So the robots are about ready to take things from here

ocemur

41 minutes ago, ocemur said:

I can't even be sure this is real, but it does come from the Boston Dynamics official YouTube account. Maybe we'll make good pets.

If they can trim that thing down to get into a tuxedo or a nice suit I’d be curious how much it would cost to get me off the hook come wedding season! 

• Like (+1) 1

I assume it's fake. The other robots aren't in the background, but then all of a sudden roll into the shot.

Not that it takes away from robotic breakthroughs. They're doing crazy things already. Once they tap into the network with any kind of free will, things could get harry.......or.....I guess less harry....if the human race goes extinct.

A number of these Boston Dynamics videos are fakes.

Don't know about this one.

But the underlying point remains valid.

I was listening to a good discussion the other day about artificial intelligence.

One of the researchers pointed out that once we get something that works and works well, it will be able to learn and progress so quickly that, for example, it might be capable of solving Nobel Prize type scientific problems like every 5 or 10 seconds.

The people who are working on this assure me  it will happen in our lives.  Maybe even in 20 years, some suggest as little as 10.

They tend to be biased and over-optimistic in my opinion, but still.  It's coming.  Just a question of time.

AI and genetic breakthroughs that massively increase human lifespan are coming and relatively soon.  2 of the biggest human advances, ever, and we're close to that point in time right now. 

Kind of exciting in a way.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

A number of these Boston Dynamics videos are fakes.

Don't know about this one.

But the underlying point remains valid.

I was listening to a good discussion the other day about artificial intelligence.

One of the researchers pointed out that once we get something that works and works well, it will be able to learn and progress so quickly that, for example, it might be capable of solving Nobel Prize type scientific problems like every 5 or 10 seconds.

The people who are working on this assure me  it will happen in our lives.  Maybe even in 20 years, some suggest as little as 10.

They tend to be biased and over-optimistic in my opinion, but still.  It's coming.  Just a question of time.

AI and genetic breakthroughs that massively increase human lifespan are coming and relatively soon.  2 of the biggest human advances, ever, and we're close to that point in time right now. 

Kind of exciting in a way.

I can see the genetic stuff happening even though I don’t understand it.  It would be a real double edged sword.  

I’m not so sure on the sentient tech though.  Machine learning?  Yup.  Solving massive problems?  Yes but I’m not sure they would be of all types.  What happens when a computer needs to develop hypotheses and make observations?  Without consciousness it doesn’t know where to look unless told.  We don’t understand our own consciousness enough to create it artificially IMO.  Hell, we aren’t even 100% sure our’s is real.  Artificial intelligence is one thing and has a lot of definitions/uses.  Artificial consciousness is far more complex.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:41 PM, ocemur said:

I can't even be sure this is real, but it does come from the Boston Dynamics official YouTube account. Maybe we'll make good pets.

Was really any other way 2020 could of ended?

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

genetic breakthroughs that massively increase human lifespan

The moment we do that we might be *****. I mean our population has already been exploding compound this on that and *****'s going to get real, real fast.

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Was really any other way 2020 could of ended?

The moment we do that we might be *****. I mean our population has already been exploding compound this on that and *****'s going to get real, real fast.

Well think about this for a second the human lifespan will only get longer for rich people. So no worry about the population with that, the biggest problem is the over breeding of the lower income.

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I doubt we’re ready for that yet.  Those things require too much power compared to the rovers.

"NASA is working on Mars Dog, a four-legged robot for Mars exploration - Inceptive Mind" https://www.inceptivemind.com/nasa-plans-mars-dog-four-legged-robot-mars-exploration/16798/?amp

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

"NASA is working on Mars Dog, a four-legged robot for Mars exploration - Inceptive Mind" https://www.inceptivemind.com/nasa-plans-mars-dog-four-legged-robot-mars-exploration/16798/?amp

Very cool and I have no doubt they are trying.  My guess though, is that it will be quite a while due mainly to power requirements.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.