Every QB MVP stat for the last 10 years and where Josh Allen is now

PrimeTime101

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Derrick Henry for MVP? I mean, where are the Titans without Derrick Henry?

No a RBs WAR is not going to be as big as a QBs. You can replace Derrick Henry and still be fine but I doubt they would be a playoff team without Tannehill.

Given that the award is decided at the end of the regular season I highly doubt Josh will win. He is the underdog and let’s be honest - he looked pedestrian against KC earlier this year. If he had won in a shootout no punt sort of game against KC his odds of winning would be much better.

If MVP is purely a stat award, lets name it that.  Most Valuable Player...to his team, to his league, what exactly is the criteria?   I have heard people in the media pontificate and it is honestly not clear there is good criteria but the consensus seems to be the most valuable player to his teams success for the year.  With any of the players mentioned (Mahomes, Rodgers, Henry, Wilson, Allen, etc) they are all super critical to their teams success.  Taking other positions out of it, I think the Bills, Chiefs. Hawks and Packers all have worse records if they did not have their QB's.  Which one is most important to their team, which one affects the win-loss record the most?  That is a guessing game so that is where it comes down to stats to compare these players.  Personally I think Josh falls short when you see what Rodgers and Mahomes have done.  I don't think it is disrespect to say that, it does not mean all that much at the end of the day.  We will see which team raises the Lombardi soon enough.  Rodgers output with the lack of turnovers does is where my (unbiased) vote would go.

9 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just to give you an idea where Josh is compared to the last 9 QB's that got MVP in the last 10 years.

2010. Tom Brady 3900 Yards, 65.9% Completion, 36 TD, 4 INT, 117.2 Rate

2011. Aaron Rodgers 4643 Yards, 68.3% Completion, 45 TD, 6 INT, 122.5 Rate

2013. Peyton Manning 5477 Yards, 68.3% Completion, 55 TD, 10 INT, 115.1 Rate

2014. Aaron Rodgers 4381 Yards, 65.6% Completion, 38 TD, 5 INT, 112.2 Rate

2015. Cam Newton 3837 Yards, 59.8% Completion, 35 TD, 10 INT, 99.4 Rate Rushing 636 yards, 10 TD----------------*45 total TD

2016. Mat Ryan 4944 Yards, 69.9% Completion, 38 TD, 7 INT, 117.1 Rate 

2017. Tom Brady 4577 Yards, 66.3% Completion, 32TD, 8 INT 117.2 Rate

2018. Patrick Mahomes 5097 Yards, 66.3% Completion, 50 TD, 12 INT 113.8 Rate Rushing 272 Yards, 2 TD  52 total

2019. Lamar Jackson 3127 yards, 66.1% Completion, 36 TD, 6 INT, 113.3 Rate Rushing 1206 Yards 7TD ************** 4333 total yards 43 total TD

2020 Josh Allen 4320 Yards, 69.1 Completion, 34 TD, 9 INT, 106.4 Rate Rushing 418, 8TD ==================== 4738 total Yards 42 total TD 1 Reception TD = 43 total

So more total yards then Lamar last year, about the same TD, little less Rate, more INT. 

To me... You have apples in what Lamar did last year and orange in what Mahomes did the year before.  I also see how close Josh is to cams year in 2015

so bottom line.. Compare and tell me what years Josh is better this year compared to that year? I also feel Josh's Injury affected him this year but this topic is just based on where Josh stands.. not excuses.. not MVP topic.

Thoughts.

Looking at all those stats shows me Allen still has room to grow, he has not reached his ceiling yet and realistically he can do better than he has this year.

A little off topic, but looking up some stats related to this:

1. Brees has exceeded 5,000 yards 5x?  Sick.  Considering what Josh's 4300 looks like, must have been fun to be a Saints fan. 

2. Love this one - Most yards passing in a game is still from 1951:  Norm Van Brocklin with 544 yards.  NEVER would have guessed that.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Given that the award is decided at the end of the regular season I highly doubt Josh will win. He is the underdog and let’s be honest - he looked pedestrian against KC earlier this year. If he had won in a shootout no punt sort of game against KC his odds of winning would be much better.

You wanna talk about the game Rogers played against Tampa he looked like Nathan Peterman 

I think the real thing to evaluate is where do you believe each team is at without their presumptive candidate. I think the Chiefs without Mahomes would still be a .500 team. The Packers without Rodgers are sunk just like the Bills without Allen. I don't know if the Bills would have 4 wins right now, especially with the way the defense was playing for the first 9 or 10 weeks of the season. It would be the same with GB because Rodgers wins no matter who his WR's are out there. Yes, he has Adams. But even when Adams was out they were still winning games. The numbers for all three of the frontrunners are fantastic, but to me it's flip a coin between Rodgers and Allen because they both mean that much to the franchise's success as a whole. 

13 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just to give you an idea where Josh is compared to the last 9 QB's that got MVP in the last 10 years.

2010. Tom Brady 3900 Yards, 65.9% Completion, 36 TD, 4 INT, 117.2 Rate

2011. Aaron Rodgers 4643 Yards, 68.3% Completion, 45 TD, 6 INT, 122.5 Rate

2013. Peyton Manning 5477 Yards, 68.3% Completion, 55 TD, 10 INT, 115.1 Rate

2014. Aaron Rodgers 4381 Yards, 65.6% Completion, 38 TD, 5 INT, 112.2 Rate

2015. Cam Newton 3837 Yards, 59.8% Completion, 35 TD, 10 INT, 99.4 Rate Rushing 636 yards, 10 TD----------------*45 total TD

2016. Mat Ryan 4944 Yards, 69.9% Completion, 38 TD, 7 INT, 117.1 Rate 

2017. Tom Brady 4577 Yards, 66.3% Completion, 32TD, 8 INT 117.2 Rate

2018. Patrick Mahomes 5097 Yards, 66.3% Completion, 50 TD, 12 INT 113.8 Rate Rushing 272 Yards, 2 TD  52 total

2019. Lamar Jackson 3127 yards, 66.1% Completion, 36 TD, 6 INT, 113.3 Rate Rushing 1206 Yards 7TD ************** 4333 total yards 43 total TD

2020 Josh Allen 4320 Yards, 69.1 Completion, 34 TD, 9 INT, 106.4 Rate Rushing 418, 8TD ==================== 4738 total Yards 42 total TD 1 Reception TD = 43 total

So more total yards then Lamar last year, about the same TD, little less Rate, more INT. 

To me... You have apples in what Lamar did last year and orange in what Mahomes did the year before.  I also see how close Josh is to cams year in 2015

so bottom line.. Compare and tell me what years Josh is better this year compared to that year? I also feel Josh's Injury affected him this year but this topic is just based on where Josh stands.. not excuses.. not MVP topic.

Thoughts.

I appreciate you’re research.  I really do and you make a point.  With Allen, you have to consider 420 yards rushing and receiving in addition to the 4320.  It’s a huge part of his game and why he so dangerous, but you also have to consider last year Lamar’s passing at 3127 passing, and 1206 rushing.  He’s an anomaly.

im not disagreeing with you at all.  I’m just saying you have to look at everything.  Passing, Rushing and Receiving, TD to INT, and fumbles lost by the QB.  Think of it this way. Most people in retrospect would say Mahomes was truly a better QB than Lamar, but Lamar won, and Mahomes won MVP of the SB.

This is the 3rd time I’ll say it, but Brees never won MVP, but he won a SB, has more 70%+ completion years than just about everyone, and will be a good jacket after he retires.  I wouldn’t worry about it.  Again, appreciate the hard work you put into you’re research and you’re right there is an argument.  He repeats and makes it to the AFCC and plays well, and god for bud dare I say it a SB apprearance, or even the taboo wins, no one can deny him being the best QB in the NFL.

For the old guys, the future is so bright, we have to wear ....

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I can't answer for him, but I think the main thing they use for MVP is how well a guy plays compared to other candidates that same year.

Just the stats:

Mahomes 66.3% completions, 4740 yards, 38 TDs to 6 INTs and 108.2 passer rating

Rodgers 70.3% completions, 4059 yards, 44 DTs to 5 INTs and 119.4 passer rating. 

Again, Allen's playing at an elite level right now, but this year has produced a lot of insane offensive statistics. It's not fair to compare this year's stats with other years without accounting for that.

Kelly the Dog brings up a great point though. If the award is just the stats or 90% stats why even have the OPOY award. Seems a bit redundant.  Or is that now a de facto award that goes to the best offensive player that is not a QB? And of course the MVP now seems a de facto QB award.

Common sense would say the award should have some level of value to a teams overall success. The Packers have a dominant running game compared to the Chiefs and Bills. And they have played a much easier schedule. Rodgers, super efficient, but not asked to carry his team every week at anywhere near the same level Mahomes and Allen have been. This point does not seem to be factoring in at all in the discussion amongst the media. I do think at least a handful of voters will factor it in so I expect Allen to get a handful of votes.

But otherwise, I do tend to agree. It's just become which QB has the best stats on a team that has 12 + wins?

I am a big advocate for Co-MVP's. I mean if Allen were to win it you could easily make the case that Rodgers was snubbed as well. And vice versa.