Cam Newton - “Mentally tough”

RunTheBall

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/31/in-2020-cam-newton-learned-hes-a-mentally-tough-sob/#comments

I don’t tend to start threads but I was browsing PFT and this little tidbit just blew my mind. I thought I’d share since there has been some discussion that Cam might be an option for backup QB for us next season.

In my opinion, I don’t want this clown anywhere near our franchise.

Besides the fact that I think he is an absolutely awful QB now, his absolute lack of self awareness is stunning. This whole article is a self congratulatory homage to how mentally tough he thinks he is because he’s had to persevere through one of the worst seasons I’ve seen a starting QB have in memory. There is zero acknowledgment that he’s even part of the problem. He spends more time discussing the difference in clothes he wears compared to Belichick. He has no chance of fixing his mechanical issues and becoming even a serviceable backup QB because he really doesn’t think he’s any part of the problem.

I think Cam was allowed to get away with horrible mechanics for his career because he was such a physical specimen he could overcome it with arm strength and escapability. Now that he’s older and injuries have taken their toll, his flaws are horribly exposed and its been obvious all year he can barely throw a football anymore. No thanks.

Combine that with a personality that is the exact opposite of “the process” and I can’t believe McBeane would let this guy west of Syracuse let alone in the building despite their familiarity with him.

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The Patriots didnt have a game on September 30th, or Christmas Eve, so there is absolutely no football related excuse for him missing his kids birthdays.    Honestly hope Cam grows up because his biggest problem is his immaturity.   For the record, Bill wears jeans and Patriots gear everyday because he doesnt spend time worrying about how he looks, because grown men dont do that on a daily.    Maybe spend less time worrying about your "steez" and more time trying to get to your kids birthday parties. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/31/in-2020-cam-newton-learned-hes-a-mentally-tough-sob/#comments

I don’t tend to start threads but I was browsing PFT and this little tidbit just blew my mind. I thought I’d share since there has been some discussion that Cam might be an option for backup QB for us next season.

Besides the fact that I think he is an absolutely awful QB now, his absolute lack of self awareness is stunning. This whole article is a self congratulatory homage to how mentally tough he thinks he is because he’s had to persevere through one of the worst seasons I’ve seen a starting QB have in memory. There is zero acknowledgment that he’s even part of the problem. He spends more time discussing the difference in clothes he wears compared to Belichick. He has no chance of fixing his mechanical issues and becoming even a serviceable backup QB because he really doesn’t think he’s any part of the problem.

I think Cam was allowed to get away with horrible mechanics for his career because he was such a physical specimen he could overcome it with arm strength and escapability. Now that he’s older and injuries have taken their toll, his flaws are horribly exposed and its been obvious all year he can barely throw a football anymore. No thanks.

Combine that with a personality that is the exact opposite of “the process” and I can’t believe McBeane would let this guy west of Syracuse let alone in the building despite their familiarity with him.

That’s a pretty rough take but I’d have to agree with some of your points.

He definitely did succeed in large part because of his physical attributes and his competitiveness.  Now that he has been hampered with injuries and Father Time his bad mechanics are no longer hidden by those great attributes he had.

He could serve as a backup QB but the question is will he want to retire as one?   His outsized personality makes it tough for me to believe he would accept being one but if he could mentally accept that and decide to contribute as one then he could be an asset, as a backup.

I'm not going to pretend that I've followed Newton closely for the past few years.  My impression has simply been that he's a self-absorbed jerk with phenomenal talent.  But I watched him as closely as I could during the MNF game.  Leave aside the douchiness.  The man was a truly BAD quarterback.  There's a reason he wasn't signed until July 2020, and he did ZERO to convince any team that he'd be a good option at backup, let alone a starter.  Another Dennis Rodman.

• Like (+1) 3

No ill will towards Cam from this corner.  He certainly looks done, though the pats gave him little to work with.

One comparison between Cam and Josh that I hope we don't see come about...refs routinely swallowed their whistles because of Cam's size and athletic ability.  Defenses were allowed to batter him unlike what was allowed with other QBs & the advantages that his body once gave him disappeared.  I hope that Allen's similar size and terrific athletic ability do not cause refs to look the other way when Josh is hit.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bottom line is he’s not good.  Teams can put up with the craziness if he’s performing.  He never made the transition to a pocket QB.  He still thought he was more power running back than QB.  Josh would’ve suffered same fate but his transformation this year into a passing QB has been almost miraculous.  Cam never thought he had to change.  The MVP and super bowl appearance were fool’s gold.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Beerball said:

No ill will towards Cam from this corner.  He certainly looks done, though the pats gave him little to work with.

One comparison between Cam and Josh that I hope we don't see come about...refs routinely swallowed their whistles because of Cam's size and athletic ability.  Defenses were allowed to batter him unlike what was allowed with other QBs & the advantages that his body once gave him disappeared.  I hope that Allen's similar size and terrific athletic ability do not cause refs to look the other way when Josh is hit.

Don't worry, beerball, Josh has already proven he has a Lebron level flop when selling penalties and the zebras are obliging.

Cam is a "diva" QB, and that shouldn't be a thing.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Watching him throw the ball, he looks to be pretty much done to me.   Looks like the injuries have finally taken their toll.  Guy had a great run.   Ride off into the sunset young man.  Go raise your family.  

Agreed - Cam's done - something not right with that throwing shoulder to be bouncing passes in front of receivers.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if the NFL tracks this stat or not, but I'm pretty certain Cam would be the all time NFL leader in times shown on the sideline with a towel over his head sulking after another bad play of some sorts by him.  I will give him that he has got somewhat better over the years, but likely because he and the team got better.  Do recall seeing it surface after his fumble in the first Bills game.

That is one thing that does scare me about Allen as he and Cam are almost identical in size, will Allen also suffer the same fate in about 10 years?  I do feel the one thing Allen has going for him is that the Bills are asking him to rush much less now and instead win with his arm.  Cam was never really asked much to do this either because his arm/mechanics wasn't good enough, or he didn't have as strong a team around him to realistically expect him to do that.

Funny too in 2016 and 2017, Cam's completion percentage was 52.9 and 59.1%, just about the same as Allen's first two seasons which everyone ripped him for and stated he's a bust.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

Reading through it, it says that it was a tough year for him and that going through it made him more resilient.

What in the world is wrong with a word of anything he said? Nothing. He's not throwing anyone under the bus, he's not blaming anyone else. He's just saying it's been a tough year.

Fair enough you don't want him near us. I don't either unless they fix his mechanics somehow. But what he said there was all just fine.