Bills sign WR Gary Jennings to PS. Was in yesterday for a workout.

MAJBobby

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

It’s not actually, it’s Hodgins, whose on IR. Far as I know they keep the # when on IR.

Ah yes, right. Which reminds me of the fact that Hodgins made a terrible choice. Now HE looks like an 87 to me.

Seattle was high on Jennings heading into the 2019 NFL Draft and selected the receiver with the No. 120 overall pick in the fourth round. The Seahawks ended up releasing Jennings during the 2019 season as he struggled to stay healthy. The Dolphins claimed Jennings off waivers and placed the receiver on injured reserve. Miami released Jennings prior to this season as the team finalized its 53-man roster.

Carroll Described Jennings as a ‘Monster’

Jennings struggled with injuries throughout his short tenure with the Seahawks. At 6’1″ and 216 pounds, Jennings has the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll once described Jennings as a “monster” on the field.

“He’s a monster out there,” Carroll said during the 2019 preseason, per The Seattle Times. “Really strong and explosive.”

Jennings Was the Fastest Player at the 2019 Senior Bowl

Jennings was a highly-touted player coming out of West Virginia. After the Seahawks drafted Jennings, general manager John Schneider noted that the receiver was the fastest player at the 2019 Senior Bowl.

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

Seattle was high on Jennings heading into the 2019 NFL Draft and selected the receiver with the No. 120 overall pick in the fourth round. The Seahawks ended up releasing Jennings during the 2019 season as he struggled to stay healthy. The Dolphins claimed Jennings off waivers and placed the receiver on injured reserve. Miami released Jennings prior to this season as the team finalized its 53-man roster.

Carroll Described Jennings as a ‘Monster’

Jennings struggled with injuries throughout his short tenure with the Seahawks. At 6’1″ and 216 pounds, Jennings has the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll once described Jennings as a “monster” on the field.

“He’s a monster out there,” Carroll said during the 2019 preseason, per The Seattle Times. “Really strong and explosive.”

Jennings Was the Fastest Player at the 2019 Senior Bowl

Jennings was a highly-touted player coming out of West Virginia. After the Seahawks drafted Jennings, general manager John Schneider noted that the receiver was the fastest player at the 2019 Senior Bowl.

Cannot teach speed and size,  he has them both

• Like (+1) 1

“Jennings, he had a great, great year. Coming out of that offense there’s always questions, right? But he did a great job at the Senior Bowl,” Schneider said in 2019, per Field Gulls. “…He can fly for a 216lb guy, so he can track it down the field. They tracked him at 23 miles per hour…he had the fastest speed at the Senior Bowl of anyone down there with the Zebra timing.”

12 hours ago, Magox said:

This is Brandon Beane always looking at ways to improve the team and depth.  These guys will have their opportunities not just possibly now but for next year.   

Hmm.... timing and number , plus McD saying Beasley is "week to week" tells me Beasley injury is more significant than less.  

I feel like the Saints really screwed us with the Kumerow signing, there is no FA out there that will know this offense. Kumerow's size, speed, blocking and hands were a good fit in case somebody went down with a injury. Im not sure if Beanie made a mistake by trying to send him back to the PS, plus im not familiar with the rules regarding the PS. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I really don't want to play Baltimore in the 1st game, I think we can beat any other team but them. Baltimore is that wild card team that has a great defense and strong running game. Lamar Jackson is more of an upset QB, he could have an amazing game but will follow it up with a turd. 

Eh, we will see. Lamar didn’t light the Bills up last year during his MVP season.

I like this signing. If this kid can get healthy he sounds like someone who can contribute. We need some young talent in the WR room for 2021 and beyond. 

54 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I feel like the Saints really screwed us with the Kumerow signing, there is no FA out there that will know this offense. Kumerow's size, speed, blocking and hands were a good fit in case somebody went down with a injury. Im not sure if Beanie made a mistake by trying to send him back to the PS, plus im not familiar with the rules regarding the PS. 

I think they liked Kumerow, but he was not a long term answer - he was just another guy at WR.

Kumerow was called up twice from the PS earlier in the season with the John Brown injury.  When Taiwan Jones got banged up - they had to move Kumerow to the active roster as he was no longer available for call ups.  When Brown and Jones were both healthy and the Bills wanted to activate Brown from IR they needed an open Roster spot and Kumerow made sense.  

Unfortunately you can’t just move him back to the PS from the active roster - that can only be done as a call up for this year.  Therefore he had to clear waivers and the WR short Saints decided to take a peek.

I don’t think Beane “made a mistake” - Kumerow would have been WR number 7 and you would of had to move and weaken another position to free the spot.  The Bills knew they had an extra PS WR already and as has been shown by the signings - there were other options available- it was a chance that made sense.

Do I think they would of liked to keep Kumerow - Yeah - of course, but I think Kumerow is a better loss than perhaps an extra Safety or LB or even DLineman.

14 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think they liked Kumerow, but he was not a long term answer - he was just another guy at WR.

Kumerow was called up twice from the PS earlier in the season with the John Brown injury.  When Taiwan Jones got banged up - they had to move Kumerow to the active roster as he was no longer available for call ups.  When Brown and Jones were both healthy and the Bills wanted to activate Brown from IR they needed an open Roster spot and Kumerow made sense.  

Unfortunately you can’t just move him back to the PS from the active roster - that can only be done as a call up for this year.  Therefore he had to clear waivers and the WR short Saints decided to take a peek.

I don’t think Beane “made a mistake” - Kumerow would have been WR number 7 and you would of had to move and weaken another position to free the spot.  The Bills knew they had an extra PS WR already and as has been shown by the signings - there were other options available- it was a chance that made sense.

Do I think they would of liked to keep Kumerow - Yeah - of course, but I think Kumerow is a better loss than perhaps an extra Safety or LB or even DLineman.

I agree, I'm just confused about why Duke is around, seems like all these moves are kind of discounting him being involved as a wr. I am kind of guessing that maybe they are trying to convert him to a te because other than that I don't see why they need so many extra wr's for this playoff run.

16 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Interesting amount of WR movement with the Stills visit and now this signing.  Hoping its all just insurance and not because Beasley's (or Brown's for that matter) are on the more long-term/serious side.

Again, when I think week to week I don't think week to week...I think a month like with Singletary and Milano, etc.

I also think we will hear a bunch of talk about Beasely "trying to get ready" and "he was with the team at practice" and "game time decision".  The truth is I believe they may be saying "game time decision" right up until the AFC Championship game.   *

*  I hope I am the most wrong person on planet Earth.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I agree, I'm just confused about why Duke is around, seems like all these moves are kind of discounting him being involved as a wr. I am kind of guessing that maybe they are trying to convert him to a te because other than that I don't see why they need so many extra wr's for this playoff run.

I think the Bills play the most 10 and 11 personnel in the league- meaning 1 or 0 TEs on the field and 3-4 wrs and even then they spread the RB out wide also.

I believe Duke and Kumerow were on the PS as extra gunner/WRs because that is the driver of the offense.  I think the Bills want a minimum of 2 WRs on the PS to help as needed.  The offense does not run without several WRs available.  

I don’t think they are looking at Williams as a TE because they already have 4 on the roster and Becker on the PS.  That does not mean Williams couldn’t run some of the Knox types routes, but I don’t see him as a strong enough blocker to play the H-Back blocker role the TEs are playing this year.

They have also already used up Duke’s call-ups I believe - so much like Kumerow next time he needs to play - he must go to the active roster and pass waivers.  Any new guys will have the free call ups the last week of the season and therefore can come up with no roster impact.

I was able attend the WVU--Oklahoma game where he made those three passes in the video. He and Grier had a great connection.

I think he will make a fine addition to the Bill's receiver group.

And staying healthy is the only negative issue

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think the Bills play the most 10 and 11 personnel in the league- meaning 1 or 0 TEs on the field and 3-4 wrs and even then they spread the RB out wide also.

I believe Duke and Kumerow were on the PS as extra gunner/WRs because that is the driver of the offense.  I think the Bills want a minimum of 2 WRs on the PS to help as needed.  The offense does not run without several WRs available.  

I don’t think they are looking at Williams as a TE because they already have 4 on the roster and Becker on the PS.  That does not mean Williams couldn’t run some of the Knox types routes, but I don’t see him as a strong enough blocker to play the H-Back blocker role the TEs are playing this year.

They have also already used up Duke’s call-ups I believe - so much like Kumerow next time he needs to play - he must go to the active roster and pass waivers.  Any new guys will have the free call ups the last week of the season and therefore can come up with no roster impact.

It looks like he has only been called up once this year so it looks like he's got another one. Plus, aren't the playoff practice squad rules open?

I'm looking at the front office actions: we bring Kumerow in and he starts over Duke. Seems like Stills could be a nice pickup and I'm assuming he has a good chance to start over Duke. Seems like a trend. Plus Hodgins is in the wings. Does Jennings start over Duke? Probably not this weekend, but in the playoffs? Why have Duke on the roster if you can pick guys up off the street and start them over him? I wouldn't mind having a spot for a developmental guy with John Brown's type of speed instead.

If Duke was to bulk up some maybe he could be a second/third string TE. I think he would have a better chance sticking on this roster as a TE, especially if we get a fullback on the roster again next year.