The fallacy of establishing the run

WIDE LEFT

How many times over the years have we heard from the media, everyone from Carucci to Murphy to Brown etc, and including many past coaches, about the vital importance of establishing the run game. “Brings the defense in, opens up the passing game” was the mantra. I had always believed the opposite - that the passing game opens up the run game. I confess to wasting time calling in on occasion to Murphy show attempting to make this point. To no avail.  My main points were these; 1. every rule change over the last two decades favors the pass game over the run. 2. Our most successful teams, the Kelly era, ran a pass first offense. In fact Thurman Thomas benefited greatly from this, as many defenses would use an extra DB & sub out a linebacker. 3. Perhaps most frustrating of all, I would point out that many teams, when playing against us in recent years, would load the box from the very first play. As I would point out, the idea of establishing the run to bring the defense in was ludicrous- they were ALREADY THERE. But no, the wisdom persisted, must have that strong running game.

I never argue that the run game is not important, only that the pass game is way, way more important. The pass game should set up the run. The pass game is absolutely critical to offensive success, the run game is not. 
So along comes the 2020 Bills to absolutely shatter the run game myth. And all of a sudden the media has stopped barking about the “vital” run game. Read Carucci’s past years columns- virtually every week he would explain how the Bills “had to establish the run”. But now you never see that take in this years columns. Like much of the media - often wrong but never in doubt. It took Allen and the 2020 offense to finally demonstrate the obvious.

As one of the older folks around here, I am partial to the running game.  I think even in today's game, if you give me a strong O line on both sides of the ball, with a couple RB's that can pound the ball, I'd take my chances.  But your point is well taken.  When you have a weapon like Allen, with receivers like Diggs, you use them.

6 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

How many times over the years have we heard from the media, everyone from Carucci to Murphy to Brown etc, and including many past coaches, about the vital importance of establishing the run game. “Brings the defense in, opens up the passing game” was the mantra. I had always believed the opposite - that the passing game opens up the run game. I confess to wasting time calling in on occasion to Murphy show attempting to make this point. To no avail.  My main points were these; 1. every rule change over the last two decades favors the pass game over the run. 2. Our most successful teams, the Kelly era, ran a pass first offense. In fact Thurman Thomas benefited greatly from this, as many defenses would use an extra DB & sub out a linebacker. 3. Perhaps most frustrating of all, I would point out that many teams, when playing against us in recent years, would load the box from the very first play. As I would point out, the idea of establishing the run to bring the defense in was ludicrous- they were ALREADY THERE. But no, the wisdom persisted, must have that strong running game.

I never argue that the run game is not important, only that the pass game is way, way more important. The pass game should set up the run. The pass game is absolutely critical to offensive success, the run game is not. 
So along comes the 2020 Bills to absolutely shatter the run game myth. And all of a sudden the media has stopped barking about the “vital” run game. Read Carucci’s past years columns- virtually every week he would explain how the Bills “had to establish the run”. But now you never see that take in this years columns. Like much of the media - often wrong but never in doubt. It took Allen and the 2020 offense to finally demonstrate the obvious.

I remember as a kid, questioning the "run to set up the pass" thing for the same obvious reason of there already being 8 in the box what are we setting up?  We bash our head into that brick wall on first and second down, then pass into dime coverage on third and long, then punt.

If it was that obvious to a child, it must have been frustrating trying to convince set-in-their-ways radio talking heads.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsToast said:

Because it used to be true but the game evolved in both rule changes and in application. There are a bunch of these old mantras that no longer exist but were true in their day. 

Agree "establish the run" is not a myth. It is just way outdated. Same as the perception that Edmunds isn't a good MLB because he isn't a big hitter who can smash a running back. 1985 football. 2020 football is about offenses that pass and defenses that defend the pass. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Teams still need to show an ability and willingness to run the ball when the numbers in the box give the offense a big advantage.  Conversely, it doesn't make a lot of sense to run into a stacked box.  Defenses have to be forced to defend the entire field.  Occasional runs also slow down the pass rush and give o-linemen a competitive chance.  With all of the passing game rule changes in recent years, teams don't need to have 40 runs a game to be successful.  It's still a distinct advantage for a team to run the ball successfully in a four minute offense to close out a game to preserve a small lead.

I think it was more true for coaches like Tony Gungy who had his players master the basics so much that they could tell the other team what they were going to do and wouldn't be stopped.  He had his players skilled/strong enough that simple football worked for him.  

We were criticized for years for having simple playbooks, because our mediocre roster couldn't dominate the basics like that.  

If you don't have a good QB who can make all the throws getting the run game going is must.

The Bills never had a good QB from 2001 to 2017 we had noodle arm game managers and QB's that couldn't read a defence even if it was spelled out in crayon.

That all changed in 2018 and now our young QB has grown his game and can win it through the air so the defence backs up and viola the run lanes open.

So yes your right...now but in years past that game plan was not really an option.

35 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Unless you are Baker Mayfield or Ryan Tannehill because they cannot function in a pass first offense and need a strong running game to help them out.

You need to run well for 2 situations:

1. QB/offense can't hit everything. This is not a problem for us but at least half the league has it.

2. Manage clock/control game when needed. This is important to everyone eventually. 

Running is now basically all about #2

I think using the pass to set up the run is a great strategy, as long as you have the horses and the playbook to do it. It requires WRs that can get quick separation, it requires a good pass-blocking OL, and it requires a QB that can read the field, make the right decision, and get the ball to the receivers quickly and accurately. And it also requires a strategy that works not only for short passes, but mid- and long passes as well, otherwise defenses can just squat on the short routes and disrupt it all.

We've seen over the years that without all of those components, it's not the easiest to do. When you've got all of it, like we seem to now, it's nearly unstoppable.

Once Brown is back (and if Beasley is healthy), we'll start to see more 4-WR sets, spreading things out, and giving the offense all sorts of options, especially in the running game. And it will work because Allen has the tools and experience now to run it effectively, read the defense, and make the right call. It all works together, but it's best when you have all of the ingredients.

It's probably more complex than establishing a running game to set up the pass, but much more effective when you've got it going.

Edited by Rubes