Restaurants - who has closed due to the pandemic that you will forever miss?

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Now to go completely off topic, my other pet peeve, and this existed before Covid, is digital TV ordering menus  These are often used in breweries. They are often hard to read and change every 10 seconds before you have the chance to read through them. I always ask for a paper menu but depending on the place they may not have it.  This is also frustrating in fast food joints where the menu flips so often you never get to take it in. 

What makes this worse is that business will soon this as reducing waste or going green. However, it’s really just a cost savings that angers customers IMO. 

I have never seen digital TV ordering menus you are right restaurants like supermarkets will use

It reminds me of supermarkets which they say they are doing it for customers while they are cutting staff.

I'd tell them please give me a paper menu cannot see digital one and if they refused I'd tell them it is violation of law for handicapped which includes vison.

If they still refused I'd record person(s) names who stated none were available with them watching and tell them I will file complaint under Title III as well as let press and BBB know about it.  I have made complaints in past.

Now to go completely off topic, my other pet peeve, and this existed before Covid, is digital TV ordering menus  These are often used in breweries. They are often hard to read and change every 10 seconds before you have the chance to read through them. I always ask for a paper menu but depending on the place they may not have it.  This is also frustrating in fast food joints where the menu flips so often you never get to take it in. 

What makes this worse is that business will soon this as reducing waste or going green. However, it’s really just a cost savings that angers customers IMO. 

I have never seen digital TV ordering menus you are right restaurants like supermarkets will use

It reminds me of supermarkets which they say they are doing it for customers while they are cutting staff.

I'd tell them please give me a paper menu cannot see digital one and if they refused I'd tell them it is violation of law for handicapped which includes vison.

If they still refused I'd record person(s) names who stated none were available with them watching and tell them I will file complaint under Title III as well as let press and BBB know about it.  I have made complaints in past.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:46 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They’re not good.  We get them sometimes and then throw them in the oven for a bit to crisp them up.  I make my own wings when I want good wings.  Problem is, it stinks up the house for days.  I need to get an outdoor propane burner.  

I air fry mine, not much of a smell

On 12/31/2020 at 12:46 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They’re not good.  We get them sometimes and then throw them in the oven for a bit to crisp them up.  I make my own wings when I want good wings.  Problem is, it stinks up the house for days.  I need to get an outdoor propane burner.  

You might be better off getting an induction plate.  No open flame like propane so no oil flame ups and easy to set and forget.  Plus they are reasonably priced.

On 12/30/2020 at 5:12 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

There was one place left in town with decent wings.  One place.  Closed permanently due to COVID.  Now I have to either drive 30 minutes or resort to (gulp) Tops wings 😒😞

I strongly recommend investing in an air fryer. No one has good wings around me where I live now, so I make my own, and they turn out awesome. Just buy pre-cut chicken wings, air fry them up to be nice and crispy on the outside, and toss them in mixture of Original Franks and butter. Dip in blue cheese and wash down with some Blue. Problem solved.

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I strongly recommend investing in an air fryer. No one has good wings around me where I live now, so I make my own, and they turn out awesome. Just buy pre-cut chicken wings, air fry them up to be nice and crispy on the outside, and toss them in mixture of Original Franks and butter. Dip in blue cheese and wash down with some Blue. Problem solved.

Do you use the bagged frozen wings or fresh ones?  I’ve had mixed experiences with air fried foods.  My sister made some chicken tenders and friend that came out nice.  I’ve had bad air fried wings though.  They were probably cooked wrong.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:38 AM, Augie said:

If there were just two items on the menu, I’d have to give this one some thought. I’ve had some bad wings lately and have kind of given up on even trying. Why is it so hard? I’ve had GREAT wings at a tail gate. Why is it a professional chef in an actual restaurant can not get this right? 

Not sure how Tops offers them, but it shouldn’t be so hard! Publix has decent fried chicken, but wings need to be fresh and crispy. I won’t touch their wings. 

Find a decent Taco Mac near you and get em double extra crispy. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Do you use the bagged frozen wings or fresh ones?  I’ve had mixed experiences with air fried foods.  My sister made some chicken tenders and friend that came out nice.  I’ve had bad air fried wings though.  They were probably cooked wrong.

I've only used fresh wings, not frozen. I'm lucky enough to have a Wegmans nearby and they always have fresh pre-cut wings available. I rinse them all in the sink first and then pat them dry. Then I cook them in the air fryer (necessary times and temps can really vary depending on the model). You have to be careful to not put too many in at once if your air fryer isn't big enough. It's key that you allow for air to circulate all around the wing to get the crispiness, so sometimes I just make two batches back-to-back to ensure that I only have one layer of wings in the fryer basket at once. I also always make sure to flip them halfway through.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.