The theory of resting/playing your starters in a quasi-meaningless game.

njbuff

I do not trust in resting starters.  Play a half to keep them sharp.  Rotate in the back ups.  The worry about them getting hurt is interesting.  Any time a player steps on the field risks injury.  Even in warm ups.  That has happened.  Do not play with fear of injury.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, Rc2catch said:

I play whoever is healthy because I wanna keep the rhythm going. 
Allen is hot, O line is hot, receiving group is playing well. I’m keeping that rhythm. I come out and play first quarter like this is the playoffs. If there’s a lead I try to establish the run and kill clock ASAP. With this offense I don’t sit them. I just don’t have the confidence in two weeks they pickup right where they left off. 

So beat up our starters against the Dolphins so we can most likely play them again the very next week and do it again? It’s not a good plan. 

39 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I do not trust in resting starters.  Play a half to keep them sharp.  Rotate in the back ups.  The worry about them getting hurt is interesting.  Any time a player steps on the field risks injury.  Even in warm ups.  That has happened.  Do not play with fear of injury.

Any other season they would play for a bye week, and get a week off. I don't think sharpness is an issue. Buffalo came out of the bye week very strong this year.

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

If the Browns get their players back given their Covid outbreak, and it becoming public knowledge the Steelers are resting a ton of their talent, we are pretty assured the second seed (not about fans, just if we win twice we delay the Chiefs to the AFCC).

With that said, I would consider based on the injuries we’ve faced this year the following either resting or play a series.

Allen

Diggs

Brown (if cleared from Covid, Id only want him to play a quarter or a little more, but then sit him.  He just needs to knock the                 rust off if completely healthy)

Singletary (we need one completely healthy so we see Yeldon if cleared and Moss, again if cleared on both)

White

Milano

Edmunds

Poyer

Again, Beasely, Yeldon, and Brown will probably be out anyway between an injury and Covid IR.

i suspect McD will start pulling others as the game goes on either we’re blowing them out or they are blowing us out.  Hopefully the former and we can just run and pound them in the second half.

With the Steelers proclaiming they are out on the last game makes the decision that much easier to pull people either completely, or very quickly in the game.  The unknown the trainers and coaches know, not us who is dinged up and could use the rest.  

I'd probably rest the same players, as well as any linemen who are banged up. 

With less receiver talent out there it becomes much more of a TE heavy running attack with play action.  If Barkley or webb starts too it doesn't make sense to try and run the josh allen offense.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/31/2020 at 10:59 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

9 straight playoff wins?  Sadly no that is not true, that is the entire point.  The  most they had in a row was 3

Do you think the Bills lost those Super Bowls because they rested players three games earlier?

Ludicrous. 

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sure home field matters.

But much less than going into the  playoffs with few key injuries and not banged up.

Sit 'em.

They will sit them once the game is in control or once Cleveland is clearly in control.

Every year you see teams in contention for the #1 or #2 seed with a playoff spot locked up play to win with all starters in week 17. They don't manufacture a bye week with playoffs already in hand.

Now, I will say that for this week weather might be a legitimate factor, but McDermott understands the significance of home playoff games in WNY.

the decision wether to play or rest starters is ripe for 20-20 hindsight . The very best we can hope for is a game with no injuries with the end being a win. I guess for me Id rather have a  loss with no imjuries  than a win with injuries heading into the playoffs.  JMO

There are a couple schools of thought about how to call this game too. Thought one would be to be as vanilla as possible and try not to show anything that isn't already on tape.

The other thought is to show as much as possible to give the opposition more to prepare for. Just last week the Bills called at least two specific plays to break tendencies and show another look out of a particular formation. The formation I'm think of is McKenzie behind Allen. We threw a swing pass to the left McKenzie out of that and then also snuck Lee Smith out the back door to the right out of that formation. Neither of those things are accidental and IMO they are both designed to set up something we will see in the playoffs. Something exploiting the middle of the field since they stretched the D to both sides in what they've shown and both plays put pressure on the LBs to get outside quickly.

They could and should be showing things on tape this week to set up stuff for the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

There are a couple schools of thought about how to call this game too. Thought one would be to be as vanilla as possible and try not to show anything that isn't already on tape.

The other thought is to show as much as possible to give the opposition more to prepare for. Just last week the Bills called at least two specific plays to break tendencies and show another look out of a particular formation. The formation I'm think of is McKenzie behind Allen. We threw a swing pass to the left McKenzie out of that and then also snuck Lee Smith out the back door to the right out of that formation. Neither of those things are accidental and IMO they are both designed to set up something we will see in the playoffs. Something exploiting the middle of the field since they stretched the D to both sides in what they've shown and both plays put pressure on the LBs to get outside quickly.

They could and should be showing things on tape this week to set up stuff for the playoffs. 

Daboll is definitely the "shock and awe" type.  He's endlessly creative and every week there's a new wrinkle.  Now with John Brown returning... me, personally, I'm trying to win this game.  Having at least two home games, now with FANS, is such a huge psychological boost to the players.  That's their approach i think.  That being said, I don't except the essential starters to play the whole game.  A half at most, most likely.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:18 AM, quinnearlysghost88 said:

So beat up our starters against the Dolphins so we can most likely play them again the very next week and do it again? It’s not a good plan. 

As opposed to letting the Dolphins find a rhythm against us right before we play them again? 

We don't need to play scared of injury.

If its clear we have nothing to gain, then fine, pull the starters. But keeping the rhythm going, ensuring home field advantage until AFCCG is something to gain and something to play for.

20 hours ago, Muppy said:

the decision wether to play or rest starters is ripe for 20-20 hindsight . The very best we can hope for is a game with no injuries with the end being a win. I guess for me Id rather have a  loss with no imjuries  than a win with injuries heading into the playoffs.  JMO

You could have a loss with injuries to supporting staff because the backups are struggling to make plays. Resting the starters does not mean we rest the starting 11 on either side of the ball. 

This is it exactly though. This is ripe for 20/20 hindsight. 

Edited by What a Tuel

This year following week 16, home teams had won 120 games, lost 119, and tied one.  https://www.covers.com/sport/football/nfl/league-trends/seasontodate  There is  literally NO home field advantage!  I would love to see the Bills win on Sunday to wrap up second seed, but in reality, that accomplishes nothing. Resting and protecting as many of your players as possible does accomplish something.  Bills are not getting a bye no matter what, they should  at least turn a regular season game into a meaningless pre-season game.  It's called delayed gratification.

• Like (+1) 1

I think "rested starters = rusty players" is one of many sports myths discussed by fans, but not actually existing in reality.

There is a decent chance that anyone can get hurt in any game, including these end-of-year lame duck games.

If the outcome of the game is meaningless, ALL important players should be sat from beginning to end.

Makes for a REALLY boring game as a Bills fan, but who cares.

This entire season has been, is, and will continue to be about Bills success *in the playoffs*.

Rest everybody!  I'd hire rentals to play this game if we could! 

Edited by Nextmanup

Buffalo needs to win this game.

Cleveland has basically been shutdown all week, multiple players out last week. Pittsburgh can beat Cleveland even with backups IMO.

Im sure there are a handful of players that are truly playing hurt. Those are the guys you may give a breather or let rest. But if guys are semi or mostly healthy... go get that win!!!!

*****There’s a good chance....

Buffalo Loses to Miami

Pittsburgh beats Cleveland 

Baltimore, Indy and Tennessee all win...

Bills are now 3rd seed and play Baltimore round 1 next weekend.

Everyone plays this week. It’s a must win game, keep the Momentum going and worry about the playoffs when the playoffs get here. 

Edited by CEN-CAL17
  • Like (+1) 1

I still want us to play for the #2 seed, whatever that means.  I'm 100% content with scoreboard watching and putting Allen and the other key starters on the bench once it's clear Cleveland is going to win, even though I think people are much too confident that's a gimme.

But the reason I'm coming around to the idea of just resting starters the entire game is the weather.  It looks like it's just gonna be ugly tomorrow with slushy snow or freezing rain or just cold and wet with rain.  If the weather is that ugly and there's more potential for injury, I would understand--though not be very happy with--resting starters from the beginning of the game to stave off injuries.

That said, I believe McDermott will fight for the #2 seed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/30/2020 at 2:30 PM, Gugny said:

Assuming the Steelers will lose is unwise.

Secure the 2nd seed.  Play to win the game.

Ya.  Unless browns are up big the starters should stay in.   Losing and them winning  gets us Baltimore. 

On 1/1/2021 at 11:01 PM, Nitro said:

It isn't fear of injury. That's just spin. Taking care and being fearful are not the same thing. It's simply a matter of the risk/reward ratio. What you gain here if you play them all game is far less than what you are risking.

That's correct, anytime a player steps on the field they risk injury. But no, not warmups, not any significant chance. Yes, it's happened, it's happened from walking on a rubber mat, but you don't keep guys off mats. 

With relatively little to gain, you keep them out of dangerous situations, and games are by far the most dangerous situations guys face. How would we feel if, say, Diggs gets injured and is out for the season and the Browns win, which is the likely ending of that game anyway? Or if the Steelers win and the Bills lose, and then someone beats the Steelers in Wild Card weekend.

Winning tomorrow would affect only the home stadium of the Divisional Weekend, and matchups if there are some upsets, which can't be planned for anyway. It's much more important to work on being healthy and rested, which will affect every game the Bills play in the playoffs this year.

Edited by Thurman#1