Josh Allen is The next GREAT NFL Quarterback- Video from March 2019

I recall a thread from nearly two years ago before Josh's second season that had this video. Searched but couldn't find it. I don't know who the guy is that created the video other than that he is a Patriots fan. But damn if this guy was not right about Allen. Even more crazy that he saw this after Allen's rookie year! I mean a lot of us were still very high on Allen the way he finished his rookie year but we are Bills fans. This guy has no bias towards the Bills but saw this coming. Towards the end of the video he pretty much hints towards Allen being that "unicorn", a quarterback that the NFL has never seen before. 

Oh, and the 3 minute mark of the video is still my all time favorite JA play. And that game specifically was one where I was like "oh dang. this guy is going to be real good".

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The video is what I saw at the time, and I hoped and believed he would become a top-flight NFL quarterback.  I have always been an Allen believer.  He is the one I wanted pre-draft, and when I saw his compete level that first year I wanted a full pitcher of Kool-Aid.  But I can only pat myself on the back so much.  I must admit that never in my fondest dreams did I expect the command and accuracy he now routinely displays.  I never would have thought he would already break the TD record Jimbo did not set until he was already with the Bills five years (and in pro ball for 7).  Sure, Allen was gifted tremendous talent from above.  But so was Jamarcus Russell.  I cannot believe his development, and I have the greatest possible respect for how he has dedicated himself to his team, City and craft.  It seems to me impossible that he is 24 years old.  Way to go Josh, way to go . . . .  

Were any other posters at Allen's first preseason game?  I will never forget what I think was his first play - like a 60 yard rocket to Robert Foster, incomplete.  But it did not look like other NFL passes at all.  Relatively low trajectory fastball for what seemed 60 yards.  Probably not the best kind of ball for completion, but holy cow was it impressive.  The whole crowd (which was modest, at best) was buzzing.  For an incompletion.

Found a link.  The pass I am referring to is his first here:

Every Josh Allen pass | Preseason Week 1 (buffalobills.com)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I remember that video. I know the narrative around Josh Allen is that he is a completely different QB this year. I think that is hogwash. Allen always showed signs of what he could become. The question was if he could actually put all the pieces together or not. And this year he did.

• Like (+1) 1

Spot on & while I knew nothing except that he was the Bills pick @ #7 I had to believe and I did .  Yep patting myself on the back.

I saw all that year one and commented on the lousy receiving core and lack of weapons (oh & the drops too).

The only thing holding him back year's 1-2 was McD, which I said over & over (oh & yes Daboll too).

As soon as they let him throw everything changed (if only they started that process earlier😉).

He's a new breed. Like every great QB rolled into one.

Okay......let's try not to get ahead of ourselves. 

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Spot on & while I knew nothing except that he was the Bills pick @ #7 I had to believe and I did .  Yep patting myself on the back.

I saw all that year one and commented on the lousy receiving core and lack of weapons (oh & the drops too).

The only thing holding him back year's 1-2 was McD, which I said over & over (oh & yes Daboll too).

As soon as they let him throw everything changed (if only they started that process earlier😉).

Based on the results, we can only assume they did everything perfectly. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He's a new breed. Like every great QB rolled into one.

Okay......let's try not to get ahead of ourselves. 

Hard not to get ahead of ourselves when even stock analysts use him for comparisons "...he is expecting another "Josh Allen-like performance" from..."

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/4d54342b-a0aa-3947-93d7-4182b92941b9/microsoft-likely-to-beat-wall.html

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

I remember that video. I know the narrative around Josh Allen is that he is a completely different QB this year. I think that is hogwash. Allen always showed signs of what he could become. The question was if he could actually put all the pieces together or not. And this year he did.

Totally agree. You could see signs of what was to come. Back then the execution was erratic. But you can never bet against people driven to succeed. Josh has that drive to overcome every doubter. He's done it his entire life. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Josh is so good, he's making Financial news: https://finance.yahoo.com/m/4d54342b-a0aa-3947-93d7-4182b92941b9/microsoft-likely-to-beat-wall.html

But there are still his doubters. Who is Nick Wright and who's mom dressed him for this segment? https://sports.yahoo.com/nick-wright-bills-more-consistency-162156242.html

Edited by Draconator

Never thought he would be as good as he has been this year.

I thought he would be good, while still playing hero ball and getting burned a few times a game. 

He really has taken his game into an elite level by doing the little things (reading defenses, making the right throw, taking what the defense gives you).

2 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Were any other posters at Allen's first preseason game?  I will never forget what I think was his first play - like a 60 yard rocket to Robert Foster, incomplete.  But it did not look like other NFL passes at all.  Relatively low trajectory fastball for what seemed 60 yards.  Probably not the best kind of ball for completion, but holy cow was it impressive.  The whole crowd (which was modest, at best) was buzzing.  For an incompletion.

This right here. In 2018 I knew nothing other than scouting reports and a few college highlights, but to see some of the throws even on TV, they looked nothing like what I'd heard about inaccurate, scattershot, etc. They looked like high level NFL throws.

In those first 2018 preseason games he was zipping these little find-a-space-and-present-the-numbers zone beaters on short routes, and the defense just couldn't react to the velocity and the ball was generally right on the torso. That got my interest. But there was one TD in the red zone, in the second game where Josh hopped to the side to avoid a free rusher and then climbed the pocket and zipped a dart in for a TD to a crosser at the back of the end zone, and that's when I was sold.

Edited by Ralonzo

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

But there are still his doubters. Who is Nick Wright and who's mom dressed him for this segment? https://sports.yahoo.com/nick-wright-bills-more-consistency-162156242.html

This guy is contorting harder and harder to make his point. "If you take Allen's worst 4 games of the season he'd be the lowest rated QB, therefore he is inconsistent." This is an incredibly ignorant take for someone who apparently gets paid to do this. Apply that standard to Mahomes or Rodgers, and you get the same result. Even a fool knows at some point you should stop digging deeper the hole you got yourself into but not this chapassed derelict Nick Wright (who still hasn't adequately proven to me that he is not in fact Josh's itinerant son).

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Josh is so good, he's making Financial news: https://finance.yahoo.com/m/4d54342b-a0aa-3947-93d7-4182b92941b9/microsoft-likely-to-beat-wall.html

Remember there are guys that have  hated on Brady and Lebron over the last 10 years. It's actually a pretty good achievement that there are a handful of haters that feel they need to constantly remind us that Allen is no Mahomes yet. Just being in that conversation and having someone so strongly denounce Allen tells the truth of the story of where Allen truly is. 

3 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I watched every snap of that game, and the thing that made me a believer was his first TD pass to Ray Ray McCloud. Up until that point he made several horrendous plays, but then threw this absolute laser so fast I couldn't track the ball in real time. It flew through what appeared to me like an impossible window between two defenders and the refs threw their arms up for a TD. I was like Holy ****!

The more I watched from that moment I saw him able to make impossible throws, and screw up some gimme throws. He also had horrendous drop from his wr's his rookie year on like 10% of his passes. 

My position since that TD to Ray Ray in his first preseason game, and then watching his Wyoming highlights, was that he is not an inaccurate QB because he can make throws that other people don't attempt and require immaculate accuracy. It's that he was inconsistent with his accuracy. Then Cover 1 and others went to work demonstrating the inconsistency in his footwork. So no, you can't teach accuracy, but you can teach consistency. That's why Josh isn't an outlier. His ability to play up to his level of talent was always going to be mental, about the game slowing down for him, his ability to read and diagnose coverages, and his ability to develop consistency in his mechanics.