What to do with Dawson Knox

bobobonators

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The answer to this is simple and timeless BPA. You do not reach in early rounds. If you are in the fourth or fifth maybe a little bit to fill a need. I know this will come as a downer for most but I see the bills taking a lineman (O or D) and a CB in the 1st three rounds. If they do I would not be disappointed. You build the trench capabilities and do everything you can to shut down the pass. Look how quickly CB depth evaporated this year.

BPA is “almost” always at a position of need, league wide, every year, since the beginning of the draft. The examples of this are endless. A strictly  BPA selection does not happen as frequently as most folk think it does.  

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, wjag said:

I said it upthread and I’ll repeat it again. Knox is growing on me.  If for no other reason he gave us the meme of the century with his toe-drag in front of Belichick and then Billy’s verbal and physical phone assault.  That was THE moment in the Bills season where us fans knew the tides had turned. 

I wouldn’t say that was THE moment where we knew the tides had turned, I would say it was much earlier. This isn’t even the first time we’ve made Belichick throw technology, I seem to remember him throwing a tablet during one of our games.

Why do anything with him, he’s still under his rookie contract. TE is one of the hardest positions to transition into the NFL. A lot of top prospects take a few years to make an impact. There is still hope for Knox and he ain’t too expensive. You could draft another guy but keep Knox for now. 

On 12/29/2020 at 9:40 AM, Rochesterfan said:

Since you know it has been talked about many times - call up the old thread and add thoughts rather than start over.  

I see no real way they are spending a high pick on TE.  They will have 5 on the roster already for next year even after letting Kroft go.  4 of them will be on rookie deals or minimum pay - so you are not saving money and this team is about developing talent and I think they will keep trying to develop players.  Plus Josh seems to really love Knox - so I imagine that helps also.

The Bills should be using early picks on DE, CB, OL, and LB to fill needs based upon FA losses.  If a TE falls big time and is the best player on the board - then go ahead - I just don’t see that being even a top 5 need for this team going forward.

I think WR is a bigger need than people think.. Beasley and Smoke are up there in age. Diggs and Davis are the future here but we could use another talented WR to add to the mix.. Preferably a slot guy that can return kicks.

Dawson Knox is a serviceable TE.. Could very well one day be a quality starter but we could absolutely use a premier player here.. 

As far as the draft is concerned, in no particular order, I think we need a WR/KR, TE, DE, NT, CB and LB.. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think WR is a bigger need than people think.. Beasley and Smoke are up there in age. Diggs and Davis are the future here but we could use another talented WR to add to the mix.. Preferably a slot guy that can return kicks.

Dawson Knox is a serviceable TE.. Could very well one day be a quality starter but we could absolutely use a premier player here.. 

As far as the draft is concerned, in no particular order, I think we need a WR/KR, TE, DE, NT, CB and LB.. 

With a QB like Allen WR’s will be dying to come here. The opposite situation is happening in Baltimore where WR’s are dying to leave or statistically dying. 

• Like (+1) 1

I only see two options:

1) Keep Knox as the primary TE and develop him. He has 2 years left on his cheap rookie deal. Use the money elsewhere... he's good enough.

2) Sign Zach Ertz. I'm almost certain the Eagles will use their out-clause on him because they have Goedert and Ertz isn't worth $12.5M/yr to them. He has a TON of talent. He's 6'5 250 with 4.7 speed. Most importantly, he's coming off a down year because the Eagles don't know how to use him. I firmly believe Josh would turn him into a perennial all-pro. 

Drafting a TE is a bad idea. We already have young talent.

Signing any other TE is a bad idea because they wouldn't be a good enough upgrade over Knox to justify the expense.

Either go cheap with Knox or go expensive and lock in a game changing reclamation project, which we know Beane loves.

Keep developing Knox.  Hes stil young.  Makes the great play, just needs the reps to be more consistent on the easy ones.  In terms of draft I think if one of the higher rated Te are there at the end of rd 1 it would help make the offense even more multiple.  Another plus athlete at Te to pair with Knox can help open up Pa even more.  I think its worth considering.  Keep putting pieces on the offense.

Good TEs are consistently good as pass catchers OR they are consistently good blockers. GREAT TEs do both.

Knox isn't consistent at either. The drops have not decreased, and the blocking hasn't improved.

I say bring in some affordable competition next year, and let him (them?) and Knox fight it out for the TE1 spot. If Knox doesn't improve, keep him at TE2 for 2 more years.

On 12/29/2020 at 9:25 AM, MarkyMannn said:

Yeah the TD drop was disappointing, but he made at least two very tough catches later in the game

Ive noticed this in other games too.  He makes some really tough catches here and there and seems to drop the easier ones.  Wonder if its more mental than anything else

Edited by BillsCuse
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BananaB said:

Why do anything with him, he’s still under his rookie contract. TE is one of the hardest positions to transition into the NFL. A lot of top prospects take a few years to make an impact. There is still hope for Knox and he ain’t too expensive. You could draft another guy but keep Knox for now. 

He wasn't one of those, however.  He was a guy who caught a couple dozen balls in college.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He wasn't one of those, however.  He was a guy who caught a couple dozen balls in college.

Doesn’t have to be a top prospect in college, that was just to make a point that TE is not an easy transition to the NFL. Knox is still a guy with a lot of potential that we don’t pay an arm and a leg for. 

47 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Doesn’t have to be a top prospect in college, that was just to make a point that TE is not an easy transition to the NFL. Knox is still a guy with a lot of potential that we don’t pay an arm and a leg for. 

what other type of top prospect did you mean?

3 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Good TEs are consistently good as pass catchers OR they are consistently good blockers. GREAT TEs do both.

Knox isn't consistent at either. The drops have not decreased, and the blocking hasn't improved.

I say bring in some affordable competition next year, and let him (them?) and Knox fight it out for the TE1 spot. If Knox doesn't improve, keep him at TE2 for 2 more years.

Knox gives off the vibe of potentially being a stud running/catching TE, but somehow falls short more often than not.

I think the Bills should be targeting a stud TE this off-season as highly as any position on the field, and dedicating significant assets to the acquisition.

High draft pick, trade, or free agent....I would be looking for a stud TE all the time.

I think it's the number one way that this offense can improve to an even higher level.

I actually thought about Gronk.  Is his tank low?  What was the term on his K in TB?  Would he come play for a year in WNY?  He's probably not the answer but I would look to get a Gronk type in here if we can!  I know they don't grow on trees.  

Edited by Nextmanup

I like Knox, and hope he continues to develop.

I think drafting another TE to pair with Knox is the way to go.

Tommy Tremble from Notre Dame is my guy.

Keep an eye on him in the college playoff game tomorrow(he’s #24). He’s a great run blocker, can play H-back, and has the speed to be a threat in the passing game. 

I think he he can do the things Gilliam, Lee Smith, and Kroft  can do all in one player.

He also seems like a “process” guy.

Get it done, McBeane!!

3 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I'm all for affordable competition and Knox is unlikely to go anywhere on his rookie contract.

But factually, Knox's drops have almost cut in half (from 20% to 11%).  Visually to me his blocking has improved, and his physicality and moves as a route runner may be starting to improve.

It would be a fair point to say that 11% is still unacceptable for a good TE, but the statement was "the drops have not decreased", and they have.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1