Steelers officially playing backups vs Browns

Process

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Pretty good chance the Ravens get the 5 seed so that leaves Browns,Colts, Dolphins for 6 and 7 this must be strategic on Tomlins part that the Browns and Colts are easier opponents then the Dolphins 

maybe, i just think hes decided he values rest more than opponenet of #2 seed benefits. 

46 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

Best case scenario, I think the bills still need to win.

1)  KC

2) Buffalo

3) Pitts

4) Tenn

5) Balt

6) Browns

7) Miami/ Colts

I would like to avoid Balt and Tenn if possible. Let Tenn vs Balt battle it out, winner goes to KC.  KC can deal with winner, which I would assume is Balt.  I'd take 2 games against Pits, Miami, Browns, or Colts.

I just saw this:

BUF W, PIT W: Dolphins
BUF W, PIT L: Colts
BUF L, PIT L: Browns
BUF L, PIT W: Ravens

Again I think we need to get Balt into the number 5 slot, avoid possible Bills VS Balt or Tenn match up, I know don't if that out weight the risk of injury Allen, Diggs, Beasly, White, Milano. Edwards. White. Hughes?

Edited by clearwater cadet
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

I just saw this:

BUF W, PIT W: Dolphins
BUF W, PIT L: Colts
BUF L, PIT L: Browns
BUF L, PIT W: Ravens

Again I think we need to get Balt into the number 5 slot, avoid possible Bills VS Balt or Tenn match up, I know don't if that out weight the risk of injury Allen, Diggs, Beasly, White, Milano. Edwards. White. Hughes?

This is sort of half the equation. The titans and ravens games will go a long way to deciding who we play. I think we want those two teams to win in order to avoid them. 

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

Your last sentence is the key I thInk. 

Need all all players playing at top efficiency. 

How often have have we seen a team with home field, everything wrapped up, rest starters and lose their first playoff game.?

i think we want to keep the core sharp.  Pending minor injury, bad field conditiOne, I'd play starters 1-2 quarters to keep them sharp, then put in backups. 

Yes, it's an injury risk.  But getting stale is also a risk. 

We are on an amazing roll.  No reason to rest anyone.  Our O line blocks well for Josh.  We need to keep firing.  Don't change anything.  We can continue how we finished last nite, and can rest Josh by late in the 3rd qtr.  Going into the playoffs with another win feels better.  These guys aren't china dolls.  The will be fine.  McDermott needs to send a message to the Fish, and the rest of the league.  We are taking no prisoners.  We want the second seed.  And do not get in our way!! 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is sort of half the equation. The titans and ravens games will go a long way to deciding who we play. I think we want those two teams to win in order to avoid them. 

Me thinks scenario two is most likely.

Ravens have 5th seed vs. Titans:

Scenario 1:

• Bills beat Patriots in Week 16, and
  • Ravens beat Bengals, and
  • Bills beat Dolphins, and
  • Jaguars beat Colts

Scenario 2:

• Ravens beat Bengals, and
  • Bills beat Dolphins, and
  • Titans beat Texans, and
  • Colts beat Jaguar

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm amazed at how many here want us to play the 1s against Miami.

We have a genuine shot at going on a run THIS YEAR and "home field advantage" has never meant LESS.

One serious injury to a key player in that Miami game and the entire run could be jeopardized.

We need all our top weapons firing at 100% throughout the playoffs, on offense and defense.

For me it's less about seeding and more about keeping this momentum rolling. The Bills are peaking at the right time and I wouldn't want to mess with our groove. 

The Steelers are more experienced (read: old) and Ben certainly looks like he could use the week off. If the Bills have anyone nursing nagging injuries I'm fine with resting them, but I want to see Allen and Diggs playing until (unless) the game is out of reach. 

You can't live in constant fear of injuries. Players can get injured in practice or even non-football activities. We can't put Allen in bubble wrap and tell him not to move until a playoff game. 

17 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yes that's assuming they both win, but both are favored, I think it come down to a Balt win and miami loss.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You think Matt Barkley can lead the team to victory over a desperate Dolphins team? 

Josh Allen is the offense. Barkley is awful..... how do people not see this?

barkley and foster and co. CRUSHED the jets a few years back. He is a backup - i do think he could do just enough to win

Whether McDermott rests the starters is up to him and his team.

I will go along with whatever they decide.

Personally I think Sean will start them.

The Steelers on the other hand are in a completely different state of mind.

1.  Ben is old and hasn't had time off in a long while.

2.  They have played poorly and if not for one half of football they would be in a complete tailspin.

3.  If they started Ben and PIT played bad and lost to the Browns it would continue the doubt.  Starting Rudolph gives them an out.

4.  Even if they won with Ben they still could be the 3rd seed so I think that is not extremely important to them.

While it's smart for them to rest Ben the Bills are in a different situation.

FWIW

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

I do if Tua is playing the entire game. 

Brian Flores has referred to Ryan Fitzpatrick as his "relief pitcher."  He's not playing by the normal coaching rules, and is not concerned with hurting his starter's confidence by benching him.  If Tua is playing poorly with the playoffs on the line, there is absolutely no doubt that Fitz will be replacing him.

The Dolphins are a good team, and they will be desperate.  This is also a division matchup.  I could see this being a close game with our starters playing the entire way.  If we play Matt Barkley and our backups the majority of the game, points are going to be tough to come by.  I really don't think the Bills will emerge with a victory in that scenario. 

Sean McDermott and the coaching staff simply need to decide what is more important:

-  Going into the playoffs with an extra bye week, and removing the risk of losing a key player to injury.  

-  Going into the playoffs with continued momentum and a 6 game winning streak.

-  Homefield advantage in the event we play the Steelers again.

-  The chance someone else knocks off the Chiefs and we avoid playing them altogether.

Personally, I would lean towards playing the backups and going into the postseason as healthy as possible.  I don't think we lose any momentum by sitting our top guys for a single game.  That seems to happen when teams rest starters in Week 17 AND get a first round bye.  Not to mention, coming out flat against the Dolphins would pose a bigger risk of losing our edge going into the playoffs.

Considering that Cleveland is in the same position as Miami, I also find it unlikely that Pittsburgh wins with Mason Rudolph under center.  So we could end up with the #2 seed regardless of what happens.

Finally, I don't think anyone is anyone knocking off the Chiefs in the Divisional Round.  Anything else is probably wishful thinking.  The road to the Super Bowl goes through Arrowhead.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Pretty good chance the Ravens get the 5 seed so that leaves Browns,Colts, Dolphins for 6 and 7 this must be strategic on Tomlins part that the Browns and Colts are easier opponents then the Dolphins 

Browns and dolphins are pretty similar in talent level but i would want to play the team that needs to rely on a closer to come in and finish the game at qb every time Colts seem like theyre a tier above Miami/Cleveland 

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Brian Flores has referred to Ryan Fitzpatrick as his "relief pitcher."  He's not playing by the normal coaching rules, and is not concerned with hurting his starter's confidence by benching him.  If Tua is playing poorly with the playoffs on the line, there is absolutely no doubt that Fitz will be replacing him.

The Dolphins are a good team, and they will be desperate.  This is also a division matchup.  I could see this being a close game with our starters playing the entire way.  If we play Matt Barkley and our backups the majority of the game, points are going to be tough to come by.  I really don't think the Bills will emerge with a victory in that scenario. 

Sean McDermott and the coaching staff simply need to decide what is more important:

-  Going into the playoffs with an extra bye week, and removing the risk of losing a key player to injury.  

-  Going into the playoffs with continued momentum and a 6 game winning streak.

-  Homefield advantage in the event we play the Steelers again.

-  The chance someone else knocks off the Chiefs and we avoid playing them altogether.

Personally, I would lean towards playing the backups and going into the postseason as healthy as possible.  I don't think we lose any momentum by sitting our top guys for a single game.  That seems to happen when teams rest starters in Week 17 AND get a first round bye.  Not to mention, coming out flat against the Dolphins would pose a bigger risk of losing our edge going into the playoffs.

Considering that Cleveland is in the same position as Miami, I also find it unlikely that Pittsburgh wins with Mason Rudolph under center.  So we could end up with the #2 seed regardless of what happens.

Finally, I don't think anyone is anyone knocking off the Chiefs in the Divisional Round.  Anything else is probably wishful thinking.  The road to the Super Bowl goes through Arrowhead.

Id give Tennessee/Baltimore a shot against kc but I think pit is gonna screw it up for us and lose to Cleveland and we'll get stuck with ten/Baltimore in round 2 after beating indy and kc will get Cleveland.  I wouldve loved getting indy then pit

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Diggs has a good chance to become best in receptions and receiving yards. Wil he sit on the bench looking how Hopkins taking him over? Diggs is very competitive, but team first

I think Diggs has like 9 more receptions than Hopkins RN. Even if he sits, he could still beat him 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

You think Matt Barkley can lead the team to victory over a desperate Dolphins team? 

Josh Allen is the offense. Barkley is awful..... how do people not see this?

I think you don't invest in a good backup qb unless you think you have a guy that can actually take you somewhere in the playoffs if they have to step in so by definition our own organization doesn't think matt Barkley could beat anyone 🤣