Changed my mind - Bring back Milano and let Edmunds walk

5 hours ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Whats with all the hate for Edmonds? People forget he is only 22. When Milano was 22 he was in a battle with Tanner Vallijo or however you spell his name. Point being he got better. I expect Edmunds to get better as well. Matt will make more money in the meantime. But we can have both.

Because he flat out sucks.  He makes no plays, makes no difference.  I defy anyone who defends Edmunds to post a video, screen shot, pic, article, ANYTHING showing a single play where Edmunds blew up a play in a critical situation.  Big 3rd down sack, red zone INT, stuffed the hole on 4th and 1 . . . it doesn't exist...

How long do you want to give him?  87 year old Cam Newton faked him out of his jockstrap on the TD run.  any competent athlete would have drilled him into next Tuesday . . . 

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Because he flat out sucks.  He makes no plays, makes no difference.  I defy anyone who defends Edmunds to post a video, screen shot, pic, article, ANYTHING showing a single play where Edmunds blew up a play in a critical situation.  Big 3rd down sack, red zone INT, stuffed the hole on 4th and 1 . . . it doesn't exist...

How long do you want to give him?  87 year old Cam Newton faked him out of his jockstrap on the TD run.  any competent athlete would have drilled him into next Tuesday . . . 

Don’t remember what team it was against but a couple weeks ago Edmunds stuffed the RB for no gain or a loss on a critical play. When I remember what team it was against I can post a video. 

He does make plays here and there but not consistently. The same issues have been there since his rookie year. When looking for the run stuff I mentioned I saw a ton of plays where he came up just short of making a play because he took a poor angle, got washed out of play by a blocker or just made a terrible attempt at an open field tackle. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/29/2020 at 2:30 AM, BullBuchanan said:

I've seen him get abused by TE's in coverage. Is it too much to ask any LB to cover modern TE's? Maybe, but if that's all he brings you, what exactly is his value?

I know zilch about the LBs in the upcoming draft class, but if there's an elite, do-it-all Urlacher, Willis, Kuechly type guy out there, I really want them to go get him. Our defense really lacks that game changer that can take over that side of the ball.

Edmunds age is becoming a meme of " Did you know Nick O'Leary is Jack Nicklaus' grandson?" proportions. I don't care if he's 18 or 35. If he can't play, he can't play. Also, age really doesn't matter all that much because it's the miles that get to players eventually.

Oh for crying out loud, he's the MLB and 22-year-old CAPTAIN of a defense on a 12-3 team which has dominated five straight games (and he held the same role on a team that was the #3 defense last year). They have allowed fewer than 260 yards the last three weeks. All players have bad plays (Aaron Donald looked silly a couple times in that game where he also had a few sacks against us), but if you've watched Edmunds and your takeaway is that he's a reclamation project or a bad player, then you probably don't know what you're talking about. Making the Pro Bowl this year was a stretch, but it was the players and coaches who sent him there. And say that nonsense to McDermott or Frazier and see what reaction your "expert" take gets. Or most football analysts.

Moreover, it's just sad that this team is rolling in all aspects of the game for the first time since the 1990s and some here's takeaway is how we need to get rid of a player who is a respected captain of the team. How miserable. And I will keep mentioning 22-years-old, because it's relevant whereas O'Leary's grandfather isn't and if you don't get that, maybe your take is a wee bit chilly and maybe you should enjoy this team's run and not try to dismantle it in your head b/c you think you know better. Frankly, I'm finding the "he has no instinvts" comments becoming a lazy meme, especially when I've seen him with my own eyes take over games and sniff out plays from sideline to sideline.

One other thing you need to remember is YOU DON'T KNOW what he's supposed to be doing or the game plan.

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No doubt you bring him back for 2021. But I just don't see him as the long term answer at MLB.  

I don’t either I saw him 15 yards down field getting blocked. His played better the last few weeks but I really think we can do better 

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Milanos worth to buffalo is much much higher than his worth on the open market. Not sure he will see very big offers in free agency. That said I’m not cool with paying him 8-10 million a year and it only takes one team to splurge. I would expect similar to lawson they’ll let him test the waters hoping they can compete with other offers. I don’t have high hopes of him returning, nor do I have high hopes of Daryl Williams returning (he’s gonna get a monster deal). This is what happens when teams get good, gonna have to let some players walk after their rookie deals. 

Both have injury and consistency issues.. let someone else overpay. If the contract is fair, let them come back..

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The injury is the great unknown.  Chances are he still needs off-season shoulder surgery.  If that is the case maybe 2021 looks more like 2019 when it really looked liek he was playing at a high level.  

The problem is with his brain, not his shoulder. All season we've seen him take bad angles on runs and miss open field tackles. He's a tremendous athlete but not a great football player. My ideal situation is trading him to a team that likes his "upside" next year and replacing him immediately.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The problem is with his brain, not his shoulder. All season we've seen him take bad angles on runs and miss open field tackles. He's a tremendous athlete but not a great football player. My ideal situation is trading him to a team that likes his "upside" next year and replacing him immediately.

And on the cam touchdown he performed his legendary QB hurry technique -- hurry past him while he whiffs

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They were talking up Milano tonight before he played lights out. Strange. I wonder who told ESPN Milano needed to be spotlighted. Milano definitely delivered though under the spotlight. 

He's a very good player. I think he gets a 1 year deal to prove he can stay healthy. 

he'll get a better offer than that from other teams

12 hours ago, ColeB said:

The coaches, players and fans all vote for the Pro Bowl with the votes for each group counting one third so it’s not like we the fans put Edmunds in by a ridiculous number of votes.

Not saying it was a fluke, I’m aware of the voting structure - I just don’t see the case for it this year personally. Doesn’t mean the kid should be released either.

14 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Hes another one of those high ceiling guys that im sure we want to give as much time to develop as possible.  Its pretty funny listening to commentators who clearly don't watch bills games talk about how good he has been lol

I was going to post something similar.  The game broadcast guys have a support team handing them cheat sheets to help prepare for these games.  The quality of that information is not always as accurate and up to date as it could be!

The corporate line on Edmunds remains what it is around when he was drafted--freak of talent, high producer sort of stuff.

The reality is he is a disappointment.

Watch how often an offensive player is able to push Edmunds to a spot that Edmunds doesn't want to be in.  He goes along for the ride all the time.

Milano gets off those blocks and still manages to make a stop.  Their totally different classes of player IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

I think the discrepancy between fan takes on Edmunds and the league's take on Edmunds is because his negative plays are easily visible on broadcast footage and his positive plays aren't. Everyone sees him take a terrible angle on Cam's TD run. But we don't see the passing windows he takes away on a lot of downs. Edmunds is not a stat sheet MLB but he makes a difference on the field. I would prefer to have both Edmunds and Milano here but as others have mentioned Williams is the most important signing this offseason.

• Like (+1) 4