What to do with Dawson Knox

bobobonators

I guess I'm in a minority, but I love Knox.  He's a true football player - tough & resilient, and he has all of the skills you want in a TE.

Obviously, it's been a mix of good & bad so far, but this is a young player.  He made an early mistake last night, but more than made up for it with great play the rest of the game, including a couple of very key plays.  That 4th down catch was great.

He'll only get better.  

• Like (+1) 6

More times than not those early round tight ends aren’t that successful. 
I fully expect they will bring in some competition/depth but chances are it’s still knoxs job to lose next year and I’m ok with that. 
We have zero patience around here. Look at our cut list this season. 
Bass gone after game 1-2. 
Klein gone the entire first half of the season. 
Levi been gone for two years now. 
Norman out before the season even started. 
Edmunds cut or benched 

We wouldn’t have enough people to field a team if fans had their way. 
Knox may not be Kelce but he’s also not the worst option either. Drops or not he’s a monster mismatch for opposing defenses and they still have to game plan and try and cover the guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Kelce was not an elite pick.  We can find a TE later in the draft.  I also think Knox is trending upwards.  There is a reason JA throws to him in high value situations like 4th and 2.  

Also would like to see more of Gillium. 

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

We keep him till there is a better option. I dont like cutting players (not named Kelvin Benjamin) before we have adequate replacements. That said, Knox's drops are concerning especially as we are now talking championships and not just division wins or playoffs. 

If a past-great TE with couple of years left in the tank comes available (no one comes immediately to mind), then I would grab him in the offseason as a short term insurance policy in case Knox still has trouble catching. 

I think Henry is a FA.   But he is likely cost prohibitive given our other needs 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

I like Knox for angry runs. But he is by far not Kelce, Gronk caliber TE. This offence will be unstoppable if Bills add big fast TE with reliable hands. Draft or free agency

Oh.....he’s not “best right end of all time” caliber..... sigh

The guy has too much potential with separation abilities and as a check down option to give up on him due to crucial drops. The confusing aspect of his performance is that he makes some really nice catches and opens up the offense similar to SF and KC with Kittle and Kelce. You would think they ride it out with Knox. Hope he loses the dropsies. 

3 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I know this topic has been touched upon numerous times but here we go again. 

Knox has been more involved in the offense since the SF game - it has been great to see. This offense has been rolling. A top tier pass-catching TE is what this passing attack needs to be consistently elite in my opinion. It’s impossible for an opposing defense to account for Diggs, Beasley and a TE threat. A team with an elite corner like the Dolphins may be able to shadow Diggs and somewhat take him out of the game, but with Beasley and a TE threat the offense would still be dynamic. 

Knox has all the tools to be that threat we need in the redzone and over the middle of the field but this dude continues to raise question marks. How does he drop that TD last night? His hands can be too unpredictable for my liking. 

This upcoming draft has a couple of really good TE options. Do we stick with Knox as the starter one more season to see if it all clicks at some point? Do you guys want to spend a first or second round pick on a TE next yr? 

His hands worry me aswell. You just get the feeling he could drop a key touchdown or something, although sometimes he makes great plays. Personally I would take a franchise TE in round 1 although we need a DE

• Sad 1

I'd like an upgrade, but I don't think it's our biggest need right now. I'd go Edge/OLB, CB, G then TE. Our leading sackers are Klein and Addison (5) tied for 57th in the NFL. Imagine what a difference it would make having a guy like Watts or Donald chasing after Mahomes all day when we play the Chiefs. Forget what we did to Cam. It's how you handle guys like Rogers and Mahomes that matters.

Edited by GreggTX

55 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

keep letting him grow. Grab a TE if the value is there , later in draft. 

Dude is becoming a matchup nightmare and imo trending upwards . 

I would love to see this team stick with Knox as the starter, I think he has come on strong to end the season. But I do think they should look to find a competent vet TE to pair him with. I hope they can find a better complement to Knox than Kroft who while a decent player who does the more polished stuff that Knox doesn't but isn't reliable health wise. I don't know who is on the market that would make sense for their price range but it would be where I would try to go.

• Like (+1) 1

“ how do solve a problem like Maria”  😜

or insert “Dawson” 

for you young people, it from a movie called “ The sound of Music” ... 

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ve read over over on this board that TE is one of the harder positions to learn and become proficient at, being that is likely the case, and that those who make the decisions appear to disagree with the Knox has to go crowd, one might surmise that Knox isn’t going anywhere soon.

His potential is still so high in the eyes of the coaches that they are not willing to give up on him and are not done grooming him.

Y’all gonna have to get comfortable with this being the most likely course for some time to come. 

Go Bills!!!

I’d LOVE to upgrade at TE but I think you’ve hit the nail on the head—they’re committed to seeing if he fulfills the “raw potential” they told us about when they drafted him and he’s inexpensive.  I personally continue to find it maddening to see his dropped passes but then he flashes once or twice a game—is this his ceiling or will his floor rise?  

Regardless, on his rookie deal he’s merely a $1 million cap hit next year.  Look around there’s fat to trim elsewhere (Kroft was a big bust at 3/$18.75–16th highest paid TE, take a look at some other TE salaries for fun:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/tight-end/).

(Nice to be talking about this after a Pats game!)

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Like (+1) 1

Well the drop suxed it for sure.  As most of youse know I am not a Knox fan at all.  BUT he did atone for that drop for several real tough catches AND the catch that made the Hoodie toss the phone so in the end it all worked out....I am coming around on the kid....keep him and use picks elsewhere.  At this point I am more concerned about The Bease.....