thorough. People care about being first, they don’t care about the holes in their argument. Stats are the reason why Mahomes was considered the favorite foe so long this year for MVP. I think Mahomes is an amazing QB and deserves the praise he gets, but pretty much any QB is going to put up amazing numbers with the weapons they have on that offense 

If we are playing our backups against Miami, I think we are destined for a first round matchup with Baltimore. 

I don’t see the browns beating the Steelers backups. If both the bills

and Browns lose, then 6 out of the 8 scenarios have us against Baltimore (with the other two being tenn or Indy). 

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If we are playing our backups against Miami, I think we are destined for a first round matchup with Baltimore. 

I don’t see the browns beating the Steelers backups. If both the bills

and Browns lose, then 6 out of the 8 scenarios have us against Baltimore (with the other two being tenn or Indy). 

I'm OK with a healthy Bills team playing a first round matchup with Baltimore, vs. a injured, hampered Bills team playing a first round matchup with Tenn. or Indy.  Of course, a healthy Bills team playing anyone would be great, but that can change fast as we know.

I think the Browns can beat the Steelers without Hayward and Watt, IF they don't lose more players to Covid and IF the coaches they lose to this am's covid findings aren't HC, OC, or DC.  Right now I'm not optimistic for that game taking place as scheduled, though.  I think they got them an outbreak.

Curious why you think the Browns can't beat the Hayward and Watt-less Steelers?

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Just not true.

If look at Josh Allen's 'NextGenStats,' I would say the Ravens have more to worry about than the Bills.

The appeal of these playoffs is that the farther you go, you always find a good team on the other side of the ball.  I actually fear the Titans more than the Ravens, but I am into round two thinking on that one.  The Bills can beat anyone, they just need to execute their plan better than the other guy.  Of course, the plan might be the decider, and this year our coaches are putting together great  game plans...especially over the last two months.  That is why I am apprehensive about loosing a coordinator.  Daboll is a potential loss, but I think Frazier will stay.

• Like (+1) 1