Update: Beasley Out for Miami game. Beasley Injury Thread

I don’t expect to see Beasley practice at all this week or next but expect him in the wild card game. He doesn’t need to practice, and McD has been great manipulating the injury report to keep everyone guessing. I’ve been saying this all year and people still dig into that practice report like there’s much useful information there. We’ve had guys practice who obviously ended up playing hurt, and guys who didn’t practice or were limited come out and play well.  We won’t know until next weekend whether he plays in the WC or not so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I don’t expect to see Beasley practice at all this week or next but expect him in the wild card game. He doesn’t need to practice, and McD has been great manipulating the injury report to keep everyone guessing. I’ve been saying this all year and people still dig into that practice report like there’s much useful information there. We’ve had guys practice who obviously ended up playing hurt, and guys who didn’t practice or were limited come out and play well.  We won’t know until next weekend whether he plays in the WC or not so just sit back and enjoy the ride.

and yet there are some here who say the players will get rusty if they sit Sunday

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think people are reading into the Stills signing and the Jennings/Gentry visits far too much, and that they're likely unrelated to Brown and Beasley's situations.

McDermott said today that Beane has had his eye on Stills for a while, and that his signing and Beasley's health are "two separate conversations".

Meanwhile, the Bills wanted Kumerow back on the practice squad but couldn't get him there. They wanted another WR on the practice squad that could be called up to contribute on special teams if needed. Their only current practice squad WR was Duke, and he's not known for his contributions in that department. So the Bills brought in Jennings and Gentry and decided to sign Jennings to the practice squad.

Might Beasley miss a game or two? Of course. I just don't think that the Bills WR visits and signings have anything to do with it.

Agree.  Again we had wrs coming in last week too...before the injury. 

20 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The biggest things I’m learning from this thread is that WORDS MATTER. 

They have definitions for a reason and they’re used to communicate specific things. 

Out means he’s out for a game. 

Done means he’s done for the season, but that’s pretty vague... he could mean done for his career?

The fact that Beasley hasn’t been ruled out this week and Reggie Gilliam has means something. 

It means McD is keeping everyone guessing.  

Add “week to week” + “critical playoff game in 2 weeks” = no Beasley this week.   He is likely to play next week for playoffs.

I’m thinking Diggs and Allen will play the first quarter.   Brown maybe the entire first half.  Expect heavy doses of Barclay, Davis and McKenzie - which means not much scoring against Miami’s defense.  Expect more 12 packages, throws to TEs and runs.  Miami will stack up the run.  

I expect to see a lot of backups by 3Q.   I hate to say it but I think we lose a close game as a desperate Miami does enough to win.  Only way we win in this scenario is a lot of Miami turnovers.   

I want to sweep the AFC East but I don’t think they will risk injuries to key players in this game.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Just listened to McDermotts WGR appearance and he didn’t say anything about Beasley. 

Only that Stills has been a target of Beane’s for awhile.

You have to listen to what he's NOT saying, it's the silence between the notes.  Follow the money.  My guess is Beasley and his spleen end up in Letchworth State Park next to the new stadium... 

:beer:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

It means McD is keeping everyone guessing.  

Add “week to week” + “critical playoff game in 2 weeks” = no Beasley this week.   He is likely to play next week for playoffs.

I’m thinking Diggs and Allen will play the first quarter.   Brown maybe the entire first half.  Expect heavy doses of Barclay, Davis and McKenzie - which mean nit much scoring against Miami’s defense.  Expect more 12 packages, throws to TEs and runs.  Miami will stack up the run.  

I expect to see a lot of backups by 3Q.   I hate to say it but I think we lose a close game as a desperate Miami does enough to win.  Only way we win in this scenario is a lot of Miami turnovers.   

I want to sweep the AFC East but I don’t think they will risk injuries to key players in this game.  

We are about to be treated to a Bills offense that will look very familiar to Bills fans. Prepare yourselves for a trip down memory lane where we can again experience the wonders of a Tyrod Taylor or Kyle Orten offense in all it's glory.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

We are about to be treated to a Bills offense that will look very familiar to Bills fans. Prepare yourselves for a trip down memory lane where we can again experience the wonders of a Tyrod Taylor or Kyle Orten offense in all it's glory.

I think you are correct.  Barclay, Davis, McKenzie, Kroft, Smith, and maybe a little Taiwan too.   

It’s because our media don’t know how to ask open ended questions.

They continue to talk and fill in easy escape routes for the guest to take.

Instead of asking what is the injury to Cole Beasley, they say something like Is Stills related to Cole’s injury or is it unrelated?

So McDermott always takes the evasive, non commital route on the question because our media talk to much and fill with a bunch of and/or statements.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Just listened to McDermotts WGR appearance and he didn’t say anything about Beasley. 

Only that Stills has been a target of Beane’s for awhile.

He did mention Beasley, as he was asked specifically if there was an update, but just said he is still week to week and going through rehab.

Nothing new to go off of

14 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

He did mention Beasley, as he was asked specifically if there was an update, but just said he is still week to week and going through rehab.

Nothing new to go off of

He did not mention Beasley’s injury the WGR interview, other than to say Stills has been a target for awhile.

Just listened to it again. It was only a 9-minute interview.

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He did not mention Beasley’s injury the WGR interview, other than to say Stills has been a target for awhile.

Just listened to it again. It was only a 9-minute interview.

Sorry maybe we listened to different links...here is what I listened to:  

can you provide the link to what you are referring to? thanks

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're speaking of Fromm, but maybe it's Davis Webb we're going to see on Sunday and that we have in mind as a future backup QB. 

Daboll was asked about him in his Monday presser and he practically gushed.  (interview on buffalobills.com, 11 minutes in, sorry I can't figure out how to link to that time).  Said he could go on and on about him, he's a tremendous teammate, he's totally unselfish, he's a developing QB in this league.  Reminded the press he was drafted in the 3rd round*.  Said he's the best teammate he's ever seen, he does a tremendous job helping Josh prepare for games, "spends a lot of time with Shae** and going through the team we're about to play" "he's an awesome guy" - he went on for almost 2 minutes

*2017, by the Giants; in college at Texas Tech, he was the starting QB for half a season and lost his job after injury to....Patrick Mahomes.  He finished as a grad assistant at Cal.

**Shae Tierney, assistant QB coach

On the one hand, if he's a great developing QB, it's hard to understand why he got passed around from the Giants to the Jets to the Bills like a bestselling novel.  On the other hand, a lot of that goes with front office "churn" where the GM who drafted him or brought him in got fired.

Josh called him a Coach in their preseason private workouts. Claimed he ran those practices. Many hands make light work. Glad we got him and looks like we know how to use him. 

Edited by BuffaloMatt

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It certainly means Beasley doesn't have an injury that they can definitively rule as shelving him for months (like an ACL tear) or requiring immediate surgery.

If it is a meniscal tear as Trimble (Bangedup) and others speculated, we're 3 days out.  They've probably reduced the swelling with some combination of lymph massage (MLD), ultrasound, cortisone shots and draining, and he's got mobility back in the joint.  Now the question will be can he use the joint without locking it up again?  And if that's successful, can he make the movements he needs to make in order to play effectively?  And if that's successful, can he practice? 

If that's what it is, I've had meniscal tears myself and had a colleague who had a very similar tear in a similar location in the same timeframe (we went to the same doctor and traded notes).  We had the same initial treatment - draining, anti-inflammatories, cortisone shot, PT.  His knee swelled up like a melon when he tried to resume normal activity and he required surgery.  Mine hurt like the dickens for months when I went for a hike or whatever and I wore a compression sleeve and a brace, but the swelling was controlled by those things plus anti-inflammatories and it healed eventually without surgery.  Again- we had the same physician and the same medical insurance, so my take-home was that this is an injury where small differences in the location and extent of the tear and the individual's response to it make a huge difference.

I really welcomed the ultrasound and the MLD massage and wished I could have had those every day.  I'm sure Beasley can.

A couple years ago my wife had a meniscus injury - tried rehab etc didn't help and she eventually had surgery which cleared it right up.  When the doctor got in there it was worse than what he thought from the imaging etc.  Not directly relevant - but gives me an excuse to post cool pic of her meniscus before/after surgery  :)

image.thumb.png.295f652f57d9e4dcd77cac0286f4b9f9.png

36 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Sorry maybe we listened to different links...here is what I listened to:  

can you provide the link to what you are referring to? thanks

Good find, yes definitely a different interview.

Yeah, you have to believe it’s not a torn ligament injury then.

Hopefully it’s a normal strain.

CB's injury is all speculation of course. It could be anything, or nothing at all and pure precautionary.

That being said, I am somewhat of an expert on the knee having gone through what's commonly referred to as as "Jones Procedure"

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-84463-8_49

I unfortunately tore not only my ACL while playing Hockey in Europe in the 80's, but also my LCL ( Lateral Collateral Ligament) & MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament).

I was in a full leg brace for almost 2 years.

The one thing that stands out in my mind is after I initially got hurt during the game, I was in excruciating pain. Five minutes later, I was on my feet and I was pain free. Unfortunately I was also misdiagnosed and played on it for another six months, both Hockey and Soccer, and compounded the other injuries I did not know about.

The knee is a tricky thing. Initial correct diagnosis is key though.

Just my $0.02

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Returntoglory said:

CB's injury is all speculation of course. It could be anything, or nothing at all and pure precautionary.

That being said, I am somewhat of an expert on the knee having gone through what's commonly referred to as as "Jones Procedure"

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-84463-8_49

I unfortunately tore not only my ACL while playing Hockey in Europe in the 80's, but also my LCL ( Lateral Collateral Ligament) & MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament).

I was in a full leg brace for almost 2 years.

The one thing that stands out in my mind is after I initially got hurt during the game, I was in excruciating pain. Five minutes later, I was on my feet and I was pain free. Unfortunately I was also misdiagnosed and played on it for another six months, both Hockey and Soccer, and compounded the other injuries I did not know about.

The knee is a tricky thing. Initial correct diagnosis is key though.

Just my $0.02

In 2020 NFL if Beasley had done all that to his knee, it would have been reported by now and McDermott wouldn’t be talking about rehab.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, stevewin said:

A couple years ago my wife had a meniscus injury - tried rehab etc didn't help and she eventually had surgery which cleared it right up.  When the doctor got in there it was worse than what he thought from the imaging etc.  Not directly relevant - but gives me an excuse to post cool pic of her meniscus before/after surgery  :)

image.thumb.png.295f652f57d9e4dcd77cac0286f4b9f9.png

can your wife play in the slot?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1