6 years ago today, Doug Marrone opted out as Bills Head Coach

YoloinOhio

When he was hired, I remember thinking, "this guy won the ***** Pinstripe Bowl!!! We got ourselves a real HC!!!"

Turned out that wasn't really the best litmus test.

In seriousness, Marrone was hired into just about the biggest dumpster fire in the NFL.  Inept ownership.  Inept front office.

Was he great?  No.  But when he left, the Bills had a winning record and a top defense.   I never blamed him for bailing with all of the uncertainty.  I think he did the best job he could being the head coach of a horribly managed team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Definitely was not on the last year of his contract. He was hired in 2013 and had 2 years left. 

Ok. I didn’t remember  all the details correctly .  Nevertheless  , he was trying to extend at the point when he left.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know if it seems like longer or like it was yesterday. It seems like a different world. 

One of the few things that I thought happened much longer ago. Feels like forever.

I don't always compare other teams' fans with other bills fans, but when I got the notification he opted out, I partied like it was 1999. Then I saw that some fans were upset and I knew that we had some dumb fans among us too. All good though. We all want the same thing. 

In short, eff Doug Marrone. He was the antithesis of what we have now. Arrogant, stupid and dismissive. 

Edited by QB Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Thank god he did, but it was still a dick move.

Sometimes things just work out the way they are meant to be. We had suffered enough, he would never get it done and Rex was exposed as a poser pretty quickly. 

We now have possibly the best (or at least top 5) rosters and regimes in the NFL. This looks built to last. Every year 31 teams are disappointed at the end, but I like our chances this year and going forward. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Sometimes things just work out the way they are meant to be. We had suffered enough, he would never get it done and Rex was exposed as a poser pretty quickly. 

We now have possibly the best (or at least top 5) rosters and regimes in the NFL. This looks built to last. Every year 31 teams are disappointed at the end, but I like our chances this year and going forward. 

I mean...true.

I just ask myself: would McDermott walk out on this team? Can I ever envision him doing something like that?

I honestly don't, and we are much better off for it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

Cared at the time and thought the MF was a quitter.  Understand the financial part of the deal but he’s a loser and always will be.

The place was still a dumpster fire though and his stock was at its height. He wanted Whaley gone and a GM that he approved of hired. While I am sure he went about it the wrong way because he is clearly a dick of a man if McDermott and Beane have taught us anything it is that organisational alignment wins. It wouldn't have won in the same with with Marrone because like his best bud Billy O down in Houston he'd have always wanted more and more power.... but the germ of that idea "in order to fully turn this around I need a GM I am more aligned with" was not wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1