Week 17: Dolphins at Bills - Squish the Fish playoff hopes and dreams

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So last week mattered because it put us into the number 2 seed, but now the number 2 seed doesn't matter?

That doesn't make sense.

Now we're getting into these psychological statements in terms of "exorcising demons" when we're talking about pummelling the Pats last week when it was obvious the Bills were the better team going into the game.  So you care about that type of psychological statement combined with potentially losing the #2 seed that you thought was important last week, but not about the psychological statement of sweeping the AFC East for the first time in God knows how long, ending up 13-3, and assuring yourself of the #2 seed and 2 home playoff games?

And if you're saying we absolutely should want the #2 seed, then we absolutely should play our starters at the beginning of the game and scoreboard watch.  Even with Pittsburgh resting Big Ben, Cleveland is a Covid mess right now and they just lost to the Jets.  They could easily lose to Pittsburgh's backups and we could easily then lose the #2 seed that you said we should absolutely want.

Regarding the Beasley thing... no I don't really think he should have sat and I don't think we should have rested our starters against New England.  I was ecstatic watching that game and thought it was a big deal.  However, with all of the arguments everyone is having here about why we should rest our starters against the Dolphins in a "meaningless" game, that New England game was pretty much just as meaningless.

The logic doesn't make sense, Logic.

With regard to the first bolded statement: Yes, that would absolutely be my preference. Particularly now that the Bills will have fans in the stadium, I absolutely believe there's a benefit to having the second seed instead of the third seed. Until it becomes clear that either Cleveland is handling Pittsburgh or the Bills are handily beating the Phins, I'd like the Bills to actually be trying to win -- even if that means risking their starters. Sure, if Josh is getting hammered in the pocket repeatedly or something, you take him out, but generally, I'd prefer to win the game. 

As to the second bolded statement, I just disagree for reasons I've already mentioned. You can question my logic all you want. I don't really care.

Sweep the division, get to 13-3 for only the second time in team history, eliminate the Dolphins from the playoffs. If at any point it becomes clear that the game is well in hand or Cleveland is taking care of business, then call off the dogs. That's my preference. I absolutely understand the opinion that everyone should sit and the difference between the 2 and 3 seed doesn't matter, but I disagree.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SomeDudeAtHome said:

WTF does "fins up" even mean? I keep seeing this all over social media and it's the dumbest team slogan I have ever read. 

No idea bud. Their fans just keep posting it like it's their mantra. 

Kinda like " Go Bills!" I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

At a minimum, PLEASE Bills players if you have to do the after game meet and greet thing please everyone mask up don't be hugging anyone

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

not liking the knee DNP for Beasley or “illness” for Feliciano. 

I think it's safe to assume that the Felliciano illness is a case of the good old fashioned flu.  And while covid remains the concern you don't want a player with the flu doing even a limited practice.  The last thing you want is half a dozen sick Bills for Sunday's game.

As for Beasley he's focused 100% on rehab. 

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is about an extra home game for players and coaches with fans in the stands for the first home playoff games since the mid 90s.  It's not about 1st round opponent for players and coaches.  As fans, I would think we would all be happier seeing the Colts, Browns or Dolphins in round 1 rather than the Ravens.

But despite fan preference on 1st round draw, the benefit of an extra week at home for players and coaches and fans finally allowed in the stands for the 1st time all season should be reason enough for McDermott to want to ensure we lock up the #2 seed, which we have full control over.

C'mon guys... why is this getting so complicated?

giphy.gif

To be clear I want to win Sunday and lock up a #2 seed and get the extra home game. My main point was that I don't care who we face in round 1.  And the fact is I'm not convinced that Baltimore is all that much better then Cleveland or Indy.

Like others though I don't want the Bills going in and playing the starters the whole game as if they need to win.  I see them sort of going half way here.  Give the starters some playing time but not a whole game. And any starter who is even in the slightest dinged up sits for this game.

I also think the Steelers decision to sit Ben does impact McD's decision here.

As for the fans, I just don't care at this point.  I'm glad they're letting a few in and would love to see two home games but they should not figure into the Bills decision here.

Edited by CincyBillsFan

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

not liking the knee DNP for Beasley or “illness” for Feliciano. 

Beasley not practicing was to be expected given McD’s statement that he’s week to week. I wouldn’t expect him to practice at all this week. He may not even practice the first day next week and could be limited after that. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

With regard to the first bolded statement: Yes, that would absolutely be my preference. Particularly now that the Bills will have fans in the stadium, I absolutely believe there's a benefit to having the second seed instead of the third seed. Until it becomes clear that either Cleveland is handling Pittsburgh or the Bills are handily beating the Phins, I'd like the Bills to actually be trying to win -- even if that means risking their starters. Sure, if Josh is getting hammered in the pocket repeatedly or something, you take him out, but generally, I'd prefer to win the game. 

As to the second bolded statement, I just disagree for reasons I've already mentioned. You can question my logic all you want. I don't really care.

Sweep the division, get to 13-3 for only the second time in team history, eliminate the Dolphins from the playoffs. If at any point it becomes clear that the game is well in hand or Cleveland is taking care of business, then call off the dogs. That's my preference. I absolutely understand the opinion that everyone should sit and the difference between the 2 and 3 seed doesn't matter, but I disagree.

Losing to both Pats* and Dolphins, coupled with two Titans wins would have put us in 4th seed.  

I would love to try for the 2 seed but how bad would it look if we lose a key starter to play a home game in front of 6,000 fans.  Worst case,  a one hour flight to Pittsburgh doesn’t seem so bad.   

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I think coach MCD is going to play this game to win. I believe he plays the starters and depending on how things go with if the Bills build a big lead and also I think he will be keeping an eye on the Browns-Steelers, I think all of that will come into play to determine how long the starters stay in.

But in any event I fully expect coach to come out and play to win. He rested starters last year and I think (if I remember correctly) we could not improve the seeding win or lose. But this time #2 seed is up for grabs and I agree with you that it ABSOLUTELY matters to get that seed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I think coach MCD is going to play this game to win. I believe he plays the starters and depending on how things go with if the Bills build a big lead and also I think he will be keeping an eye on the Browns-Steelers, I think all of that will come into play to determine how long the starters stay in.

But in any event I fully expect coach to come out and play to win. He rested starters last year and I think (if I remember correctly) we could not improve the seeding win or lose. But this time #2 seed is up for grabs and I agree with you that it ABSOLUTELY matters to get that seed.

I think that makes sense with him keeping it a secret I mean why do that if you're just going to rest them anyway.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

No idea bud. Their fans just keep posting it like it's their mantra. 

Kinda like " Go Bills!" I guess.

Are they referencing dorsal or pectoral fins?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Thats funny stuff right there from a fan base that claims to have one of the best run organizations in the NFL.😆😆 

Whaaaaa? Who's claimed that? We had a ***** show going on for years before Flo and Co. Came to town. We were literally down there with Cleveland, and the jets. Tannenbaum straight up ruined us even worse than I thought could be possible since we were already ruined before that. 

That being said, we are sooooooooo much better than were were pre Coach Flo and co. Everyone is on the same page now. And its working. 

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Losing to both Pats* and Dolphins, coupled with two Titans wins would have put us in 4th seed.  

I would love to try for the 2 seed but how bad would it look if we lose a key starter to play a home game in front of 6,000 fans.  Worst case,  a one hour flight to Pittsburgh doesn’t seem so bad.   

Why does making sure we don't get the #4 seed matter?

People don't care about getting the #3 seed, but you cared about getting the #4 seed? In both instances we're guaranteed 1 home game only.

4 hours ago, SomeDudeAtHome said:

WTF does "fins up" even mean? I keep seeing this all over social media and it's the dumbest team slogan I have ever read. 

I don't know he is still a  minority owner  but Jimmy Buffet was a partial owner of the Dolphins.

Edited by Wacka

4 hours ago, SomeDudeAtHome said:

You know how dolphins are the only other mammals on earth to have sex for pleasure... well phins up means dolphins all up in dat ass for the win! 

Hope that answers your question! 🍺

12 minutes ago, Phinsfaninpeace said:

You know how dolphins are the only other mammals on earth to have sex for pleasure... well phins up means dolphins all up in dat ass for the win! 

Hope that answers your question! 🍺

An all-time classic...kudos to you, peacephin...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rhode Island Red said:

I just watched the YouTube highlight of Fitzy’s throw. After the kick was made, Fitzy grabbed Gisecki by the helmet and screamed in his face for at least five seconds, from a distance of about five inches.  No mask on either one of them. That’s a video clinic of how not to interact with anyone in 2020...

Lol that would be a close contact in my book...I bet they define it as like 15 maskless minutes or something silly 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Phinsfaninpeace said:

Whaaaaa? Who's claimed that? We had a ***** show going on for years before Flo and Co. Came to town. We were literally down there with Cleveland, and the jets. Tannenbaum straight up ruined us even worse than I thought could be possible since we were already ruined before that.

Not a poke, just curious if the Phins fan gestalt is really to still blame Tannehill?  I mean, he's QBing the league's #3 offense on points right now, and while he doesn't have huge passing attempts or yards, he is pretty durn efficient - 65% completions, 240 ypg, 12 ypc, 32 TD 7 INT.  He was pretty good last year too when he won comeback player of the year.  Which sort of says to me maybe it was some other factor amiss in Miami (I personally give it 4 letters ,starts with "G")