6 years ago today, Doug Marrone opted out as Bills Head Coach

YoloinOhio

Marrone was supposedly an Offensively oriented guy, who actually wasn't any good at that side of the ball. What he was good at was finding good DCs, with first Pettine, then Schwartz who created a terrific D.

Next up Ryan, a supposed Defensive mastermind, who completely screwed up that terrific D, yet somehow managed to improve the Offense by a fair bit.

I've always been somewhat bemused by how all that panned out tbh.

Disingenuous Doug, claimed to be fully on board with the EJ pick, yet then looked to move away from him asap, instead of trying to support him. He also made the decision to keep Concussive Kev over tough as old boots Leftwich, to be the stop gap vet.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A great moment in Bills history. 

At the time it was just another low point in what should have been a bad reflection on him, instead it made us more of a laughing stock.  

I never cared for him but he got us to 9-7.  

Looking at him today his quitting is truly a bad reflection on him, and I doubt he ever gets a HC job again ... unless the Jets are interested?   

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

Marrone and Bill O’Brien are going to start a consulting company to advise organizations on how to achieve mediocrity.  

Just now, Bob in STL said:

At the time it was just another low point in what should have been a bad reflection on him, instead made us more of a laughing stock.  

Looking at him today his quitting is truly  a bad reflection on him, and I doubt he ever gets a HC job again ... unless the Jets are interested?   

He got us to 9/7 because the Pats decided not to contest the season finale so let’s not give him too much credit for his crowning achievement as Bills coach.  He does not belong in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

At the time it was just another low point in what should have been a bad reflection on him, instead made us more of a laughing stock.  

Looking at him today his quitting is truly  a bad reflection on him, and I doubt he ever gets a HC job again ... unless the Jets are interested?   

Look where the Bills are vs. where Marrone is. It worked out just fine for the organization. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know if it seems like longer or like it was yesterday. It seems like a different world. 

Thanks Doug, he started the motion which ended up where we find ourselves now.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He didn't have the best personality in the world but I did like him as HC.  However, thought it was very cowardly of him to leave the way he did.  6 years later it shows the grass isn't always greener on the other side.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I was disappointed. Think we'd have been better with two more years of Doug than with Rex. He might even have broken the drought. 

It's interesting in retrospect, I'm almost positive the Bills were the #7 seed in the AFC in 2014 at 9-7.  With an extra team making the playoffs they'd of made it that year.  Wonder how that would have changed things?  

I remember at the time talking with a buddy who is best friends with one of our backup lineman back on those teams. Had nothing but negative things to say about Marrone— sounded like he has all the bad attributes of a Tom Coughlin-type, but with none of the positives

I never understood what exactly Marrone brought to the table as either a head coach or even a position coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

My 1st thoughts when Marrone quit was that after Orton quit that Marrone thought there was no way he wanted to come back with EJ as his QB.  When Rex brought in Tyrod, knowing how bad EJ & Cassel were, I expected Tyrod to be the starter and had high hopes for us with him at QB.  By 2017 I was calling Tyrod a Wheel Spinner, knowing that Tyrod could never QB a contender as a starter.  

`

Edited by Albany,n.y.

31 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Marrone was supposedly an Offensively oriented guy, who actually wasn't any good at that side of the ball. What he was good at was finding good DCs, with first Pettine, then Schwartz who created a terrific D.

Next up Ryan, a supposed Defensive mastermind, who completely screwed up that terrific D, yet somehow managed to improve the Offense by a fair bit.

I've always been somewhat bemused by how all that panned out tbh.

Disingenuous Doug, claimed to be fully on board with the EJ pick, yet then looked to move away from him asap, instead of trying to support him. He also made the decision to keep Concussive Kev over tough as old boots Leftwich, to be the stop gap vet.

This.  Didn't care for Marrone or think he or Hackett were good offensive coaches.  Was hoping they'd promote Schwartz to keep the excellent defense intact and that he'd hire a good OC.  Hated the Rex hire but was hopeful he'd make the defense better.  He didn't.  It was a mistake but thankfully the Pegulas realized it fairly quickly and made a franchise-altering set of hires.

• Like (+1) 3

Thank goodness this self important jerk jumped ship because that laid the groundwork for Sean and the incredible ascension to league dominance. Marrone cancerized himself in Jax like he did here. He alienated players, fans and the sports media, with his humorless, knowitall approach. All Bills fans should be thankful to be rid of this gasbag. 

• Like (+1) 2