Run D

dbfla10

54 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Frazier / Mc D  came up with a scheme last year that held them to 188 yds on  33 carries or 3.6 YPC.  Believe they could do same again 

even when the Bills D was playing like trash earlier in the year, they have been able to scheme teams to take away their 1 strength. They did it against KC (stopping passing game) and Tenn (stopping Henry).

if we have to play Baltimore— which i dread of any team— I think bills will come up with a way to really limit the run game. The key will be containing Lamar scrambling when he is back throwing and Andrews over the middle in the pass game, and making sure we can score points on O. 

I don't have a problem with the run D, this issue is usually 1 or 2 bad runs given up in the last 5 or 6 games that skew the stats.  Last night it was a 29 yd run by Sony Michel and a 28 yd run by JJ Taylor.  If you turn those 57yds into what should have been a  5-6 yd gain at most then the Pats would've had about a 100 yds.  If they  can eliminate those bad plays they should be fine

19 minutes ago, Jester said:

Not going to lie. I’ve always been a worry wart but our  Run D scares me. Derrick Henry scares me. 

I agree King Henry is dangerous but it's interesting that he didn't do great in Green Bay with the weather but it could be the Titans fell behind early. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I agree King Henry is dangerous but it's interesting that he didn't do great in Green Bay with the weather but it could be the Titans fell behind early. 

Heck with Green Bay,  the Bills kept Henry in check in the game we lost..  He only had 57 yds on 19 carries.  The turnovers killed us in that game.  If they keep playing like they are now I'm not concerned.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Yes. 

The one team I have zero interest in seeing the Bills play in the playoffs is the Ravens. They play exactly the kind of game that the Bills Defensive Line has had tremendous problems stopping. 

But they did stop them to a large extent.  Last year the Bills defense wilted under Lamars  three passing TDs

Just now, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

Heck with Green Bay,  the Bills kept Henry in check in the game we lost..  He only had 57 yds on 19 carries.  The turnovers killed us in that game.  If they keep playing like they are now I'm not concerned.

Being jerked around with scheduling all week.

Josh injured and in a shoulder brace.

Bad turnovers right out of the gate.

No Tre White.

The rematch wont be like the first game at all.

Just now, ganesh said:

But they did stop them to a large extent.  Last year the Bills defense wilted under Lamars  three passing TDs

We were still in it on the last play when John Brown got out-muscled for a ball. That wont happen this year with Diggs and Davis.

Most of the AFC playoff teams have a better running attack than Buffalo.  Baltimore, Cleveland, KC, Tenn...  but hey, i recall when the Bills led the league in rushing for 2 straight seasons and didn't make the playoffs!  I'd rather have an offense that can break off some chunk plays and score at any moment.  

I think hard running and play action teams like Tennessee and Cleveland are tougher match ups for Buffalo than some of the other possible opponents, sure. 

But worried about run D? In 2020? Nope. A team beating us by running has to play almost the perfect game in 2020. The Giants didn't just run in that Superbowl... they manhandled the Bills receivers in a way that would produce a flag fest in 2020.

Listen if a team can run for 150, suck up 40 minutes of time of possession, play a perfect bend not break defense that forces Buffalo to kick field goals on their drives, shorten the game and squeak out a win they will deserve to beat us and that is the NFL the talent gap is close enough that a "good" team playing a perfect game can beat a better team. But I am not going to sit here worrying about it. 

At the moment I am not worried about us playing anyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

No. This team is on a mission. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35420/buffalo-bills-defense-getting-healthy-hitting-stride-at-right-time

But the group is rounding into form at a good time this late in the season, holding the Pittsburgh Steelers to 224 total yards and 15 points during Buffalo's win in Week 14. Since Week 9, the Bills own the sixth-best run defense in the NFL and the second-best third-down defense.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Jester said:

Not going to lie. I’ve always been a worry wart but our  Run D scares me. Derrick Henry scares me. 

Derrick Henry got his fewest yards of the year against us when Edmunds was hurt and Milano was out. I wouldn't hold up that disastrous game as a template for good defense, but it was actually Tannehill who destroyed us in that game. When we beat them last year, Henry only had 78 yards. Just saying Bills have actually stopped some good runners this year (and been brutalized by some meh running games). Given that we're 12-3 and the two bad losses were against 10-win teams when we could never focus on either team and one of the teams had 16{?!} days rest, I'm gonna say our coaches are probably doing the right thing. 

Henry could hang 200 on us (he's been doing that a lot), but, again, he's been doing that a lot. Our Run D worries are overblown. It's not been a strength this year, but our team has been having a season for the ages, so maybe Frazier and McD and our inexplicable whipping boy defensive captain Edmunds know what they are doing. 

3 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

No. This team is on a mission. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35420/buffalo-bills-defense-getting-healthy-hitting-stride-at-right-time

But the group is rounding into form at a good time this late in the season, holding the Pittsburgh Steelers to 224 total yards and 15 points during Buffalo's win in Week 14. Since Week 9, the Bills own the sixth-best run defense in the NFL and the second-best third-down defense.”

it matters who they played since week 9....... 

arizona made this D look dumb against run. titans / kc same. its a good run team w a QB that can run

2 minutes ago, balln said:

arizona made this D look dumb against run. titans / kc same. its a good run team w a QB that can run

Run Forest run

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Frazier / Mc D  came up with a scheme last year that held them to 188 yds on  33 carries or 3.6 YPC.  Believe they could do same again 

And the Bills still lost that game. It’s not just about the yards. It’s the types of runs, and the timing of them. We saw what the RPO did to the Bills in the Cardinals game. How many times in that game and last years Ravens game did we see Jackson keep the ball and get a chunk? Or extending a drive on 3rd and medium on a run up the gut? The Bills need to scheme to stop the run, and that can be deadly against RPO heavy offenses. 

Id much rather Indy or Cleveland, than the Ravens and Jackson. Even though those teams run the ball well, their QB’s are not as an immediate or a threat like Baltimore. 

28 minutes ago, balln said:

Any given Sunday. Teams have bad days and good days, our two best linebackers have been hurt much of the season and we have WON every game in that period, many against good teams, save for that fluky game we lost in the last seconds. We could play the Dolphins in Wild Card Weekend and get gashed or play the Ravens and hold Lamar to 100 yards total. 

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

And the Bills still lost that game. It’s not just about the yards. It’s the types of runs, and the timing of them. We saw what the RPO did to the Bills in the Cardinals game. How many times in that game and last years Ravens game did we see Jackson keep the ball and get a chunk? Or extending a drive on 3rd and medium on a run up the gut? The Bills need to scheme to stop the run, and that can be deadly against RPO heavy offenses. 

Id much rather Indy or Cleveland, than the Ravens and Jackson. Even though those teams run the ball well, their QB’s are not as an immediate or a threat like Baltimore. 

And we've won 12 out of our 15 games this year and their losses have had many extenuating circumstances if that's your logic. They've stopped good rushers (see Josh Jacobs, Henry) and had problems against others.

I'd say I can't believe the level of anxiety over a 12-3 team that has dominated five games in a row going into the playoffs (we ARE that team right now), but I've been alive long enough to know that it was like this in the 1990s too. 

And Ravens are also a good example that you can be looking this good and lose right away in the playoffs. It happens. Right now, however, it would be foolish to change much about the way the team is playing. And people (not necessarily the two quoted here as i haven't seen them do this) need to lay off Tremaine Edmunds. His D has got it together right now. 

8 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Any given Sunday. Teams have bad days and good days, our two best linebackers have been hurt much of the season and we have WON every game in that period, many against good teams, save for that fluky game we lost in the last seconds. We could play the Dolphins in Wild Card Weekend and get gashed or play the Ravens and hold Lamar to 100 yards total. 

And we've won 12 out of our 15 games this year and their losses have had many extenuating circumstances if that's your logic. They've stopped good rushers (see Josh Jacobs, Henry) and had problems against others.

I'd say I can't believe the level of anxiety over a 12-3 team that has dominated five games in a row going into the playoffs (we ARE that team right now), but I've been alive long enough to know that it was like this in the 1990s too. 

And Ravens are also a good example that you can be looking this good and lose right away in the playoffs. It happens. Right now, however, it would be foolish to change much about the way the team is playing. And people (not necessarily the two quoted here as i haven't seen them do this) need to lay off Tremaine Edmunds. His D has got it together right now. 

OP asked who we don’t want to see in the playoffs. I don’t want to play any team who’s strength is the Bills weakness. 

Yes, the Bills are 12-3. Yes the defense is playing great right now. All that can change in the playoffs. I’d rather face a team that can become one dimensional (like Indy or Cleveland), than a team that can draw you into making mistakes and over pursue.

I think the Bills could beat the Ravens. It would be close and unpleasant, but I do think they could win. I’d rather see them play a team where their weaknesses wouldn’t be taken advantage of. 

And for the record, I’m a huge fan of Edmunds. 

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap
  • Like (+1) 1

I maybe wrong, but it seems like Harrison Phillips has been better since being inactive for a few games. I don’t think his knee was right at beginning of season. Run defense has been much better second half of the season. Defense is pretty healthy if they stay that way I’m not worried.

• Like (+1) 3