What to do with Dawson Knox

bobobonators

9 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Outside of Knox, none of the TE on the roster could be considered a viable pass-catching threat. 

TE is a top 5 need for this team. What happens to this offense if Diggs gets injured? We already cant run the ball effectively. This is an aerial attack offense, which I love. As such, we need a reliable threat at TE. Im not saying that’s our biggest need, but certainly top 5 on the team and arguably our biggest need on offense. 

I agree about adding to the oline. At this point, you go all in on Allen and this offense for the next couple of seasons in my opinion. Try to keep the defense respectable, but not at the expense of the offense. 

Depends on what you are looking for.  I think you have Sweeney and Knox as your all around TEs and you have Becker and Lee Smith as blocking guys, you have Gilliam as your special team/FB guy for next year.

If you are looking for their version of Kelce - they already have that in Beasley.  I do not see the Bills drafting for a Kelce/Gesicki - WR type because they have that with their WRs.  If someone fell in the draft - it is an option, but I don’t see them making that a big part of their plan.  I don’t see the Bills wanting to switch the 80 throws to Beasley to a TE and cutting Beasley to the 30/40 targets.  Look at the KC attempts (2 guys Kelce/Hill) get the majority of throws and everyone else is 30 -40 targets.  The Bills have that with Diggs and Beasley and several others at 30-40.  If you target a TE - you are pulling throws from Beasley.

If Diggs is hurt a TE is not the answer - they have 4 other WRs to play and will attack with the WRs.

TE might be the 5th option as a need:  it would be after DE/DL, OL, CB, and LB and it is much more likely that those needs will have a BPA over TE that has maybe 1 or 2 guys and one like Pitts is going top 10 - the other is projected late round pick - so not a BPA in 1st round.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Yeah the TD drop was disappointing, but he made at least two very tough catches later in the game

Exactly! Yes, he dropped a sure thing TD pass. All of them do at times through out their career. He more than made up for it the rest of the game with some clutch catches that were pretty nice. Especially the sideline catch where he dragged his feet to stay inbounds. 

that drop video. I see him get off the line and out of his break impressively well. Hes a great athlete. Coach em up. I think week to week its a gameplan type thing (based on defense style and LB ability) so this game I think Daboll thought Knox was a mismatch. I thought the 5-6 DBs pats played out of their minds / very subtle grabbing and holding. The guy #31 on beasley was fantastic - think they mentioned he ran a 4.3. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

seems like he does this every game though. Keep him around until you can upgrade the position then cut him loose. I’m tired of the knox rollercoaster at this point.

Josh says he's getting better. 

I think the reason he says this, and an overlooked factor, is the reason that was an easy gimme ball.  Knox is figuring out his route options and his "body language" to let Josh know what he's going to do.

Earlier in the season, I think that would have looked like a missed throw by Allen or a high-degree-of-difficulty circus catch because he and Allen weren't on the same page so the ball and Knox wouldn't have been in the same place at the same time.  Yeah, I'm saying that drop represents progress.

Statistically, his catch % is better, his drop % is down.  Competition is good, and it won't be 100% that Sweeney can come back and pick up where he left off.  I think we see the Bills make a couple of moves at TE.  I think it's not going to be the 1st or 2nd round pick a lot of guys here hope for.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Josh says he's getting better. 

I think the reason he says this, and an overlooked factor, is the reason that was an easy gimme ball.  Knox is figuring out his route options and his "body language" to let Josh know what he's going to do.

Earlier in the season, I think that would have looked like a missed throw by Allen or a high-degree-of-difficulty circus catch because he and Allen weren't on the same page.

Statistically, his catch % is better, his drop % is down.  But competition is good, and it won't be 100% that Sweeney can come back and pick up where he left off.  I think we see the Bills make a couple of moves at TE but I think it's not going to be the 1st or 2nd round pick a lot of guys here hope for.

yea i liked sweeney a lot

5 minutes ago, balln said:

that drop video. I see him get off the line and out of his break impressively well. Hes a great athlete. Coach em up. I think week to week its a gameplan type thing (based on defense style and LB ability) so this game I think Daboll thought Knox was a mismatch. I thought the 5-6 DBs pats played out of their minds / very subtle grabbing and holding. The guy #31 on beasley was fantastic - think they mentioned he ran a 4.3. 

Heh.  I'm watching gamepass right now, and wondering where you think the "subtle" part comes in?  Early in the game White being flagged for DPI after Diggs was being mugged on 3rd down, no flag. 

The good news is that the Bills seemed to take it totally in stride.  I wonder if they had 'Zo give his "it's Foxboro, expect that things won't go your way.  Let it go, don't let it hijack you for the next 3 plays"

On the "coach him up" part, I have ????s in my mind about the Bills TE coach Rob Boras.  I have a "down" on him from his stint as OC of the Rams.  That may be unfair of me - he may be a great TE coach.  But we're seeing where a different WR coach seems to be getting a lot of credit from the WR for helping them elevate their play.  We're not seeing a lot of elevating in the TE room, all I'll say, though there may be incremental improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Heh.  I'm watching gamepass right now, and wondering where you think the "subtle" part comes in?  Early in the game White being flagged for DPI after Diggs was being mugged on 3rd down, no flag. 

The good news is that the Bills seemed to take it totally in stride.  I wonder if they had 'Zo give his "it's Foxboro, expect that things won't go your way.  Let it go, don't let it hijack you for the next 3 plays"

as a bills fan - i was screaming the entire game. BB gets refs to put the flags away on his DBs and his OL. been like that for 20 years.

as objective as i can be ... BB always skirts the rules ...hold/illegal contact just enough to mess up our WR but not engouh to get a call

57 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

I have been very vocal on this he needs to go. if its a drop once in a while it happens but this guy seems to always have key drops that could affect us if we are playing better teams in the playoffs. there is a reason a guy with his talent dropped to the 4th round. i say go after another TE next year. 

I believe this is too harsh. doesn't mean I'm not down with drafting another one or upgrading. but you are wrong in my opinion about him "needing to go". I believe he is an asset to this offense, albeit, a weapon with flaws. 

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Yeah the TD drop was disappointing, but he made at least two very tough catches later in the game

As Diggs said in post game interview Knox only catches the really tough ones and he did not mean it as an insult.  When Josh has to make a tough throw he looks at Knox.

1 hour ago, Wsam4031 said:

I have been very vocal on this he needs to go. if its a drop once in a while it happens but this guy seems to always have key drops that could affect us if we are playing better teams in the playoffs. there is a reason a guy with his talent dropped to the 4th round. i say go after another TE next year. 

I want to make sure I am understanding this right-you want him let go as in cut him? Right now? After the season? When? I’m guessing you mean after the season, if that’s the case who is the immediate upgrade (keep in mind he is still on his rookie deal and will be that way for 2 more years)? If you mean right now, what’s the benefit this late in the season?

1 hour ago, golfball323 said:

The Bills need their Kelce. Go get him...

I couldn’t disagree more for this one reason... the NFLs top 3 TEs (Kelce, Kittle, Waller) were all 3rd rd or later draft picks. they were never thought of a the next “Kelce/Witten/Gonzalez” etc. 

McBeane need to continue to draft the best player available that fits the Buffalo Bills culture they have built. 
JA17 even mentioned postgame last night about how much talent Knox has and speculated about “if” Knox ever puts it all together how great he can be.  
Sure... if there is a stud TE available that fits the culture, by all means, draft him. But don’t go out of your way to find your “Kelce.”

Sammy Watkins is a perfect example of that mentality not working out for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JY422 said:

I couldn’t disagree more for this one reason... the NFLs top 3 TEs (Kelce, Kittle, Waller) were all 3rd rd or later draft picks. they were never thought of a the next “Kelce/Witten/Gonzalez” etc. 

McBeane need to continue to draft the best player available that fits the Buffalo Bills culture they have built. 
JA17 even mentioned postgame last night about how much talent Knox has and speculated about “if” Knox ever puts it all together how great he can be.  
Sure... if there is a stud TE available that fits the culture, by all means, draft him. But don’t go out of your way to find your “Kelce.”

Sammy Watkins is a perfect example of that mentality not working out for the Bills. 

just pick BPA. always. rely on your pro scouting to fill in w stopgaps year to year

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, njbuff said:

People forget that TE’s DO NOT develop overnight.

They usually take 2-3 years to hit their stride.

Knox’s ability alone makes me have faith he can put it all together.

They will eventually need a decent TE2 though.

sweeney