Should a losing team go to playoffs?

BananaB

Watching what is unfolding in the NFC East me and friends had a debate yesterday about this because I don’t think a team who can’t place a .500 record should be in playoffs. Maybe even a above .500 record. Definitely shouldn’t be hosting a game. 

You got teams in the AFC that might miss with 10 and 11 wins and a team going in NFC going in with 7. I understand the division rules but think there should be an exception if no one in a division can get to 8 wins.  Just a thought. 

• Like (+1) 5

I have no problem with it.  Washington beat the Steelers.  The Giants beat Seattle.  The Eagles beat the Saints. The Cowboys have won 3 in a row.  The NFC East is not that bad.  I wouldn't want to play Washington in the first round if the have a healthy QB.  They are a good football team.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Watching what is unfolding in the NFC East me and friends had a debate yesterday about this because I don’t think a team who can’t place a .500 record should be in playoffs. Maybe even a above .500 record. Definitely shouldn’t be hosting a game. 

You got teams in the AFC that might miss with 10 and 11 wins and a team going in NFC going in with 7. I understand the division rules but think there should be an exception if no one in a division can get to 8 wins.  Just a thought. 

These extreme cases are rare but happen occasionally.  No sense making up rules for this.  

• Like (+1) 6

8 divisions for 32 teams has always been stupid.  It creates imbalances.  Getting stuck in New England’s 4 team pod the past 20 years has severely disadvantaged the bills, Jets, and Dolphins.  Going to 3 wildcard teams is a nice start to correcting this.  Now, make the 4 team division winner finish .500 or better.  

• Like (+1) 2

I am perfectly fine with how it is now. The NFC could also have a .500 wild card team this year as well. The NFC is just not very strong.

I like that there is incentive to win your division. I would not change that.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

8 divisions for 32 teams has always been stupid.  It creates imbalances.  Getting stuck in New England’s 4 team pod the past 20 years has severely disadvantaged the bills, Jets, and Dolphins.  Going to 3 wildcard teams is a nice start to correcting this.  Now, make the 4 team division winner finish .500 or better.  

Sucking for 20 years disadvantaged the Bills.

I like 12 playoff teams...keep the regular season important....don't need to add more playoff teams to "correct" mediocrity. . 

• Like (+1) 3

I have no issue with it.  Don’t change the rules - if you want to correct it - change the divisions.  If you are keeping the divisions - then this will happen rarely.

You should not create rules to impact a rare thing - if you want to eliminate a losing team from making the playoffs you have no divisions or 8 teams in 2 divisions and adjust the schedule accordingly.

I have no issue with an NFC East team (or NFC west like a few years ago) winning a division with a losing record and getting the advantage of a division winner because that is how it is set up and fits the rules fairly over time.

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

No problems with a 9-7 wildcard or even a 7-9 wildcard.  Always had big problem with 7-9 division winner of 4 team pod getting in playoffs and also hosting a playoff game.  

I really don't see what the big deal is, honestly. If you want a home game you have to win your division. If you didn't win your division you don't get to complain.

Each team has their own destiny in their own hands. Some divisions are harder than others and I like that, actually.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The Bills, Jets, and Dolphins should have not sucked so bad. That's their problem.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I really don't see what the big deal is, honestly. If you want a home game you have to win your division. If you didn't win your division you don't get to complain.

Each team has their own destiny in their own hands. Some divisions are harder than others and I like that, actually.

Because sometimes winning your 4 team division is a case of being the tallest midget.  Or in the case of the Bills, Dolphins and Jets for 20 years, your competing for 2 wildcard spots against the rest of the conference while being saddled with 2 almost sure losses.  Same thing is gonna happen to Raiders, chargers, and Broncos.  

28 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Division winners with a losing record happens so infrequently I don't have any issue with the current rule. 

I'll also point out that if you applied a new rule to deny the NFC East winner a playoff berth this season, you'd end up with an extra 9-7 or 8-8 wild card team (Cardinals or Bears). 

Would having a 7-9 Washington Football Team make the playoffs over an 8-8 Chicago Bears team be some sort of travesty? I doubt even Bears fans would complain.