Is Devonta Smith basically Stefon Diggs?

78thealltimegreat

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I did my Kyle Pitts tape deep dive the other day and he has the highest grade I have ever given to a tight end since I have been doing this. In my history I think David Njoku is the only tight end I have ever had a 1st on (OJ Howard was a 1st/2nd borderline in the same draft) but Pitts is exceptional. I personally still wouldn't pick him top 10, not sure I'd pick any TE top 10..... but he may well end up one of my top 10 grades in this class and he will go no lower than 15th. Depends how many QBs get pushed up. 

I basically agree with you on Smith as well I think. A lot of people have Chase #1 and Smith #2.... still early in my process but at the moment I think I have them the other way around. 

What is you view on Mack Jones Bill? 

Before I answer, let me just say that I am humbled that you would even ask my opinion. I admire and appreciate the work you do on the draft.

I'll start from the beginning. Late last season, I was unimpressed with Mac. He threw 2 pick sixes against Auburn and really didn't look ready (to me). When we played Michigan in the bowl game, it was a different story, BUT; I had not seen enough of Mich. or the Big 10 as a whole to know how impressed to be. To take it a step further, I thought that he would begin this season as a starter, and lose the job to the #1 recruit in the country, freshman Bryce Young. Now, I will skip to this year.

Mac made tremendous strides this year. The kid is very, very smart and is quick to see which receiver will NOT get open on a play, thus enabling him to find an open receiver (admittedly not a hard task at Alabama). He seems to have perfect timing as well. I have seen him on numerous occasions look as if he is pushing the ball into a small, specific target and do so with great accuracy. He does have something of a fastball, but we are spoiled by Josh :). Trust me, it ain't THAT fast! He is not a runner but he has great feet in the pocket. He isn't afraid to take off and run when warranted, but he isn't that athletic and even needs to work on his slide.

Now, I will make a comparison, but PLEASE don't misunderstand. I am ONLY talking style in the case of yes, Tom Brady. Like him or hate him, there is no qb who ever lived that can process the field like Brady. He can look off of a covered receiver in a second or 2 and WILL find an open man. Mac does this too but keep in mind, he does so with potential HOF receivers (Smith and Waddle), and a GREAT OL, this against college teams albeit great ones.

A more realistic comparison would be Cousins. I think that Mac has a higher ceiling than Cousins, but nothing near the ceiling of Josh Allen.

I think that he will go earlier than expected. If fact, I predict that Belichick will draft him. GB, I predict that the Bills will win the Super Bowl, so I am all but sure that he will be gone well before we draft in round 1. What do you think?

18 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Before I answer, let me just say that I am humbled that you would even ask my opinion. I admire and appreciate the work you do on the draft.

I'll start from the beginning. Late last season, I was unimpressed with Mac. He threw 2 pick sixes against Auburn and really didn't look ready (to me). When we played Michigan in the bowl game, it was a different story, BUT; I had not seen enough of Mich. or the Big 10 as a whole to know how impressed to be. To take it a step further, I thought that he would begin this season as a starter, and lose the job to the #1 recruit in the country, freshman Bryce Young. Now, I will skip to this year.

Mac made tremendous strides this year. The kid is very, very smart and is quick to see which receiver will NOT get open on a play, thus enabling him to find an open receiver (admittedly not a hard task at Alabama). He seems to have perfect timing as well. I have seen him on numerous occasions look as if he is pushing the ball into a small, specific target and do so with great accuracy. He does have something of a fastball, but we are spoiled by Josh :). Trust me, it ain't THAT fast! He is not a runner but he has great feet in the pocket. He isn't afraid to take off and run when warranted, but he isn't that athletic and even needs to work on his slide.

Now, I will make a comparison, but PLEASE don't misunderstand. I am ONLY talking style in the case of yes, Tom Brady. Like him or hate him, there is no qb who ever lived that can process the field like Brady. He can look off of a covered receiver in a second or 2 and WILL find an open man. Mac does this too but keep in mind, he does so with potential HOF receivers (Smith and Waddle), and a GREAT OL, this against college teams albeit great ones.

A more realistic comparison would be Cousins. I think that Mac has a higher ceiling than Cousins, but nothing near the ceiling of Josh Allen.

I think that he will go earlier than expected. If fact, I predict that Belichick will draft him. GB, I predict that the Bills will win the Super Bowl, so I am all but sure that he will be gone well before we draft in round 1. What do you think?

I haven't really got deep into the QBs yet but I have watched the playoff games and been more impressed with Mack than I expected to be. I was thinking Pittsburgh might be a fit later in the first. 

On 1/14/2021 at 5:16 PM, GunnerBill said:

I haven't really got deep into the QBs yet but I have watched the playoff games and been more impressed with Mack than I expected to be. I was thinking Pittsburgh might be a fit later in the first. 

I would consider Pittsburgh another very possible location for Mac to wind up at.

Edited by Bill from NYC

• 3 weeks later...

Smith has a feel for getting open, definitely not the most raw talent at reciever for Alabama as of late. He is the hardest worker though, which makes a difference in the NFL.

I'm a lifelong Bama fan so maybe I'm discounting some of his talent. Though I wouldn't have any worries of him flaming out for lack of effort.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.