Texans interviewing Bills director of player personnel Malik Boyd for GM

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Those are valid points:

limited draft capital is an issue

Easterby is a problem and to his credit, unlike Bob McNair, Cal grew a set and said Easterby wont by GM, Easterby will be gone

Not the same authority structure when the sole owner dies

definite issue

i’d want that to happen before accepting the job- gone, not just moved to a different area.

Cal McNair has been involved in the process for years and was the chairman of the organization since 2018. 

I'm hoping that Malik Boyd & Lake Dawson both get GM jobs & we're swimming in 3rd round comp picks.  Then the Bills should replace them with the brightest young minority candidates and keep developing those young executives and getting draft choices.  

The only thing I don't understand is why the team that hires the new GM doesn't get rewarded as well.  Instead of two 3rd round comp picks to the team that developed him, they should make it one for the developing team & 1 for the hiring team.  

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So what if we lose 3 to GM jobs does that mean we get 6 3rd round picks?

If they are minority hires from the Bills front office.

It's the same compensation for Head Coach. If both a Head Coach and GM are hired it's 3 3rd round picks.

In theory if Houston hires Boyd and Boyd takes Frazier for HC, the Texans revamp their front office and on-field coaching with a transfusion of Bills culture, at the cost of making the NFL pay the Bills 3 3rd rounders in the next 2 drafts.

Why wouldn't they?

Edited by Ralonzo

5 hours ago, TroutDog said:

I suspect there will be quite a few new faces at OBD next year. The Bills organization is deep and strong...including the coaching staff. 

On another note, I hate that they’re allowing this while the season is still going on. I understand it but really dislike it. 

yeah they really should not allow this during the season.  but of a distraction, but perhaps less for that position than in offseason?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

In Beane I trust!!

This is all part of his master plan, to install proteges high up in front offices around the league, so he can best them in deals for their most talented players, as they are needed.

GENIUS!!

First thing I thought of LOL.

Beane playing 4D chess while the rest of the league plays checkers.

WIZARD!

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

If they are minority hires from the Bills front office.

It's the same compensation for Head Coach. If both a Head Coach and GM are hired it's 3 3rd round picks.

In theory if Houston hires Boyd and Boyd takes Frazier for HC, the Texans revamp their front office and on-field coaching with a transfusion of Bills culture, at the cost of making the NFL pay the Bills 3 3rd rounders in the next 2 drafts.

Why wouldn't they?

With all due respect this 3rd round compensation has got to be one of the stupidest rules ever.  If the guy is the best person for the job hire him.  If he is not ready and you hire a guy because he is a minority what will that do for him.  

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I expect just about every team with an Open GM position to look to Buffalo. 

we have at least 4-5 legit candidates 

My bad Mods. Don’t know how I missed it in my scan. Must have been too much Wine. 

18 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I'm hoping that Malik Boyd & Lake Dawson both get GM jobs & we're swimming in 3rd round comp picks.  Then the Bills should replace them with the brightest young minority candidates and keep developing those young executives and getting draft choices.  

The only thing I don't understand is why the team that hires the new GM doesn't get rewarded as well.  Instead of two 3rd round comp picks to the team that developed him, they should make it one for the developing team & 1 for the hiring team.  

Louis Riddick spoke about this on IG -- https://www.instagram.com/tv/CAOp4o4nA5G/?igshid=9l2voxprr3yr

Has to do with grooming candidates for hire.  

23 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Not sure why anyone in Buffalo would want to work for the Texans after Gaines’ experience - I get that BOB is gone, but the issues that created BOB still seem well rooted. 

Drought, I remember the story, but as you said, since the dad is gone, he probably would make part of the negotiations in the interview his ability to make all personnel and football decisions only needing the approval of ownership.  He goes there if given the opportunity, and the it’s a battle between Bieniemy and Daboll probably for th HC job.  Too many positives about both jobs.  Between QB’s, and familiarity with GM’s, it’s a no brainer.

As I mentioned before, I’m happy for anyone getting a deserved promotion.  It’s what each of these guys has been planning most of their professional lives.

19 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It’s a good point. Why would anyone hire a non-minority for any job below and including OC/DC?

You can hire a non-minority, but he better be better than all other applicants AND potentially (2) 3rd round picks if he was to succeed. I mean why hire/develop young non-minority personnel when doing so brings no benefit to the organization?

Look, as mentioned before, the pool of individuals who can PLAY in the NFL is completely different than the pool of people who can COACH in the NFL. Just because the pool of players is racially imbalanced, it doesn’t mean that all aspects it touches also has to have the same racial imbalance. 

I think the idea came from the right place, but the execution is trash. If the real goal is to break up the good ‘ol boys club, this is not the right way to do it and to be honest, probably won’t work. Leaving the perceived good ‘ol boys club safe and intact (seriously how many sons of previous coaches are in the NFL?)