It still doesn’t seem real

Just Jack

59 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I've been a fan for 40 years. This team is the real deal.  Going to be fun to watch the next few years.  It's December 1990 all over again.

Same - and it feels the same way. This isn't a flukey one-year thing. We have a GM who knows how to build a team, a coach who knows how to win games, and a QB with an arm made for Buffalo and a winning attitude.

This feels amazing right now.  I'm excited about the playoffs, but also don't have any kind of "we have to take advantage this year" sense of urgency (though the team should always have that).  This team can be a contender for a long time.

• Like (+1) 3

Since the Arizona game there's been a shift. In the games since then, the only time the other team is ever in the game is when the Bills make a mistake and turn it over. They beat the Seahawks, Chargers, and Niners by 10. They beat Pittsburgh by 11. They beat Denver and New England by 29. Ever since they chewed up that final 7:10 against Pittsburgh it's felt like they've been more dominant. Early in the season it was like, yeah they can score but as soon as they're ahead they give up the tying TD or a TD that makes it a one score game. That hasn't really been the case lately. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not me.  I've been through all the heartache like the rest of you.  Like the 90s, I believe this team is better than anyone they play at the moment. 

If I have any angst, it is the media overhyping the Bills chances against KC.  If I am KC I'm getting a bit pissed.  The media needs to pump the breaks on that.  The Bills KC game is way off in the playoff distance and the road to travel to that is littered with enemies just wanting to take the Bills on.  

No matter how this season ends, I am a happy man.  This has been the greatest ride in years and I am filled with nothing but optimism for the future of this franchise.  Last night was cathartic.  Today I can't stop watching youtube and all the piling on that is taking place.   I want a SB and SC badly.  But more than anything, I want teams that are a legit threat season after season to compete for one.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

We are playing great and of course I just want the wins and joy to continue - but in the back of my mind I'm a little nervous that we are peaking too soon due primarily to a great offense.   I think of the 2016 Falcons who had a high powered offense but a defense that needed a couple more key pieces.  They ascended to the Super Bowl against the early season odds and looked great in the first half, then got steamrolled in the second when their defense wore down from the constant pummeling.   

So part of me thinks maybe with one more year to upgrade our run defense we would be unstoppable, and that would be the best time to get to the Super Bowl.  While I love the way things are going, my nagging fear is getting to the Super Bowl and losing again.   That can negatively impact a team's future and I don't want to see that happen to this team.  WHEN this team gets to the Super Bowl, it is imperative that they win on that first trip!   Of course the other part of me says GO NOW, as we've got lightning in a bottle and you can't be sure what the future holds.  

I realize some might say there's no reason to fast forward to a Super Bowl when we would first have to win 3 playoff games in a tough AFC to get there.  But ask yourself honestly, outside of the Super Bowl win we all crave (and want to see this team enjoy) if we have to lose this year would you rather have that loss be in one of the playoff games, or in the Super Bowl itself?  I'm torn between hope and fear and there is no doubt that is due to past history. 

I Understand where your coming from, I still have an involuntary twitch....

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The difference is that it’s just us fans who know anything about all the failures. There’s nobody in the Bills organization or on the field who was there for much if any of it. Josh Allen doesn’t know about it for sure. He’s got his own career to play for. 

I was thinking exactly the same thing last night.  To us long-suffering Bills fans, the Bills exorcised two decades of demons for us , but none of the current Bills coaches or players experienced the 56-10 thrashing or any of the other butt whoopings previous Bills teams suffered over the last 20 years at the hands of Belichick and the Pats.  To them, the Pats were just another opponent to be beaten on their way to winning a Super Bowl. 

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

The SB years, if the team was behind in a game, we didn’t worry because they were capable to come back and win. During the drought, when the team was ahead, we’d wonder how they would lose again. 

My wife likes telling the story of the Jags/Bills in London game.  The Bills has just scored to take the lead late in the game. Her and the fans are standing, cheering, and just sitting there in my seat, arms crossed.  She asks me why I’m not excited.  I replied, “just wait, they’ll lose”.  Sure enough they did.  Even last night, I still had the same feeling until they got up 31-9.  Then I was able to relax some. 

This Bills team has proven that they're not going to collapse.  Since they lost to KC back in October, they've won 8 of their 9 games, and in their lone loss to Arizona, it took a miraculous pass play to beat them after they scored the go ahead TD on a spectacular play of their own with only seconds left.

This team plays clutch, starting with Josh Allen, but he's not alone.   This ain't the old Bills who so regularly broke fans' hearts over the last twenty years.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Absolutely I feel this way. Thing is, I didn't feel that way in the 90's. I think the 4 SB loses changed my perception/outlook of the organization.

I still don't know if Allen is good, waiting for him to go all Carson Wentz...

I'm still waiting for your low effort trolling to improve.  Neither of us should hold our breaths.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

It can change just like that? Hmm, I'm skeptical, but good for you I guess. I'm not there yet, need to see a championship first.

Ah, just saw this.  Do you really watch the Bills?  Like, at all?  Have you seen the team since 2000?  If a team went 9-7 it would be like a Moral Victory Super Bowl.  If a team went 8-8 or 7-9, it would be like a deep run.

I, for one, am stoked that this team will have been in the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years.  STOKED.  The squads between 2000-2016 could not do that *****.  At all.  The team would lose to Steelers' backups.  The team would have Kyle Orton under center.  The team drafted EJ Manuel.  And on and on and on...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

My record prediction this year was 10 and 6

Seems I was wrong again :)

Yeah, but aren't you happy you were wrong????    I didn't make any record prediction.    Without any preseason games, I had no clue what this team would be like.   I certainly never thought they'd be this good, and they were playing a gauntlet of league powers: Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, Chiefs, Steelers, Titans.   I'm sure happy that I underestimated them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Yeah, but aren't you happy you were wrong????    I didn't make any record prediction.    Without any preseason games, I had no clue what this team would be like.   I certainly never thought they'd be this good, and they were playing a gauntlet of league powers: Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, Chiefs, Steelers, Titans.   I'm sure happy that I underestimated them.

I was going to start a Festivus: Where I was Wrong About the 2020 Bills (and airing of grievances) thread... at the end of the season.  Loving where things are right now and didn't want to jinx it by starting a thread now.

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Since 1986

Oh, so you're a baby then.  🙂

Seriously, please relax.  They're good.  Like really, really good.  And they've been constantly improving since 2017.

Edited by Groin
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The difference is that it’s just us fans who know anything about all the failures. There’s nobody in the Bills organization or on the field who was there for much if any of it. Josh Allen doesn’t know about it for sure. He’s got his own career to play for. 

I think you’re onto something here.... but it seems like Josh Allen feels like his career will be defined by bringing The City Of Buffalo and the fans of this team, redemption. He has a very close relationship with Jim Kelly. It’s impossible that some of that regret hasn’t made its way through to Allen. That he can right all the mistakes of the past, doesn’t seem like a challenge too great for him.

That’s impressive. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh i think they "know" about the failures,  i think they somewhat "feed" off of it, the old chip on shoulder routine.  Fortunately they just dont have the psychological scars the fans have.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's be real, even if the odds favor the Bills except against the Chiefs, any playoff game can be the last game... including the very first one. This year it would be soooo disappointing but it can happen. But there's nothing "sky is always falling" about it. It's just the nature of the Beast. Only one team out of 32 leaves the winner.

Edited by Jerome007

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Maybe it’s because of the past 20 years, but I still feel like “okay, when does it all fall apart like usual.”  Anyone else feeling this way?

Reminds me of this all time clip from the Holy Roller:

"Madden wants to know if its real. It is! Get your big butt outta here!"

https://twitter.com/nflthrowback/status/1048705628200259584?s=20