Great breakdown of 3 Allen plays where DC's are throwing notepads across the room yelling "This freaking guy!"...

Big Turk

Just now, Lazy said:

It's amazing how much the game has slowed down for him. He's seeing everything and adjusting great.

My favorite is when he calls the defensive penalties and points them out during the play.

Yea I love that. You need your players to referee the game sometimes. Tre and Josh are both excellent at it. Zo used to do it too. The Pats players did that for years. There were times when Jared Mayo played when I used to think he had his own yellow flag that he threw for OPI and false starts on the opposition. If you do it the right way you can definitely influence the zebras. 

The only thing that makes me think it wasn’t designed the way it played out was the positioning of Moss on his block.  You would think that he would have provided an inside path as opposed to allowing the defender to go outside on him which is where Allen rolled into.  Luckily Allen is super athletic and was able to quickly separate but that play with a different QB would have had the defender grasping at him from much closer distance not allowing the pass to have been thrown.

ITs just nuts the work Josh put in.. Last year one of the things we complained about Josh is that he could not anticipate a throw. He had to see it. Now he may be one of the best at anticipating throws. It is just nuts. I watched 3 highlight reels today of full year highlights on each QB Allen, Rodgers and Mahomes. This is what gets me and is not talked about nearly enough... I feel Josh is in the same category as Mahomes and Rodgers when it comes to throwing the ball... But those 2 cant run as good as Josh.. Those 2 don't have Josh's escape abilities that Josh has. 

When it comes to running abilities its Lamar then Josh with a drop off. Mobile QB's are not supposed to be able to throw this dam well... And that's not talked about enough...  Who was the last QB that could put up 4000+ season? Cam couldn't make it to 4k other then his rookie season and it was just over 4k. The next name that comes to mind of who could put up 4k yards+ and run like Josh does is maybe early Vic so I looked up Vic.  Vic could not throw past 3300 yards but one time and that year he ran for 589 yards..

In my opinion Josh is the most dangerous duel threat QB this league has ever seen.

Its not discussed enough.. not even on these boards lol

I can’t even begin to imagine what Josh Allen is capable of when he’s doing this in Year 3..

He may be the most physically gifted QB to ever enter the league, combined with high intelligence as evidenced by his Wonderlic score, an insane work ethic and off the charts leadership intangibles.  

The issue was experience and coaching..  He didn’t have much of either and whoever drafted him had to hope they could unlock his potential by providing him that. 

It’s becoming unlocked in Year 3 and I honestly don’t see a ceiling for him.   

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You have to wonder if Allen has more ceiling plus he has to stay healthy. We could have a fun decade ahead if the answer is yes and he stays healthy.

considering he’s only in his third year in the NFL, he definitely has a much higher ceiling.

35 minutes ago, Lazy said:

It's amazing how much the game has slowed down for him. He's seeing everything and adjusting great.

My favorite is when he calls the defensive penalties and points them out during the play.

Your latter point is one of the things I enjoy about not having fans: it’s interesting to actually be able to hear all of the calls. 

As for your first point, this is what I was waiting for since his rookie year. The intelligence, drive, desire, grit and physical prowess we knew was there...and now the processing is there. There is no ceiling for Josh, particularly if they keep the weapons around him. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Stef said it was a called play too. Not saying it was drawn up exactly like it played out but I think the roll right, spin round and come left was designed. 

I know that was a lot of people's favourite play of the day, but man I LOVE the first play on this brakdown. The seam ball to Knox. It was everything I want in Quarterback play. Firstly I love the seam route. It is one of the reasons I have been a huge Brees guy.... he, despite sub-optimal height, is the best seam thrower I have ever seen. Second, it is the fact that Josh lets it go before Knox is out of his break. Anticipatory? Check. Touch? Check. Perfect ball placement? Check. Man I loved that throw. I have dreamed of seeing a Bills Quarterback make that throw. That is elite Quarterback play right there. Reading, anticipating, executing. Just beautiful. 

Great points...the thing I loved the most about that play is how Allen really did look off the safety long enough to make him hesitate...which was just enough to allow the completion. The ball gets there an instant before the safety does, and it's because Allen made him hesitate, just for a step. Awesome to see.

I also loved the second play where Allen was just playing with the safety again. Allen tried to get him to bite on the crossing route, but he didn't. Allen seemed to know all along that either the safety bites and he has Davis for the long post route, or he doesn't and he has Diggs isolated on the crossing route. Awesome design and execution, and you can see how Allen is just seeing everything as it happens with total control.

My favorite play of the night, though, was the lob pass to Lee Smith. Such a great design, and that was the moment I fully realized that the Bills were actually toying with the Pats**** and Belichick's defense.

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Great points...the thing I loved the most about that play is how Allen really did look off the safety long enough to make him hesitate...which was just enough to allow the completion. The ball gets there an instant before the safety does, and it's because Allen made him hesitate, just for a step. Awesome to see.

I also loved the second play where Allen was just toying with the safety again. Allen tried to get him to bite on the crossing route, but he didn't. Allen seemed to know all along that either the safety bites and he has Davis for the long post route, or he doesn't and he has Diggs isolated on the crossing route. Awesome design and execution, and you can see how Allen is just seeing everything as it happens with total control.

My favorite play of the night, though, was the lob pass to Lee Smith. Such a great design, and that was the moment I fully realized that the Bills were actually toying with the Pats**** and Belichick's defense.

That play was wide open in the SF game too but Allen threw that seeing eye laser to Davis on a post/in like 20 yards downfield perfectly placed over the LBs fingers and in front of tight coverage.

If Allen throws the ball to Smith on the wheel route he walks into the endzone...nobody was even on the same side of the field as he was if you watch an All-22 clip of the play.

Good to see they saw the same thing and cam back to it again amd got pretty much the same result...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

That play was wide open in the SF game too but Allen threw that seeing eye laser to Davis on a post/in like 20 yards downfield perfectly placed over the LBs fingers and in front of tight coverage.

If Allen throws the ball to Smith on the wheel route he walks into the endzone...nobody was even on the same side of the field as he was...

Good to see they saw the same thing and cam back to it again amd got pretty much the same result...

That's right! I remember seeing that too, and wondering why Allen didn't look for him. Completely wide open.

8 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Your latter point is one of the things I enjoy about not having fans: it’s interesting to actually be able to hear all of the calls. 

As for your first point, this is what I was waiting for since his rookie year. The intelligence, drive, desire, grit and physical prowess we knew was there...and now the processing is there. There is no ceiling for Josh, particularly if they keep the weapons around him. 

I love that we are able to hear all of the QB calls...my two favorites are Rodgers "Green 18...Green 18 Hut!"(which I have always loved and have been hearing for years) And Allen's "White 20...White 20 Hut!" Allen sounds like a Cane Corso making that call...

Mahomes long drawn out "Bluuueeeeee Eigggghhhhhtttyy....Bluuuuueeeee Eighhhhttyy" drives me crazy but I laugh at the same time...

Mariota's "White 80...White 80.." Made him sound like he was drunk haha

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Belichick slamming the phone down...we are seeing some amazing in game shots this year of teams that are frustrated with the Allen Conundrum

Maybe some with video skills can make a video of all of them. That would be awesome.

Something I've been paying close attention to this year is how calm Allen has been no matter the situation. I remember in the Houston playoff game last year you could see how frantic Allen was. He looked like a QB in shock.

If Allen can maintain that calm demeanor in the playoffs, I predict he will take this team to the Superbowl.

Edited by MJS

47 minutes ago, MJS said:

Maybe some with video skills can make a video of all of them. That would be awesome.

Something I've been paying close attention to this year is how calm Allen has been no matter the situation. I remember in the Houston playoff game last year you could see how frantic Allen was. He looked like a QB in shock.

If Allen can maintain that calm demeanor in the playoffs, I predict he will take this team to the Superbowl.

Part of that has to do with preparation and understanding.  Allen has without a doubt "leveled up" a couple times in his confidence in his ability to decode coverages both before the snap and afterwards.  Walking into a test or up to the podium knowing you're totally solid on the answers breeds calm.

Part of that has to do with having "A Guy".  Andy Reid said "everyone needs a guy.  Kelce is Pat's Guy."  Well, Allen has a guy now.  Diggs is Allen's guy, with increased comfort level on Beasley over the middle as "also My Guy".

Looking frantic to make something happen is what happens when the game plan's gone South, you don't know the answers to what you're seeing, and you're an Alpha Competitor who grew up in the game knowing it was all on your back if the team was gonna win.